Author Topic: Players Handbook 2?  (Read 6844 times)

Tim4488

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Players Handbook 2?
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2017, 07:03:10 PM »
Thank you for the clarification on Arcana!

You're not wrong about it being a lot of options for a single track, to be fair, but I just really loved everything TE wrote. And I do think that Iceberg has a good point that Show Fighter can synergize with e.g. Shining Sun or Crashing Wave, while I think there are very good reasons to not let people have two of the martial style tracks. And I thought the Ghost-Faced Killer rename worked nicely.

The Art of War seems like a good replacement name for Soldier.
"MY BLADE THIRSTS FOR MORE LEGEND." - Valixes

My homebrew.

Timeless Error

• Ranger
  • Elite
  • Emerald Knight
  • Typo Hammer Dev Team Problem Solver Eye of Seeing Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2017, 01:35:39 PM »
I forgot how well written and edited TimelessError's tracks were.  If you happen to be reading this, you are definitely one of the best Home brewers. 

Hey, thanks man. I'm happy to see people are still thinking about Legend and finding uses for the stuff I wrote.
Thanks to Aruius on GitP for creating my excellent avatar!

This space is dedicated to Nezzy, the noblest Roden of them all.  May he rest in peace and be undisturbed by toxic chemicals.

My Homebrew

--Timeless Error, Emerald Knight

Tim4488

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2017, 07:15:52 PM »
I forgot how well written and edited TimelessError's tracks were.  If you happen to be reading this, you are definitely one of the best Home brewers. 

Hey, thanks man. I'm happy to see people are still thinking about Legend and finding uses for the stuff I wrote.

I regularly use chunks of the Fighter class for NPCs in my Legend games, especially Forger, Shining Sun, and Crashing Wave. Had a PC use Unrelenting Storm a couple years back, and Soldier crops up here and there in my games too.

My homebrew.

Koeh

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2017, 08:48:46 PM »
Fighter class has been restored to it's former glory.  Once I re-read Crashing Wave, it made a lot more sense to me and am glad to include it.  Flickering Candle was a bit harder, but I changed it's name to Leaping Flame and thought of it as a Final Fantasy style Dragoon, made a lot more sense to me.  Mechanics are unchanged.   

I do feel as if Leap attack is a bit... Clunky?   "Once per [Round], as a move action or part of a move action, directly before making an attack, you can declare which opponent you will be attacking and make an Acrobatics check (DC 10 + your opponent’s level).  You deal bonus [Precision] damage on your next attack equal to the amount by which your Acrobatics check exceeded the DC.  Additionally, you gain a +2 bonus to Acrobatics checks."

If no one else has this concern I'll leave it alone,  but I was thinking making the damage a flat damage value,  perhaps same as Ranger, +3 per 2 levels?   Equal to acrobatics modifier?  1/2 of Acrobatics check?  I'm not sure, maybe concerned over nothing. 

Also thank you so much Tim for your comments and help editing!  Looking at it all myself, so easy to miss those simple things. 

Updated PDF version - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0swh2rPFIUoM2JMQmFIS0I0T1k/view?usp=sharing

Updated google docs version - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KSscirykNSNkrEo3T0_rheYX9WmXKgYSoF-LvQE2KRA/edit?usp=sharing

https://discord.gg/jJBUc76

Join us on Discord.  Chat with us about Legend

Iceberg256

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2017, 01:57:13 PM »
The formula is a bit cumbersome, but I don't think there's a problem with it mechanically.  Rolling a skill as part of a move action for added effects does seem to be a pretty prevalent part of Legend's skill system.  However, I wouldn't be opposed to something more simple.

Koeh

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2017, 12:06:02 PM »
Yeah, the actually Acrobatics check isn't the concern I had,  it was the damage calculation.  Usually when you get precision damage, it's some bonus damage dice or just a flat bonus to damage.  Subtraction from a variable DC based on your own check I think would slow things down at the table.  But I honestly am unsure what to replace it with. 

Tim4488

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2017, 05:30:18 PM »
I'm glad the editing helped!

Comparing Leap Attack to Reign of Arrows C1: Dead-Eye, which I do like as a comparison point:

Leap Attack requires you to spend a move/part of a move action, has the potential fail, and does variable damage
Dead-Eye activates when an opponent is [Flat-footed], and does consistent damage

Making an opponent [Flat-footed] will USUALLY involve using Bluff or some other ability, often as a move/part of a move, and that ability will have variable success. However, your allies also have the opportunity to make opponents [Flat-footed] for you, which Leap Attack can't take into account.

Honestly I'd fine with changing it the same damage as Dead-Eye. Trading the ability for allies to set it up for you, for a +2 to your own chance to succeed on the check, seems fair. And I do agree that a flat value feels more elegant.

Some reference values: a 1st level Leap Attacker should have between +5 and +7 to Acrobatics (+1 rank, +3 to +5 Dex, +2 from Leap Attack), vs a DC of 11, avg 4-6 bonus damage (vs Dead-Eye's 3)
6th level Leap Attacker vs. 6th level enemy will have something like +14 to +16 (+6 rank, +4-6 Dex, +2 Adept item, +2 Leap Attack), vs DC 16, that's 8-10 bonus damage on average (vs. Dead-Eye's 9)
10th level Leap Attacker vs. 10th level enemy will be at +19 to +21 (+10 rank, +5-7 Dex, +2 Adept item, +2 Leap Attack) vs DC 20, that's 9-11 bonus damage on average (vs. Dead-Eye's 15)
20th level vs 20th level enemy at +30 to +34 (+20 rank, +6-10 Dex, +2 Adept item, +2 Leap Attack) vs DC 30, that's 10-14 bonus damage on average (vs. Dead-Eye's 30)

So at low levels Leap Attack may have a slight advantage under the current formula, and at high levels Dead-Eye is clearly better, although of course good rolls could result in some very cool things. I also didn't take into account Master Scout for an extra +2 Acrobatics.

So yeah I'd advocate for changing it to Dead-Eye's damage values.

My homebrew.

Koeh

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2018, 12:01:46 PM »
Changed Leap attack damage to Dead-eye calculation.  So, 2017 and PHB 2 is completed.  Of course if there's any other edits I need to make, I'll be happy to do them.  But a new year calls for a new project!  See my other thread.  And thank you all for the support on this. 

Koeh

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2018, 04:45:41 PM »
PDF version of the phb2 has been updated.  Significant changes to the Druid class.  Added Avian Track.  Bookmarks should work now for if you download the PDF.

Got a bunch of great folks on the Discord that bioa10 set up (Link in Signature).  We're all making more content, editing and reviewing each others work (DaWaaaaghBabal has been a huge help to me on this book.  Big updates to it still in progress).  Also setting up online Legend games and talking about Modules and the Monster manual.  If you're not on yet, come by and say hi!