Author Topic: Rumble [round 3]  (Read 10863 times)

Zejety

• Shaman
  • Elite
  • Sage of Heed
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Track Overview
    • Awards
Rumble [round 3]
« on: April 10, 2012, 07:52:39 AM »
I want to host a PbP game of Rumble.

Rules summary:
  • Players generate a pool of abilities by choosing from a list or making up their own abilities.
  • Players secretly bid on those abilities spending Energy. Energy is an important ressource during actual play; don't spend too much!
  • Each turn, players can spend their current Energy total to attack, defend or use their abilities. (this does not actually consume energy)
  • Actions are revealed simultaneously
  • Damage taken (attacks-defense) is subtracted from Energy.
  • Players are eliminated when Energy reaches 0.
  • Last man standing wins
Please read the full rules if you are interested.

The game classically uses a super hero theme for its powers but I have also prepared a legend track themed version if you prefer that.

Players:
I am looking for 3-5 players.
One turn will last approximately 48h (maybe 72h if it turns out you need more time) to ensure that people from different timezones get to do their thing.
This thread will be used for discussion and player communication. Send your actions to me via PM. No secret communication between players, I'll trust you on this.

Please post here if you want to play and state which theme you would prefer: super heroes or Legend.

Houserules:
After powers have been selected but before bidding begins, players can vote for one power to get removed from the pool.
If a player misses the deadline for sending me his actions, I will randomly distribute his Energy on attack and defense. Attacks will get evenly distributed among all opponents.

Djtooth

• Rogue
  • Elite
  • Tourist wielding a Pez dispenser that holds kunai.
  • Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Rumble [player registration]
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 01:01:59 PM »
I would be interested in playing this game.
Two dictionaries and a chicken were playing tag one day, they are joined by a tree and some marshmallows.

crackpotTheorist

• Shaman
  • Minion
  • Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 12:53:29 AM »
Looking over the rules now, if this is still going to be a thing.
Track overview (stolen from Zejety to spread the love)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 01:44:50 AM »
Actually, this looks like great fun. Count me in. I vote for superhero. This is the best system I've seen for superheros, which is something I've wanted to do for a while.
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

crackpotTheorist

• Shaman
  • Minion
  • Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 02:37:56 AM »
Actually, this looks like great fun. Count me in. I vote for superhero. This is the best system I've seen for superheros, which is something I've wanted to do for a while.
I'd kinda like a Legend one. But superhero sounds fun too.

Zejety

• Shaman
  • Elite
  • Sage of Heed
    • View Profile
    • Track Overview
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 12:09:54 PM »
This definitely is still a thing. It doesn't put too much load on the DM so even with my busy schedule, there should be no problems. 3 players is an okay amount but lets give this 2-3 more days. Maybe the thread will catch somebody's eye now that there are some posts.

This is the best system I've seen for superheros, which is something I've wanted to do for a while.
Just be aware that this is not an RPG but a competitive game.

Djtooth

• Rogue
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 03:23:41 PM »
my vote is on super people.
Two dictionaries and a chicken were playing tag one day, they are joined by a tree and some marshmallows.

Zejety

• Shaman
  • Elite
  • Sage of Heed
    • View Profile
    • Track Overview
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 01:38:21 PM »
Okay, the theme for this game is Super Heroes.

All players are asked to select two super powers either from this list or by making up their own and submit them either in this thread or a private message to me.

Concerning power selection:
  • As noted on the above link, powers marked with an asterisk are recommended for beginner play.
  • Experience taught me to dislike powers that read "add [fixed number] to all your attacks". I will not forbid them but ask you to select conciously.
  • I may ask you to rework a homebrew power if I consider it broken. This will probably not come up as I put quite a bit of faith into the game's self-balancing power.

Please submit your powers within approx. the next 48 hours. New players might still join during this period.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Rumble [power submission - still open for registration]
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 01:44:50 PM »
Negative zone alien:Start with 0 Energy. When you would normally take Damage, gain Energy instead of losing it. At the end of any round in which you have 100 or more Energy, you are defeated

Feedback: spend energy to this power's level. Target one other person, and they take damage equal to the power level of their strongest power.

Djtooth

• Rogue
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 02:29:13 PM »
Katamari
Katamari starts with 10 Energy. Burn 5: Katamari gains control of target Power, and gains Energy equal to its Power Strength. When Katamari is destroyed return all Powers to their original owners.

Cloned Sidekick
Cloned Sidekick has 50 Energy and a Power of your choice from those in the current game.

- gotta give the NPCs a chance. (Not Players but played by players to support their Characters.)

crackpotTheorist

• Shaman
  • Minion
  • Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 11:31:13 AM »
Souleater Gain 50 Energy whenever an opponent leaves the game.

Laser Goggles Burn 10: Do 10 unavoidable damage to a Hero. Use no more than three times per round.

Zejety

• Shaman
  • Elite
  • Sage of Heed
    • View Profile
    • Track Overview
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 01:03:44 PM »
Okay gents, these powers are available for bidding:

Negative Zone Alien
Start with 0 Energy. When you would normally take Damage, gain Energy instead of losing it. At the end of any round in which you have 100 or more Energy, you are defeated

Feedback
Spend energy equal to this power's level: Target one other person, and they take damage equal to the power level of their strongest power.
[With two sidekicks in the game I guess I should make a rule call here: sidekicks are not considered to be powers of their owners. The Cloned Sidekick himself is a viable target.]

Katamari
Katamari starts with 10 Energy.
Burn 5: Katamari gains control of target Power, and gains Energy equal to its Power Strength. When Katamari is destroyed return all Powers to their original owners.
[Does the hero or the Katamari have to burn 5? Djtooth, you suggested the power, I don't mind if you make the judgement call here.]

Cloned Sidekick
Cloned Sidekick has 50 Energy and a Power of your choice from those in the current game [to be chosen after bids are revealed].

Souleater
Gain 50 Energy whenever an opponent leaves the game.

Laser Goggles
Burn 10: Do 10 unavoidable damage to a Hero. Use no more than three times per round.

Please send me a PM with your respective bids for all powers. You can bid for a total of 100 energy. Only winning bids are removed from your ingame energy.

Djtooth

• Rogue
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Rumble [bidding]
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 10:33:22 PM »
The hero who controls katamari burns 5.

Zejety

• Shaman
  • Elite
  • Sage of Heed
    • View Profile
    • Track Overview
    • Awards
Re: Rumble [bidding]
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 04:28:15 AM »
Results are in!
  • Djtooth acquired Feedback and both Sidekicks for a total of 60 Energy.
  • crackpotTheorist gained the Power Souleater and equipped a stylish pair of Laser Goggles. He payed 33 Energy for this set of Powers.
  • Mystify revealed himself as the Negative Zone Alien. He payed 15 Energy but his transformation places him at 0 Energy anyway.
Overview

The next step:
Djtooth, please select a power for your Cloned Sidekick.
Everybody, feel free to name and design your hero.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Rumble [preparation]
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 10:54:59 AM »