Author Topic: Questions about BAB 15, Class chassis and Class specific tracks  (Read 1798 times)

Desocupado

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Those 3 things seem to be a relic from D&D times.

Why the variance in BAB? (1.1 changed the bonus ac from low BAB to become equal to level, correct?) Isn't it enough to have neither Str/Dex as key offensive/defensive attribute to "fix" the low martial aptitude?

Why there are still class chassis? Are they meant to balance each other in HP, saves, skills, KOM and KDM? I've seen some variant them entirely and that made me ponder.

Why do Judgment and Esoterica Radica require their specific class chassis? What cost or combo is this requirement offsetting? (is it the defensive passive bonus and mighty reroll d20?)

houselyrander

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Questions about BAB 15, Class chassis and Class specific tracks
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 04:20:21 PM »
While I'm not certain about BAB, but I've read developer statements saying that yes, Judgement and Esoterica Radica are indeed class locked for balance (although there's still some "D&D and early iteration relic" to it).  Chassis is in a pretty similar boat although I think KDM and KOM are balanced against each other and not the rest of the Chassis.  This is all just from memory though so feel free to wait for a second opinion.

Vicerious

• Minion
  • Foolish Mortal
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 09:53:47 PM »
Why the variance in BAB? (1.1 changed the bonus ac from low BAB to become equal to level, correct?) Isn't it enough to have neither Str/Dex as key offensive/defensive attribute to "fix" the low martial aptitude?

No, since all of a character's weapon attacks are based on their KOM.  A tactician swinging a sword uses his Int for attack and damage, for example.
"A witty saying proves nothing." --Voltaire

Desocupado

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 04:48:55 AM »
Strength (Str) is a physical ability that measures your character’s muscle and physical power. You apply your character’s Strength modifier to:
»» Fortitude saving throws (if your Strength modifier is higher than your Constitution modifier).
»» Skills that have Strength as their key ability.
»»Your attacks gain a bonus to damage equal to  half your Strength modifier (if positive).
The skills being Athletics (passive movement)

Dexterity (Dex) is a physical ability that measures hand-eye coordination, agility, reflexes, and balance. You apply your character’s Dexterity modifier to:
»» Initiative checks to determine who acts first in a combat encounter.
»»Reflex saving throws (if your Dexterity modifier is equal to or higher than your Intelligence modifier).
»» Skills that have Dexterity as their key ability.
Dexterity is the Key Offensive Modifier for rangers and many rogues, and the Key Defensive Modifier for some sages.
The skills being Acrobatics (avoid AoO),  Larceny, Stealth, Ride

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 02:22:01 PM »
half your strength to damage is barely anything. Its definitely not enough to make someone un-martial.
The athletics skill doesn't use strength for its speed boost, so anyone can take it and be faster

initiative is pretty universal, there isn't anything that makes a martial character want it more or less than a mage. The skills are likewise useful for mages as much as martial characters.
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly