Author Topic: Fate Dealer, for the man who needs to use cards in his dice game  (Read 2324 times)

MoshiSquared

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Fate Dealer, for the man who needs to use cards in his dice game
« on: December 18, 2015, 03:00:56 PM »
Hello guys, classes are finally over and to celebrate I wanted to finish up a pet project.  This has been on my computer for months now and I only just put the finishing touches on it.  It hasn't been tested at all, so I have no idea how balanced or even how fun it might actually be other than what my friends have told me what they think about it.  Really I just wanted to get it out there to see what you guys think, because I think it's a wonderful idea.

Also, just in advance, the Track does, in fact, require a deck of poker cards to work properly.  I'd be surprised if you or someone you know doesn't have a deck, but they're dirt cheap anywhere you can find 'em, and if you just can't get access to one then...I-I'm sorry, there's not really anything I can do for you.

Fate Dealer
Let's play.

For organization's sake I'll put the special minigames and their rules up here so you can read them as you get them.

Games
Spoiler
For clarification, anyone who is forced to play a game is referred to as a Participant, while the person they are playing against/distributing cards (that would be the person using the track) is called the Dealer

Triad Game
Spoiler
The Participant's goal is to correctly guess the category of the card.  The Participant must first choose one of the categories; Evens, Odds, or Faces (Jacks, Queens, Kings, and Aces).  The Dealer then reveals the top card from the Fate Deck.  If the Participant guessed correctly, they win.

Whenever a Participant loses the Triad Game, the Dealer gains 5 Temporary HP.

Ascension Game
Spoiler
For the purpose of this game, all cards have a Card Point value, equal to the number on the card.  Face cards have the following value;
Jacks: 11
Queens: 12
Kings: 13
Aces: 14

The Participant's goal is to get a Card Point Total that is greater than the Dealer's, but less than or equal to the Target Number.  The Target Number is determined by the context of the Game; if the Game is played in context of an Attack, use the Attack Roll as the TN; if it is played in the context of a Save, then use the DC of that Save as the TN.  If no TN can be determined in any way, then the Dealer rolls a d20 and adds their Level to determine it.

The Participant and Dealer both receive 2 Cards, keeping them a secret.  The Dealer and Participant take turns deciding if they want to draw a single card (Ascend) or drop out, losing the ability to draw more cards for the remainder of the game.  If at any point either the Dealer's or the Participant's Point Total's become higher than the TN, they lose.  Otherwise, if the Participant ends the game with a higher Point Total than the Dealer, they win.

Whenever a Participant loses the Ascension Game, the Dealer gets +1 to their AC until the end of the [round].

Standoff Game
Spoiler
For the purpose of this game, the values of the face cards are;
Jacks: 11
Queens: 12
Kings: 13
Aces: 14

The Participant's goal is to correctly guess whether their roll is better or worse than the Dealers draw.  The Participant rolls a d6+d8 while the Dealer draws a card from his Fate Deck, both of them keeping their scores a secret.  The Participant must decide whether they think their roll is higher than/equal to the Dealers draw (Stand) or if it is worse than it (Back down).  If they guess correctly, they win. 

Whenever a Participant loses the Standoff Game, the Dealer gains a +1 bonus to all attack rolls against that target for the rest of the [encounter].  This bonus cannot exceed the number of circles you have in this track.

1st Circle-
Agent of Chance: You gain access to a Fate Deck; a deck of playing cards that consists of 52 normal suited cards and a single joker (save the other Joker).  Abilities from this track call upon the use of this Deck, which generally involves drawing/revealing the top card.  When a card has been used and is no longer needed for anything, it goes to the discard pile, where it can no longer be used.  If a Fate Deck runs out of cards at any point, you may no longer activate abilities that require it and all games are automatically ended without deciding a Winner (treat it like the game never happened).  You may spend a Move and a Standard action to reshuffle all the cards from your discard pile back into your Fate Deck.  Additionally, whenever the Joker card is revealed, the Dealer is automatically considered the winner.

Gamblers Strike: Once per [round], when you make a successful attack, you may force the target to play one of your games.  If they lose, they take additional [Precision] damage equal to twice your level plus your KOM.

-You gain access to the Triad Game for use with your abilities.

2nd Circle -
A Test of Fate: Once per [round] per two circles you possess in this track, when an enemy would be forced to make a Save against an ability that originates from you, you may instead force them to play one of your games.  If they win, they succeed the Save, and if they lose, they fail the Save.

-You gain access to the Ascension Game for use with your abilities.

3rd Circle -
Trap Card: As a Swift Action, you may place a Card Trap on a spot within your [close] range.  When you do this, draw a card from the top of your Fate Deck and keep note of the Card, it is not discarded until the Trap is activated.  Whenever an enemy moves to a square within your [melee] range of the Trap, it activates, forcing that enemy to play your Triad Game, using the previously noted card as the answer.  If they lose, they take damage equal to your level plus your KOM, and their movement immediately ends, this is a [binding] effect.

4th Circle-
Card Clone: Once per [round], when you become the target of a successful attack or a damaging ability, you may force the enemy targeting you to play your Ascension game.  If you win, you avoid the damage.

5th Circle-
Playing with a Full Deck: Add a second joker card to your Fate Deck.  Once per [round], when you would draw a card for yourself, you may draw two cards and choose one, putting the other on the bottom of your Deck.  You may shuffle your Fate Deck for a Move or a Standard action.

6th Circle-
Stroke of Luck: Once per [encounter] per four levels you possess, when you make a successful attack, you may force the target to [play] your Standoff game.  If you win, the attack is considered a critical hit, if you lose, reduce the damage of the attack by your level.

7th Circle-
Death Game: Seven times per [scene], as a swift action, you may mark a non-[doomed] enemy with the [doomed] condition for thirteen rounds.  The [doomed] condition can not be removed by any spells or abilities.  When you win one of your games against a [doomed] enemy, decrease the number of rounds it lasts by one.  When the [doomed] condition is removed from an enemy, they take damage equal to half of their current health, bypassing any resistances, DR, immunities, or Temp HP.  This is a [death] effect.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 04:39:07 PM by MoshiSquared »

Grue

• Monk
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Eye of Seeing Dungeon Delver
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Fate Dealer, for the man who needs to use cards in his dice game
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 06:14:13 PM »
adding in a bunch of minigames will drastically slow down play, for what seems like fairly minor benefits, especially if the rules for each minigame have to be explained.

MoshiSquared

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 07:46:22 PM »
Yeah the pacing is the biggest concern I had with this track. The Triad and Standoff game I'm not concerned with as much, both are very quick and easy to understand. The Ascension game is the only one I'm worried about.

As for the benefits, that's what balancing is for, which is why I put this up in the first place.

Rockisx

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 06:24:20 AM »
Like, I've seen something similar to what you said is a significant issue.