Author Topic: Magic the Gathering thread  (Read 7845 times)

Jeepers

• Mook
  • Wanted: One campagin in Hallow setting, Google+
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Magic the Gathering thread
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 05:05:47 PM »
I like to build decks that are more flavorful than functional. The term "tool box" get's thrown around some to describe my style of deck-building, in which I tend to build oversize, inconsistent decks. My decks don't seem work for other people, but they are always entertaining when I am at the helm. I was also the first to construct a EDH deck within my group, "Chef Borybigmose," and I've tried to keep the three since then as fun-loving as possible (all two color, for some reason . . .).

ANYWAY, I am interested in almost all formats, as long as I don't have to chase Standard. I even have a Archenemy deck I still cherish named after "The Amazing Screw-on Head" that I never get to play.
I've been intrigued by the prospect of a Magic: the Gathering role-playing game, but I have yet to find online rules that make sense to me.
Can anyone make heads or tails of what they are doing over at MTG Salvation?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 10:45:40 AM by Jeepers »
Contributions to Legend: Feign Death, On Your Toes, Spider Step, Gift of Gab, Bleak, Her Lady's Secrets (initial draft)

Geigan

• Team Awesome
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Dev Team Magic 8-Ball Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2012, 05:24:43 PM »
The RPG seems forum based though I suppose something could be made for a live format as well if you understood the rules well enough. Might try something with that someday.

I've been considering an EDH deck that also is filed away under someday at the moment. Stuff like thieves auction, warp world, eye of the storm, and other such effects. I'm not sure anybody would want to play with me a second time...

edit: Oh also, there's a problem with your link that you should probably fix, since there's an extra http and a pair of quotation marks around it that don't need to be there. It won't work for anyone unless they just fix it for themselves like I did.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 12:52:11 AM by Geigan »

afroakuma

• Administrator
  • Elite
  • Prayer Wing Scroll of Scribes Problem Solver RoC Staff Art Aficionado Eye of Seeing Aquarius Dev Team
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 01:30:59 AM »
Here is where I shall lay the groundwork for my spring fantasy set. I hope to get it to a state where it can be playtested using online tabletops.

This is a Wedge set; a counterpart to the Alara block, it focuses on the five enemy-color triads rather than the allied triads (Shards). Unlike Alara, which was thematically "me-and-my-friends" when it came to Shard design, the wedges in this set are intended to be an even melding of the themes of each of their three constituent colors.

The forces which will be running the show:

WBR: The Church of the End
Fanatical nihilists who believe themselves to be the stewards of a great apocalypse, the Church of the End is passionately devoted to guiding and directing the end of everything. Their powerful hierarchy works toward a unitary goal of total destruction, and their order is highly individualist owing to the eventual time at which even those of the Church must cease.

The Church of the End rejects evolution. There is no progress; there is only entropy. The Church does not strive for or even care for knowledge; a single overriding truth devours all others, leaving no meaning in any other idea. The Church of the End eschews growth; it is the opposite of destruction, and is anathema to the Church.

Mechanic: Ruinwake Ruinwake - {cost}, Reveal CARDNAME from your hand: Effect. (Play this ability only when a permanent goes to the graveyard from play and only once per permanent.)

URG: The Dreamers
Shamans of the metaphysical realm, the Dreamers are living loci of chaotic genesis, viewing the world through an ever-changing lens. The Dreamers believe in the inherent property of deliberative chaos in all things, and while they touch the world, never do they attempt to force it or shape it. The Dreamers create ideas and see how they are transformed; if one dies, another can always arise to take its place.

The Dreamers reject structure and hierarchy. Power is an illusion, one that has driven too many to madness. The Dreamers ignore the self, for fixating on the needs of the self requires a deliberate exercise of power to satisfy those needs. The Dreamers think nothing of social harmony or peace, for these are constructs of an artificial order and transient.

Mechanic: Dream Dream {cost} (At the beginning of your upkeep, if this came under your control since the beginning of your last upkeep, you may pay its dream cost)

Cards of the Dreamer faction recognize if their Dream cost is paid or not paid and change accordingly. Some require a payment to stabilize them into their original form; others transform once the cost is paid, while still more change if the cost is unpaid.

BGW: The Hive
The nightmarish scions of wild evolution, the Hive is a powerful communal hivemind concerned with its own progression toward perfection. The Hive believes in its total supremacy and holds the value of any one individual within the Hive above that of anything beyond it. However, the weak branches must be pruned, and the Hive is willing to make any sacrifice to advance the greater whole.

The Hive rejects invention and experimentation. There is no room for such frivolity when seeking perfection. The Hive has no tolerance for the individual, no recognition of the uniqueness of one outside of role in the Hive. The Hive has no use for information; the road to perfection is one established within the natural order and can be attained from within.

RWU: The Revolution
A rebellion against the tyrannical Annex and its minions, the Revolution is a vibrant, youthful movement seeking real transformation to benefit all and freedom from the shackles of slavery. The Revolution channels this passion by working to gain real momentum that it can use to bolster the wave of the future.

The Revolution rejects returning to old ways; it needs to cast off the shackles of the past in order to look to the future. The Revolution does not seek to win through destruction, but through coup. The Revolution is not concerned with growth; it must have a singular focus to attain its goal. The Revolution has no room for special interests and agendas. It believes in virtues that it desires to promote and a standard of values that will apply to all.

GUB: The Annex
An imperial order of wizards, the Annex is devoted to itself in its entirety, devouring all else to expand its own reach. Intrusive, obsessive and inescapable, the Annex burns through incredible resources at a debauched, gluttonous rate in its quest for gain.

The Annex rejects passion and purpose; it has no ideal nor goal that it would not abandon at the drop of a hat if the cost was not merely resources. The Annex denies freedom; it has already determined everyone's role in advancing the Annex, and silly little things like "choices" are not in your job description. The Annex also has no illusions about advancing some common "good." The Annex is steered by a gluttonous, greedy elite and is perfectly comfortable owning up to its casual enslavement of everyone and everything else. Disharmony has no meaning to the Annex.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 11:21:42 AM by afroakuma »

Jeepers

• Mook
  • Wanted: One campagin in Hallow setting, Google+
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2012, 10:52:09 AM »
The RPG seems forum based though I suppose something could be made for a live format as well if you understood the rules well enough. Might try something with that someday.

I've been considering an EDH deck that also is filed away under someday at the moment. Stuff like thieves auction, warp world, eye of the storm, and other such effects. I'm not sure anybody would want to play with me a second time...

edit: Oh also, there's a problem with your link that you should probably fix, since there's an extra http and a pair of quotation marks around it that don't need to be there. It won't work for anyone unless they just fix it for themselves like I did.

Thanks for the heads up on the bbcode tag! That appears to be what happens when I try to use the forum's button for a link and my own memory of tags to "fix it." The forum and I should be in agreement now.

Yeah, the game they are playing appears to be a lot different from what I expected when someone first introduced me to the idea.

Also, on rare occasions, getting a Commander deck banned can  be worth it.
Contributions to Legend: Feign Death, On Your Toes, Spider Step, Gift of Gab, Bleak, Her Lady's Secrets (initial draft)

afroakuma

• Administrator
  • Elite
  • Prayer Wing Scroll of Scribes Problem Solver RoC Staff Art Aficionado Eye of Seeing Aquarius Dev Team
    • View Profile
    • Awards
The Design Skeleton
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2012, 07:46:15 PM »
It begins with... the commons!

Spoiler
CW01 - creature
CW02 - creature
CW03 - creature
CW04 - creature
CW05 - creature
CW06 - creature
CW07 - creature
CW08 - creature
CW09 - creature
CW10 - creature
CW11
CW12
CW13
CW14
CW15
CU01 - creature
CU02 - creature
CU03 - creature
CU04 - creature
CU05 - creature
CU06 - creature
CU07
CU08
CU09
CU10
CU11
CU12
CU13
CU14
CU15
CB01 - creature
CB02 - creature
CB03 - creature
CB04 - creature
CB05 - creature
CB06 - creature
CB07 - creature
CB08 - creature
CB09
CB10
CB11
CB12
CB13
CB14
CB15
CR01 - creature, haste, flying, 2/1, dream (U)
CR02 - creature
CR03 - creature
CR04 - creature
CR05 - creature
CR06 - creature
CR07 - creature
CR08
CR09
CR10
CR11
CR12
CR13
CR14
CR15
CG01 - creature
CG02 - creature
CG03 - creature
CG04 - creature
CG05 - creature
CG06 - creature
CG07 - creature
CG08 - creature
CG09 - creature
CG10
CG11
CG12
CG13
CG14
CG15
CZ01 - creature
CZ02 - creature
CZ03 - creature
CZ04 - creature
CZ05 - creature
CZ06 - creature
CZ07 - creature
CZ08 - creature
CZ09 - creature
CZ10 - creature
CZ11 - creature
CZ12 - creature
CZ13 - creature
CZ14 - creature
CZ15
CZ16
CZ17
CZ18
CZ19
CZ20
CZ21
CZ22
CZ23
CZ24
CZ25
CZ26
CZ27
CA01
CA02
CA03
CA04
CA05
CL01
CL02
CL03
CL04
CL05
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 11:09:06 AM by afroakuma »

gralamin

• Tactician
  • Minion
  • Sentient Construct
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box Art Aficionado Capricorn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2012, 12:53:33 AM »
I have completely neglected my duty.

Return to Ravnica. Coming in October. I mean, I guess there was a recent set release, and Temporal Mastery is broken. But way more importantly: Niv-Mizzet looks to be back. Probably allied with Jace.

Anyone have some WMG about mechanics we might see? Ravnica Block mechanics with colors switched around? Something more crazy?

Geigan

• Team Awesome
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2012, 01:15:35 AM »
I can tell from experience with playing temporal mastery that it isn't that broken. It's an extra turn that you can't time effectively by itself, which means you need other cards in your deck to get the proper use out of it. Sure setting yourself up to take like 4 extra turns in a row with temporal mastery, increasing vengeance, and snapcaster is hilarious but that won't always work right and requires more than one card to use effectively. Personally I'd be a lot more afraid of terminus or entreat the angels.

Ravnica was announced awhile back actually. Can't wait to see what they've got for it as I've heard a lot of great things about the block though I wasn't around at the time myself. This mean we're getting a 4th iteration of Jace? Certainly wouldn't mind a new Niv-Mizzet. That guy was awesome.

gralamin

• Tactician
  • Minion
  • Sentient Construct
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box Art Aficionado Capricorn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2012, 01:17:34 AM »
Ravnica was announced awhile back actually. Can't wait to see what they've got for it as I've heard a lot of great things about the block though I wasn't around at the time myself. This mean we're getting a 4th iteration of Jace? Certainly wouldn't mind a new Niv-Mizzet. That guy was awesome.

I don't know how much Magic the gathering fluff you know, but Niv-Mizzet just up and left the plane during Dissension. So we may have another Dragon Planeswalker. Who is also the lord of mad Scientists. This can only result in good things  :)

Geigan

• Team Awesome
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2012, 01:29:11 AM »
Implications of a RU planeswalker. This makes me so happy you don't even know.  ;D

Only way I could like it more is if he suddenly gained the use of white mana as well somehow. He can totally stick to RU though. I loved the Izzet.

zook1shoe

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2013, 04:01:36 AM »
I had a Shahrazad deck few years back that nearly got top 8 in the first tourney play I had been in in years, was 1 point short.

It was based around that and Burning Wish to go into endless subgames until we timed out. Then I'd get 1 pt for a draw. The rest was red-white speed.

Sorry about the thread necro ;)
Do you like DnD 3.x high optimization?
Ask me about a cool 3.5 multiplayer gestalt gladiator game!

JohnnyMayHymn

• Mook
  • Former lord of the kitchen sink
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2013, 10:52:45 AM »
I've got a Thrun, the Last Troll EDH deck with tons of equipment like swords and loxodon warhammer etc.. which includes plenty of trollish green removal like desert twister and brutal artifacts like tangle wire, winter orb and what-have-you

But I'm just as likely to whip out a crummy griffon theme deck or the 99 mountain EDH as I am to go infinite with slivers or flood the board with dragons via dragonstorm, ramping with dark ritual and it's red cousins.

You never quite know what I'm up to.

zook1shoe

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2013, 11:51:15 AM »
I stopped playing about 2 years ago, due to frustrations over the power creep + being broke.

afroakuma

• Administrator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2013, 12:41:22 PM »
Free services like Cockatrice are a good way to play without going bankrupt. I'd recommend you look into such a thing if you're still interested in the game.

zook1shoe

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2013, 12:59:05 PM »
I might try... But ive got a lot on my plate right now.

Jackinthegreen

• Minion
  • Magic 8-Ball
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2013, 05:46:21 PM »
I got into Magic about a year and a half ago when I decided to buy a green event deck.  Since it was during New Phyrexia it was an infect deck and did fairly decently.  I've since added onto it and traded some cards around, but it's still a bit of a mess I admit.  Better than the black deck I recently made just from cards I bought over the months, individual and in boosters.  Don't have enough cards to make anything from another color yet, but I'm getting there.  Main thing I need is land actually which I have to go across town for to get en masse.
Boredom is just the time and space between ideas