Author Topic: [CRE8] Interest Level Check / Q&A  (Read 2672 times)

Draz

• Paladin
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
[CRE8] Interest Level Check / Q&A
« on: March 03, 2012, 05:05:00 PM »
Hi all,

If you're here, you probably agree with me that Legend is great for campaigns with over-the-top cinematic action and/or non-traditional fantasy settings (ranging from slightly non-traditional to very non-traditional).

However, I still think there's room in the market for the system that I've been working on for the last few years, CRE8.  It's a little more simulationist.  It's a little more low-powered.  In short, it's a little closer to D&D flavor-wise than Legend is, but just as revolutionary in game mechanics.  Besides "fixing all the problems that people complained most about in 3e," its major focus is reducing bookkeeping in the game (while still being a rules-heavy system).

It's largely been a solo project, which is sad since it makes things move slowly.  I've been working on a website that presents the Alpha Release of the system, and it's getting kind of close to release.  But in the meantime, I could always use more feedback and public involvement.  For a while, Fax Competitor Forums proved quite useful ... but sadly, they're nearly dead these days.

Since this is a Forum filled with fans of rules-heavy d20-based fantasy RPGs who aren't tied to keeping all the sacred cows of D&D, I thought maybe it would be a good venue for some CRE8 discussion.  I know Jake himself has mentioned in passing a couple times that he's interested to see what I come up with.  But I thought I'd start with just a simple query about people's interest -- I don't want to take the time to post a bunch of stuff if people are just going to skim it, then move on without providing feedback.

So, let me know if you'd like to see some discussion of CRE8 on this forum.  And by all means feel more than free to ask any questions you have about the system.

Timeless Error

• Ranger
  • Elite
  • Emerald Knight
  • Typo Hammer Dev Team Problem Solver Eye of Seeing Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: [CRE8] Interest Level Check / Q&A
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 05:36:14 PM »
I don't know if I'd be able to offer much in the way of constructive feedback (I'm by no means an experienced game designer), but, having given the system a brief read-through, I'm definitely interested in seeing more.  The kits-feats-talents structure seems quite elegant; the combat system is complex and adds a substantial amount of tactical depth to things with Momentum, Off-Guard, the Hazard menu, etc; in fact, I like most of what I've seen, and I'll keep an eye out for the Alpha release.
Thanks to Aruius on GitP for creating my excellent avatar!

This space is dedicated to Nezzy, the noblest Roden of them all.  May he rest in peace and be undisturbed by toxic chemicals.

My Homebrew

--Timeless Error, Emerald Knight

amechra

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 12:05:15 AM »
Draz, if you check your email, I just sent you a pair of Talents and a pair of Kits.

Tomorrow night, you're going to get so many monsters...

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 01:03:19 PM »
I would definitely be interested in such a system!
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Draz

• Paladin
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 09:57:20 PM »
Cool, I'm working hard on putting rules into words with the goal of getting the game to the point where it's playable off the website, without my help.  :)  Amechra's help is definitely appreciated.

I'd like any feedback I can get on my Character Sheet before I start using it to write out a bunch of example stat blocks.  Go ahead and download a copy from Dropbox and let me know if it needs any refinements -- I'm pretty happy with the basics, but I've spent the money to get myself real PDF-editing software, so if there are any advanced things I should be learning to do (like flattening the form fields, or reducing the download size), let me know!

That sheet has a couple of links on it to the current website of the project.  Don't go too nuts critiquing the website just yet -- it's not quite ready for the scrutiny.  ;)

amechra

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 07:05:28 PM »
It really isn't; I've had to grab half my stuff directly from Draz.