Author Topic: The Official Legend IRC Chatroom  (Read 11388 times)

Flickerdart

• Bathtub Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Minion
  • Problem Solver RoC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Awards
The Official Legend IRC Chatroom
« on: May 13, 2012, 04:24:54 PM »
#legend on GameSurge.net

For those of you who don't understand what that means, read on.

What's an IRC and can I eat it?
IRC, or Internet Relay Chat, is a chatting protocol that allows people to get together in channels and talk with one another. An IRC network such as GameSurge consists of a number of servers, which are all connected. Once you are connected to a network, you can go to a channel (indicated with a # before its name) and get chatting.

I want in. What do I need?
You'll need an IRC client. ChatZilla is a free Firefox extension IRC client, and mIRC is a standalone client. Additionally, Android phones have a number of IRC clients on them, so if you're awesome, you can connect with your smartphone too. If you don't want to download anything, you can just use the the GameSurge web chat.

I have a client. How do I connect?
Depending on your client, you'll have to do this slightly differently. First, you'll need to select the GameSurge network, and then join #legend. This can be done in a number of different ways:
  • If you have a dialog window pop up, then choose GameSurge.net from the list of servers. If it isn't on the list, click "New" or "Add", add GameSurge (where it wants the address, put "irc.gamesurge.net", no quotes) and then connect to it. If a list comes up again, find #legend on it and click on it. If there's no new list, then type "/join #legend" (again, no quotes), and hit enter.
  • If you have no window, type "/server irc.gamesurge.net" and hit enter, then type "/join #legend" and hit enter. No quotes.
  • If you're using the GameSurge web chat, then type "/join #legend" after you put in your username, and hit enter.

My name is something stupid, how do I change it?
Type in "/nick " and then your desired name, and hit enter. Voila! If someone else on the network is using the name, you can't use it. You also can't use anything except alphanumeric characters and limited punctuation.

People are talking about Legend development. Is this the dev chat?
Yes, it is! While we openly discuss Legend development there, it's still open for people to come in and see what's up, ask the devs questions or just chat. In fact, it's a very good place to get sneak peeks of content that's still in the pipeline.

Some people have a different coloured icon/a symbol in front of their name. What's that?
This shows that the person has a special user mode. Regardless of your client, users in the user list will always be ordered like this:
  • Operators. These users have absolute power over a channel, and can change the topic and channel modes, kick and ban other users, and promote people. The channel service (ChanServ) is always an operator.
  • Half-operators. They have all the powers of an operator, except they can't promote anyone to half-op or above, and can't set certain channel modes.
  • Voiced users. They have no special powers, but in the event of a channel mute (mode +m) only voiced users and higher ranks can talk.
A person will only show up as their rank if they are authorized with AuthServ and wish to be, so just because you don't see any operators around doesn't mean there aren't any.

Why does this stupid bot say "not a valid command" whenever I type in a dollar sign?
That's HermesBot. His primary function is to leave notes ($note username note-text) but he can also tell you when someone was around last ($seen username). As long as you don't start a line with $, he won't bother you.

GRM13

• Monk
  • Minion
  • Ore! Sanjou!!
  • Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: The Official Legend IRC Chatroom
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 10:42:36 AM »
Much appreciated with the guide, was always curios about joining a IRC to see how all plays out but never understood how it worked.

gkathellar

• Tactician
  • Global Moderator
  • Ace
  • My right hand was thunder, and my left was stone
  • Scroll of Scribes RoC Staff Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing Dev Team Art Aficionado Magic 8-Ball
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 02:13:52 PM »
For Mac users, Colloquy is an excellent client application.
Seven is the Number of Legend.
This is my mod voice.

Draz

• Paladin
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 06:52:55 PM »
Chrome has started warning me that GameSurge's security certificate has expired, which indicates an alarming vulnerability to various cyberdangers.

Is there a newer way to access the IRC?  Or is this a problem that should blow over in a matter of hours (i.e. GameSurge will be renewing their security certificate)?

DragoonWraith

• Sage
  • Global Moderator
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Dev Team Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • DragoonWraith.com
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 10:34:45 PM »
Draz, I have been unable to find any information on this, which is very worrisome. Still looking into it.
Legend contributions: As Above, So Below (rewrite); Reap the Whirlwind, A Personal Touch, Kept Secret, Kept Safe (Professional Soldier); Combat Alchemist (extra track)

Metool

• Rogue
  • Elite
  • You ever lose hope?
  • Eye of Seeing Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 09:20:51 PM »
Well, the simplest way to get around that in the meanwhile is to find an easy-to-use IRC client for your platform of choice, connect to irc.gamesurge.net and join #Legend. If you have a client already, irc://irc.gamesurge.net/#Legend (when entered into your address bar) should connect you to the chat.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 09:22:37 PM by Metool »
"Honestly, I don't know if this non-core option is 1.0-ready"

No, it isn't. It may be updated at some point but it isn't 1.0-ready, which is why it isn't in 1.0. Anything that isn't in the 1.0 core rulebook should be treated as not being 1.0 compliant and used with caution if at all.

DragoonWraith

• Sage
  • Global Moderator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • DragoonWraith.com
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 09:50:22 PM »
Sorry, forgot to update: I contacted GameSurge via the #support channel, and was told by a one cyberdeath (who, as I understand it, is senior staff there) that he'd contact the website guys to figure out what the deal is. I expect an e-mail back from him soon.
Legend contributions: As Above, So Below (rewrite); Reap the Whirlwind, A Personal Touch, Kept Secret, Kept Safe (Professional Soldier); Combat Alchemist (extra track)

DragoonWraith

• Sage
  • Global Moderator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • DragoonWraith.com
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 12:36:32 PM »
GameSurge appears to have sorted their SSL certificate issues and has a new one.

turalisj

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 06:12:36 PM »
I seem to be having a problem accessing gamesurge, it keeps telling me that the connection timed out.

DragoonWraith

• Sage
  • Global Moderator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • DragoonWraith.com
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 05:28:00 PM »
How are you accessing it, through gamesurge.net, mibbit.com, or a real IRC client?

Regardless, it's been working fine for me and other users all three ways, so I suspect the issue is on your end. Could you have a firewall or hyper-active AV software blocking it?

Zejety

• Shaman
  • Elite
  • Sage of Heed
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Track Overview
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 10:53:31 AM »
As of today, gamesurge.net as a whole seems to be down. Is it just me?
I haven't been on that site for a while so I cannot say how recent that problem is.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 12:19:11 PM »
The channel is still accessable trhough clients, and the chat option at the top of the forum is working. gamesurge.net itself does seem to be having problems, but the channels seem to be fine
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Metool

• Rogue
  • Elite
  • You ever lose hope?
  • Eye of Seeing Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 01:08:07 PM »
irc.gamesurge.net on port 6667 is not currently accessible from my setup (Colloquy 2.4.2 on OS X 10.8.5).
"Honestly, I don't know if this non-core option is 1.0-ready"

No, it isn't. It may be updated at some point but it isn't 1.0-ready, which is why it isn't in 1.0. Anything that isn't in the 1.0 core rulebook should be treated as not being 1.0 compliant and used with caution if at all.

rejectedreality

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 08:17:00 PM »
Ah. I'm glad to know that others have had trouble accessing this thing from Gamesurge.I tried getting that Chatzilla thing, but I can't quite figure out how to add channels, since it had some strange stuff when I tried to follow the guide.

DragoonWraith

• Sage
  • Global Moderator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • DragoonWraith.com
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 11:47:24 AM »
Yeah, Gamesurge seems borked. Mibbit still works for an easy web-based alternative.