Author Topic: How long does Cadence of Blows last?  (Read 1411 times)

houselyrander

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
How long does Cadence of Blows last?
« on: March 10, 2016, 02:51:58 PM »
Salvate my fellow roleplayers!  I've been playing Legend on and off for a long time but I'm very new to both the forums and Rangers.  I'm currently trying to make a Ranger for the first time but I've hit a problem.  I can't figure out how Iron Magi (specifically Cadence of Blows) works.  I get the idea of building up a resource (Links) to use for special effects (Finishers) but I can't figure out how long the effects of Cadence of Blows last since there's no listed duration.  Does it last for one turn?  Does it last until I attack?  Does it last until the fight is over?  Or does it just last forever and ever?  On a similar note, is there an upper limit on how many Links I can build up or is the only limitation my action economy?

Vicerious

• Minion
  • Foolish Mortal
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: How long does Cadence of Blows last?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 09:49:29 PM »
The bonus for Cadence of Blows has no duration limit, but keep in mind the attack bonus applies only against a single opponent in melee range and there's a limit to how high it can stack based on circle.  It would be reasonable for a DM to rule it only lasts until the end of the [encounter], though.

There's no limit on how long a Chain can be, but keep in mind that using a Chain Finisher always resets your Links to zero, no matter how many you had when you activated the Chain Finisher.
"A witty saying proves nothing." --Voltaire

houselyrander

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: How long does Cadence of Blows last?
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 03:23:34 PM »
The bonus for Cadence of Blows has no duration limit, but keep in mind the attack bonus applies only against a single opponent in melee range and there's a limit to how high it can stack based on circle.  It would be reasonable for a DM to rule it only lasts until the end of the [encounter], though.

Ah, okay then.  It seemed a bit weird for it to last indefinitely but now that I consider that most enemies don't even "exist" as far as combat is concerned for more than a single [Encounter] it makes more sense.  My group will probably still use that rule you suggested though.

There's no limit on how long a Chain can be, but keep in mind that using a Chain Finisher always resets your Links to zero, no matter how many you had when you activated the Chain Finisher.

Right, and Links reset to 0 at the start of a new [Encounter] as well.  I can see how that would prevent silly long Chains from being formed unless the Magi in question wanted to spend a bunch of time charging up like it was DBZ.  Thanks for clearing that up for me!

And don't forget to be good to yourself and those you love.   :)