Poll

We have moved out of the caves. It is spring time and we have a number of options for settlement.

The caves - Easy living space and we get free refrigeration. Close to water, but some distance from the trees.
1 (16.7%)
The forest, near the river - Lots of resources and water availability. Not easy to build in and ground is uneven.
1 (16.7%)
The plains - Locate a nice flat, open space, near the woods. Easy to build on and modify, some distance from water.
0 (0%)
The coast - Follow the river down until we find the coast of whatever it connects to. Could have fishing possibilities and other options.
4 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: RoC Community Forums Civilization Builders!  (Read 24928 times)

Anaxim

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
RoC Community Forums Civilization Builders!
« on: May 17, 2012, 02:55:52 AM »
So, this is pretty much a replica of a game I took part in on another forum board.

While in passing near an Earth-like planet, the SS Doodleydoo has a malfunction and ejects 30 of its clones to the planet, still in their PJs. 15 adult males and 15 adult females, with basic elementary school education, are stranded on a planet with no way to be rescued.
They will die without your help.

The Game
You are all somewhat of guiding forces. You are able to teach and impress upon the clones all kinds of things.
Your main goal is to have them survive.
Your main tool is providing them with progress and inventions: how to make weapons, how to collect food, how to refine and so on.
Your other tool are directives: methods on doing things, interacting with their environment and dealing with problems when they first arise.

The Rules
1) Anyone may join and may discuss with relevance to the game.
2a) You may only post a single invention and may not post another before 2 other players have.
2b) Linking to a Wikipedia article does not constitute an invention. You must phrase them yourselves.
2c) Inventions must include instructions and may not assume to use things that aren't decidedly available (i.e. you can't sharpen a wooden stick without cutting tools or methods).
3) You may not assume success or failure on any invention or directive. You are only to instruct. I review what is instructed and provide according reaction.

With that, let's start with the first status report:

Status: It is the beginning of Autumn. We are hungry. We have PJs but they will not last too long.
Technology: None.
Current Events: None.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: RoC Community Forums Civilization Builders!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 10:44:01 AM »
Sounds interesting, lets see if I do this right:
-------------------------------------
Invention: Sharp  rocks
Instructions: Find a rock and some flint(it has a glossy look to it, kinda like glass). Strike the rock against the flint to shear off sections to get sharp edges.
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Flickerdart

• Bathtub Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Minion
  • Problem Solver RoC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 11:17:53 AM »
Sounds fun, although our gene pool sucks. We're going to need to invent some biodiversity within a few generations...what's our environment like? I assume terrain such as forests, shores and such is accessible within reasonable travel time.

I'm assuming that the PJs will last us until we can get some food and hides, so I am going to propose the invention of Stone Spears: a more or less straight branch, to which the Sharp Rocks are attached by means of vines. With these spears, we can hunt prey for its food and hides (which we could fashion into clothing with a later invention), and defend ourselves from predators.

Geigan

• Team Awesome
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Dev Team Magic 8-Ball Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 01:21:28 PM »
Invention: Hunting

Insert Stone Spear into animal to kill. Collect carcass for raw materials such as meat, animal skins, and other animal products. These should be usable for other endeavors as well as serve to feed yourselves.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 02:42:03 PM by Geigan »

AugustNight

• Mook
  • A fool among wisemen
  • Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 01:31:03 PM »
Seek rocks that spark when struck together, send sparks to small amounts of dry thin dead vegetation, spread dry vegetation to small sticks to larger sticks. Attempt to invent fire.

Use fire to have warmth and light.
Beware a goat's front-side, a donkey's back-side, and a fool's every-side. ~Yiddish proverb

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 01:38:55 PM »
Take the skins from the hunted animals, and make fur clothing.

Geigan

• Team Awesome
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 02:40:12 PM »
Invention: Geography

Find bearings so as to ascertain surroundings and take stock of accesssible natural resources in our area. What wildlife surrounds us? What landmarks can we use to find our ways around? What water sources can be found nearby, salt or fresh?

Valixes

• Paladin
  • Elite
  • Knight of Life
  • Ballot Box Dev Team Eye of Seeing Dungeon Delver
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 03:31:47 PM »
Once we can understand our surroundings, we can then find places free of the elements - caves, good nooks and crannies to hide in while we sleep. So I invent shelter, areas that we may treat as a base of sorts for our operations, store our food safely, hide from rain, and angered wildlife.

Kajhera

• Minion
  • Scroll of Scribes
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 05:06:06 PM »
Using a Stone Spear, spit the meat collected from the carcasses, and roast it over Fire to invent Cooked Meat.
"The question arises: What constitutes dessert?" - John Stuart Mill, "Utilitarianism"

AugustNight

• Mook
  • A fool among wisemen
  • Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 05:14:14 PM »

Find bearings so as to ascertain surroundings and take stock of accesssible natural resources in our area. What wildlife surrounds us? What landmarks can we use to find our ways around? What water sources can be found nearby, salt or fresh?

Wait. Geography isn't as easy to intuitively pass on to others as the other tools so far.
We need to build up a language it seems! Something simple with symbols and perhaps eventually words even!
Beware a goat's front-side, a donkey's back-side, and a fool's every-side. ~Yiddish proverb

Geigan

• Team Awesome
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 05:21:44 PM »

Wait. Geography isn't as easy to intuitively pass on to others as the other tools so far.
We need to build up a language it seems! Something simple with symbols and perhaps eventually words even!
If they don't understand language how can they understand our instructions? I don't mean complex geography, I just mean the basics of our surroundings such as mountains, rivers, forests and such as well as basic surrounding fauna. The survivors have basic elementary school education so I think we should assume they understand the language we're speaking unless there's a language barrier I'm unaware of. If we want to expand on the language they do know I think that may be worthwhile.

Invention: Stone tools

Take the sharp rocks and create some other things out of rocks. Make a more pointed triangular head and tie it to a stick to make a stone pick. This should be useful for breaking up large rocks to make other stone things easier. Make a flat head with a wide sharp edge and tie it to a longer stick to make a stone axe. This should be useful for chopping wood, meat, or other things that need large hacking cuts to get apart. Make a similar rock shaped like the head of the stone spear and attach a short handle to create a stone knife. This should be handy for smaller things that need cutting. Be sure to keep the edge on it narrow and sharp to allow for easier cutting.

Anaxim

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 05:25:23 PM »
Just noticed the amount of replies. Do not feel that I have forgotten, just not getting Email notifs for some reason.

Will go over all this in approximately 6 and a half hours and give a status report.

Anaxim

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 01:31:23 AM »
Since we have quite so much new content (also, pardon the double post.), I would like to address it in order.

Sharp Rocks - passes.
Stone Spears - passes.
Hunting - passes as a concept. Actual hunting is not quite as easy, a better explanation would help.
Fire - that method is not yet available, we lack ferrous metals in order to spark with flint. There are plenty of other methods, though, some easily achievable with the stone tools we have.
Skinning - will pass once we have hunting down.
Geography - passes.
Shelter - passes.
Cooked Meat - see skinning.
Stone Tools - passes.

Also, there is no language barrier. They understand you fine and they are able to perform rudimentary communication among themselves.

Now that we have a proper list of what does and does not pass, a status report:

Status: It is the beginning of Autumn. We are hungry. We have PJs but they will not last too long. We have found shelter and a ready water source, as well as noted that we are in a relatively temperate forest area near a mountain. We have a small number of stone tools, including spears.
Technology: Basic stone tools.
Current Events: The Autumn is slowly starting to set in.

Also: I won't be around till Sunday (some 50 something hours from now. So feel free to pile up inventions.).
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 01:47:13 AM by Anaxim »

Geigan

• Team Awesome
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 01:56:36 AM »
Invention: hunting

Sorry, I made it simple as a bit of a joke but I suppose I'll have to go into more detail than that. First pay attention to the current wildlife around us. Look for tracks and signs of disturbance in the surrounding to take note of where animals may have passed through. Near water sources can be a good place to lay in wait or make traps for instance. Since we don't have traps or foraging for the bait for traps invented I'll start with simple hunting techniques. Look in hollows where smaller animal may take shelter. Be aware of your surroundings in order to spot wildlife. Stone Spears if created with the correct heft can be tossed at fleeing wildlife and with enough practice can hit and kill them from a distance. Make sure to keep spears close at hand for more dangerous prey. If you come across something dangerous such as a mountain lion or bear I would suggest 1) be in a group and 2) make yourselves appear as big as possible and make as much noise as possible to scare them off. Alone the noise and appearing big will most likely not work but together you can scare them away. If you're feeling brave you can corner such creatures and kill them from reach with your spears without getting yourselves hurt. Be wary of this though as we do not want any of you to get hurt and it's still a possibility we probably don't want to risk. It would probably be best you stick to smaller game for now. Rabbits, deer, and other such animals are hard to catch on foot, but if stalked properly you can lodge a spear in them and have them down before they know what hit them. All I said about paying attention to where they pass through applies here as this will most likely give you an opportunity to attack from a hiding spot and raise your chances of catching something. Note that  the younger and older animals will be easier to catch as they won't be as quick so if you miss a throw you still have the chance of chasing them down. We may be able to go into detail based on the wildlife we can find, but lets give this a shot for now and see what we catch.

I could easily go into other possible inventions that would aid in our hunting to make it easier or other alternatives for food, but since we have inventions based on this one I thought I'd give a shot at basic hunting techniques to see if this was enough to begin. If this doesn't work I would suggest other inventions such as atlatls, traps, foraging, and animal study to aid this invention's completion or cover our food needs first. Some of those may aid in hunting's completion as well if completed.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 02:47:11 AM »
Using animal fats as a base, we can make paints. Adding charcoal to it can yield a black paint, crushing some flowers into it may yield some basic colors.