Poll

We have moved out of the caves. It is spring time and we have a number of options for settlement.

The caves - Easy living space and we get free refrigeration. Close to water, but some distance from the trees.
1 (16.7%)
The forest, near the river - Lots of resources and water availability. Not easy to build in and ground is uneven.
1 (16.7%)
The plains - Locate a nice flat, open space, near the woods. Easy to build on and modify, some distance from water.
0 (0%)
The coast - Follow the river down until we find the coast of whatever it connects to. Could have fishing possibilities and other options.
4 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: RoC Community Forums Civilization Builders!  (Read 23837 times)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: RoC Community Forums Civilization Builders!
« Reply #135 on: June 03, 2012, 02:16:27 AM »
Mystify: We aren't facing either in enough quantity to account a dedicated role. Also, we have no idea how to dye furs and Gavin expresses annoyance at ruining his furs with paint.
But how else are we supposed to make him into a superhero?
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Anaxim

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #136 on: June 03, 2012, 02:17:53 AM »
You're not supposed to... yet.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #137 on: June 03, 2012, 02:24:04 AM »
Hmmm.
There are no enemies to use him as a weapon against
there are no crimes to prevent, nor super villains to foil.
There are nobody to intimidate
Nothing that we need to burn down
I never realized being able to shoot fire out of your hands could be so useless

Fako

• Sage
  • Minion
  • Scroll of Scribes Dungeon Delver
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #138 on: June 03, 2012, 01:34:32 PM »
While Gavin has the skill set of a hunter, it will be easier if the group instead thinks of him as a new specialization - a mystic.  He has an ability that no one else currently has, which can be applied to a large number of situations.  As such, there will be days when it will be best for him to not go hunting, instead helping the other groups with his ability.  His fire can be utilized to explore caves, relight fires, defend the group, or even cook food if it is needed.  However, there is one catch: for Gavin's ability to be useful, he needs to be able to practice it, just like the hunters practice spear throwing, and the potters practice pottery making.

To Gavin: Your ability will grow stronger with repeated use.  Think of it as exercising, you have to spend some time each day using it.  But make sure that you don't ignore your responsibilities in the process.  If you need a day near the rock, take a day near the rock, but expect to lead the hunting party the day after.  You have to balance your desires with the needs of the group.

Flickerdart

• Bathtub Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Minion
  • Problem Solver RoC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #139 on: June 03, 2012, 10:49:06 PM »
I still think we should worship the stone, with Gavin as head priest.

Also, we ought to invent refrigeration. Grab a bunch of snow or ice, and then put it somewhere in the back of the cave (or any of the extra caves we have, though we'd want to cover it to avoid animals eating our stuff). If it doesn't melt after a while, this is a good place to build up a large pile of ice, and then store fresh meat in the pile until we need to use it. Deep caves are naturally cold anyway (much like good, proper cellars), and the additional ice will keep the meat chilled regardless of the weather outside.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #140 on: June 03, 2012, 11:07:26 PM »
I still think we should worship the stone, with Gavin as head priest.
I'd rather avoid that. It hasn't given him any knowledge, so anything he comes up with won't be any better than anyone else, he'll just have fire to back it up. This could lead to an oppressive regime with people capable of using the fire powers forming a ruling class other those who don't. We should form a society where they are respected and work alongside the others for the greater good.

Flickerdart

• Bathtub Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #141 on: June 04, 2012, 10:40:38 AM »
And how exactly is an oppressive society with a fire priest ruling caste not desirable? It would be totally badass and you know it.

Kajhera

• Minion
  • Scroll of Scribes
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #142 on: June 04, 2012, 12:09:41 PM »
The mention of pottery making has me thinking, he should test his abilities as well as practice them. Determine what happens when he changes the configuration of his hand from the two ways he knows but focuses the same, keeps his hand the same but tries different means of focusing or focusing with different goals, compare the heat produced by the fire he can produce to the fires simply burning, see if he can sustain the fire for any length of time, and (carefully) see if he has any reduced sensitivity to heat from fires other than from the rock.

Worshipping the rock seems a bit silly. After all, we made fire perfectly well without its help, and there's no sign it's connected to anything in particular but Gavin yet. No harm in saying thank you; Gavin's new talent is pretty cool. But we should treat it based on what we know about it rather than making stuff up.
"The question arises: What constitutes dessert?" - John Stuart Mill, "Utilitarianism"

Anaxim

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #143 on: June 04, 2012, 04:01:22 PM »
Look up. There's a poll.
Will run for 5 days total.

Flickerdart

• Bathtub Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #144 on: June 04, 2012, 11:25:43 PM »
You fools, a priest caste would raise our Culture and let us unlock social policies faster! Otherwise that bastard Gandhi will overtake us and then overrun us with those damn elephants he always spams.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #145 on: June 05, 2012, 12:36:24 AM »
You fools, a priest caste would raise our Culture and let us unlock social policies faster! Otherwise that bastard Gandhi will overtake us and then overrun us with those damn elephants he always spams.
Gah, I just started playing civ V an hour ago

Anaxim

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #146 on: June 05, 2012, 12:59:14 AM »
While that particular off-topicness is cute - stay on topic please.

Fako

• Sage
  • Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #147 on: June 05, 2012, 03:36:54 AM »
We do not know the full capacity of the rock.  We should have Gavin move it from its enclosure temporarily, to a spot still visible from the cave entrance but free from trees.  In the rock's new location, build a fire, and see if the rock helps to augment the flames in any way.  While we cannot use it as a fire to stay warm at night (due to fevers), we might be able to use it to get higher temperatures for cooking/tanning, as well as other things.

Anaxim

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #148 on: June 05, 2012, 01:44:33 PM »
Due to the weather, the test with the rock and the fire needs to be delayed.
I'm willing to end winter if everyone is cool with that. Just fastforward ahead.

Fako

• Sage
  • Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #149 on: June 05, 2012, 03:29:42 PM »
Well, the question becomes what can be done during the winter.  Distant exploration is ill advised, as is developing any new discoveries.  In all honesty, the only two options I see at the moment are a) Flickerdart's cult, or b) mad science experiments to splice Gavin's power onto the rest of the group.  While both have the potential to be quite interesting, we do not have information pointing to the viability of either option...

I vote we use the downtime on the planet as an excuse for us (the overseers) to take a much needed vacation.  We will return at the onset of spring, unless circumstances change.