Author Topic: Suggestion: Resource Library on the Forums  (Read 2753 times)

Nidorina

• Mook
  • Yes, I am aware that's not a Nidorina.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Suggestion: Resource Library on the Forums
« on: May 02, 2012, 11:23:05 PM »
I have perused the Legends Forums and seen several examples of posts of character designs and the like. Most of these are spread out in several different forums locations like the homebrew and general discussion pages. What I am suggesting though is slightly different. It would be nice to have a section of the forum where people post things like characters, monsters and artifacts with the intention of anyone being able to use the posted creations in their own legend games. Need a new PC or NPC? The library has them. Need a quick monster for your encounter? Someone has posted one you can use. Can't figure out what should be in that chest? The library has several posts, ready to fit in your campaign.

So rather than digging through different posts, this forum section would have quick and easy access to posted public material.
Just a thought. Please don't shoot me!

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Suggestion: Resource Library on the Forums
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 01:27:48 AM »
I tried to get a thread going for monster builds, but it didn't really take off.
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 08:40:47 AM »
That's basically what Homebrew is already for. That character ideas are being posted in the General Discussion section is something that just happened.
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Nidorina

• Mook
  • Yes, I am aware that's not a Nidorina.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 02:23:40 PM »
What I think I am really suggesting is almost a handbook of sorts of "official" material. (By official I mean game legal since this user content) At least with character posts, it seems that almost everyone is trying to make super powered characters. When a DM wants a new npc though, do they really want something like that? I think they would be looking for well balanced or rounded characters that have a small amount of information about them. Their name, how they act, pet peeves, back story, things to make the RP come to life for the players. I am aware they are working on a monster book but having one for NPCs and items would be attractive too. Since they are working hard on so many other things right now though, I just thought the forums would make a good location for that but still be easily accessed by DMs. It would be nice if it was all in one place.
Just a thought. Please don't shoot me!

Deth Muncher

• Mook
  • Gentleman Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 03:59:16 AM »
What I think I am really suggesting is almost a handbook of sorts of "official" material. (By official I mean game legal since this user content) At least with character posts, it seems that almost everyone is trying to make super powered characters. When a DM wants a new npc though, do they really want something like that? I think they would be looking for well balanced or rounded characters that have a small amount of information about them. Their name, how they act, pet peeves, back story, things to make the RP come to life for the players. I am aware they are working on a monster book but having one for NPCs and items would be attractive too. Since they are working hard on so many other things right now though, I just thought the forums would make a good location for that but still be easily accessed by DMs. It would be nice if it was all in one place.

A while back on one of the GitP forums in one of the Legend discussions, it was proposed that people just start writing up random characters as they would be in Legend. (I think I even suggested it, come to think of it, but perhaps not.) It was met with lukewarm reception, and someone started statting up the OotS characters in Legend.

To respond to Yoder directly, this is not something that should go in Homebrew. At all. And neither is the General Discussion thread adequate for this end at all. Nidorina did a fairly good job of explaining why not, but to expound on this subject a bit - there is a distinct difference between posting a build saying "lol okay, so like, take the Sage, give him TK feat tree, that's a Jedi! Yeah!" and actually going through and making a character by giving it a backstory, and then posting a rough roadmap of how the character's build would evolve throughout the levels (i.e. Level 5/10/15/20), as well as if you were to place them in a setting, what their goals and motivations are, as well as how they might interact with certain kinds of characters.

Truthfully, I think this should be something that has some sort of standardized template, a la Vorpal Tribble's guidelines for Homebrew things back on GitP, which could be fairly easily written up as a questionnaire (which if you all are down with, I can do tout de suite), and then just have a thread that compiles them in an index, which could be organized by general archetype.

Side note, I don't want anyone to think I'm attacking their thoughts or anything, I just see this and it looks like there seems to be a disconnect on ideas being expressed, and I hope the way I'm expressing it makes a bit more sense. This whole thing stemmed from Jeepers and I discussing the subject, and then I realized there was already a thread here talking about it.