Author Topic: Is Utter Brute / Discipline of the Serpent really worth banning?  (Read 2360 times)

Draz

• Paladin
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
I really liked Utter Brute with Discipline of the Serpent as a setup for certain monsters; Hydras, in particular.

Unfortunately, the introduction of Fury Bonus rules into the system took away the precision damage that this combo used to have.  Which makes the monster a lot less exciting.

I can see why it maybe could get crazy if you apply Utter Brute bonuses to a monster's attack rolls for the same attacks that are receiving precision damage.  That could throw off the game's math with uber-powerful attacks (although I'm not sure it would be any worse than combining Smiting with either fury bonuses or precision damage).

So I would like to propose that maybe this rule:
A creature benefiting from a fury bonus may not benefit from sources of [Precision] damage.
... be changed to this:
An attack benefiting from a fury bonus may not benefit from sources of [Precision] damage.

gkathellar

• Tactician
  • Global Moderator
  • Ace
  • My right hand was thunder, and my left was stone
  • Scroll of Scribes RoC Staff Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing Dev Team Art Aficionado Magic 8-Ball
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Is Utter Brute / Discipline of the Serpent really worth banning?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 05:39:53 PM »
Two things that bear noting:

1) If the combination of bonus damage and a strong attack bonus is such a problem, then tracks like Smiting and Pegasus are just as much offenders as Discipline of the Serpent.

2) Discipline of the Serpent's bonus damage is good, sure, but it's well-worth taking even without that for its debuffing and multi-attack effects.
Seven is the Number of Legend.
This is my mod voice.

Draz

• Paladin
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Is Utter Brute / Discipline of the Serpent really worth banning?
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 12:15:29 AM »
2) Discipline of the Serpent's bonus damage is good, sure, but it's well-worth taking even without that for its debuffing and multi-attack effects.
Yeah, and that's why I decided to keep the same build on Hydras ... but they still feel nerfed without the damage they used to enjoy.