Author Topic: Advice for a first-time GM  (Read 1838 times)

Dark_Stranger

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Advice for a first-time GM
« on: December 10, 2015, 12:12:12 AM »
Despite never having run an RPG before, I wound up convincing my board game playgroup (i.e. my little siblings) to try their hand at Legend. The problem being that we'll now have nearly half a dozen amateur players, ranging in age from 20 to 8, being led around by an amateur GM.  :P
I think I have a firm grasp on the rules. The older players will probably help out the ones who are technically too young to be playing something this complicated, and I can always nudge everyone in the right direction if all else fails. So I guess what I'm really looking for is pointers on how to not crash and burn within the first few sessions. (I have already written an outline for a basic preliminary quest and helped the two youngest get their characters more-or-less finished, if anyone wants to see what I'm working with at the moment.) Any advice at all would be appreciated!

rejectedreality

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Advice for a first-time GM
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 06:14:03 AM »
To be honest, I'm surprised you have chosen Legend as your first RPG. It's one of the more complex that I've played, in terms of stuff people need to keep track of in combat. I hate to say it, but it doesn't really seem like the best system to use if it's everyone's first RPG.

That being said, it's my favorite, and it has some of the best-designed systems that I've seen in most RPGs. So. A few pointers that may be helpful, with most being system agnostic.

-Have everyone be on the same page for campaign tone and scale. It's best if everyone knows that Legend is typically bombastic, not down-to-earth.
-Having a "session zero" in which everyone builds their characters together can help smooth over misunderstandings, and can encourage players to make sure they have a reason to work together. It's best if the party does not have a kobold and a human who thinks all kobolds deserve death, for example.
-When I DM, my motto is "Create a situation, not a plot". That basically means that I create characters, environments, and settings, but don't plan how the characters should interact with it. This is partly because I highly value player agency, and also because it's often futile to predict what actions the character will be taking.
- With Legend specifically, use liberal "refluffing". Refluffing is taking the stats of one monster or character, and using them as stats for another. For example, if you stat out a street thug with high strength and constitution, that same stat block could easily be used for a generic city guard. Legend in particular uses and encourages this concept more than most RPGs, and it can be an incredible help when you need a quick statblock, but haven't made one for this particular character ahead of time.

Unfortunately, I've never played with players that young, so I can't offer much there.

There are some more active forums out there with plenty of people who'd be willing to offer more pointers, as well. For example, Giant in the Playground is where most of the designers and players of this system come from. Here's a link:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?30-Roleplaying-Games

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Dark_Stranger

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 11:15:45 PM »
Thanks for the advice!
I'm really not too worried about the complexity of Legend's rules, because everyone in my group has played lots of games of varying levels of difficulty, and we've gotten pretty good at helping each other through rough spots. One of the things that drew me to this system in the first place, in fact, was that the rules, while complex, are laid out very simply and are easy to follow. I've read a few rulebooks that made me want to slam my head against the table after just a few pages.
As for the tone, my players tend to gravitate toward the bombastic already, so we should be fine on that count.
I'll definitely keep your other advice in mind going forward.

Fillersx

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 06:28:52 AM »
No wonder you will receive many praises. As it was