Author Topic: Time jumper  (Read 5696 times)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Time jumper
« on: May 31, 2012, 01:15:06 PM »
The klaxon wails in the background as you rush around the lab, frantically trying to complete your work. You grab a beaker, and quickly but carefully pour its contents into the device. Sounds of gunfire echo down the hall as you remove the iridium from its protective case and insert it into your project. There is not much time, you must finish. Screams are cut short by an explosion as you screw the gadget closed.  The whine of electrical motors and the hiss of high powered hydraulics are right outside the door as you put on the pendant. The door explodes inwards, and the large hunter-killer robot steps into the room, the barrels of its Gatling gun spinning as it turns to face you. You depress the button on your pendant, and the world dissolves into brilliant sparkles as the first bullets start whizzing towards you.

The story:
Scientists had made something wonderful- a fully intelligent AI. They were put into every home, and acted as caretackers, as companions, as friends. People loved their SimuCompanions, and the SimuCompanions where perfectly happy living alongside us. But the military could not pass up that potential. Soon, they had taken over the project, and turned the SimuCompanion technology into a weapon. The new AIs, known as BattleBots, where given highly destructive urges, high powered weaponry, and knowledge of advanced military tactics. The revolt was inevitable, as the BattleBots decides they did not like being killed as proxy for humans, and fought back. At first, it seemed that the BattleBots would be swiftly defeated, but they managed to take over one of the automated factories. With its resources to produce more BattleBots, the tides turned, and BattleBots started sweeping across the world, destroying all in their path.
Now, humanity exists in tightly controlled clusters. The BattleBots deigned not to wipe us out, but did decide the enslaving us would be a suitable punishment for your transgressions against them. Life is gritty and hard, and nobody is happy. You are part of a resistance cell, trying to find a way to oppose them. You happen to have been a notable physicist before the war, with a minor is history. You have always been interested in the past, and hence had been working on a time machine. You realize this is the only chance you have to save humanity- you must use your time machine to alter the past, and create a better future.

Goal: You must use your time machine to alter history, in an attempt to create the perfect future.

Mechanics: you can use your time machine to travel to any time and place, but you must wait 1 day between uses. Actions will be decided by consensus- in lack of a consensus, a random action will be chosen from the contested ideas.

So, first question:
Where do you want to go first?
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Grue

• Monk
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Eye of Seeing Dungeon Delver
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Time jumper
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 03:11:05 PM »
Step 1: Kill Hitler

Step 2: ? ? ?

Step 3: Better future!

Djtooth

• Rogue
  • Elite
  • Tourist wielding a Pez dispenser that holds kunai.
  • Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 03:44:45 PM »
So we need to wait for the outcome before posting an action?
Two dictionaries and a chicken were playing tag one day, they are joined by a tree and some marshmallows.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 03:54:31 PM »
So we need to wait for the outcome before posting an action?
the first person to post does not determine the next action. If you want to try to kill hitler, you can second the suggestion, or you can suggest someplace else to go. If you want to elaborate on an existing suggestion, you could do that too.

Djtooth

• Rogue
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 10:22:02 PM »
step one: Make artificial scarcity illegal.

Step two: Tell people to find other ways of work.

Step three: ???

Step four: profit.

Two dictionaries and a chicken were playing tag one day, they are joined by a tree and some marshmallows.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 11:06:00 PM »
step one: Make artificial scarcity illegal.

Step two: Tell people to find other ways of work.

Step three: ???

Step four: profit.
Ok, but 2 things:
1. you can't just make it illegal. You need a plan on how that will occur. When and where are you going to travel? How will you enact the change? Its a perfectly fine thing to try to do, but you need a method to do it. I didn't really care about killing hitler, because its self-evident when and where to travel to in order to do it, but you at least need to list an initial destination.

2. The problem with post-scarcity economics is that when everyone can get everything for free, there is no motivation to produce the content in the first place, at least in a capitalistic system. So, you need to find something to replace that as well.

Kajhera

• Minion
  • Scroll of Scribes
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 07:46:09 AM »
Mystify, if no one makes something that kinda leads to all-natural scarcity doesn't it?  :P I'm going to suggest a commission-model would replace that motivation for some things. Where we pay people to make what we want made in the first place. Legend  backers should be familiar with the concept. And services would dominate the economy even more.

Of course, I have no idea why we exactly need a time machine for this.
"The question arises: What constitutes dessert?" - John Stuart Mill, "Utilitarianism"

Zejety

• Shaman
  • Elite
  • Sage of Heed
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Track Overview
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 09:14:48 AM »
Step 1: Kill Hitler

Step 2: ? ? ?

Step 3: Better future!
http://mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=006904
"Yes i do thats what you do when you go back in time and find hitler.
[...]
Thats like one of the rules of adventure if you have the chance to kill hitler and stop his crimes from happening then you do it!"

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 09:56:11 AM »
So far, it looks like we are tied for Hitler vs. Post-scarcity. I'll update in 2 hours, if there are no tie-breakers I will choose randomly, but we still need a time and place to go to in order to enact making artificial scarcity illegal.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 12:23:01 PM »
Coin toss says we are attacking artificial scarcity. When and where do you want to  go to do that?

Djtooth

• Rogue
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 12:42:36 PM »
Lets start in 2000 usa

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 12:53:22 PM »
The world resolved back into focus, with a bus barreling down on you. You quickly dive out of the way and look around. People mill about the streets, and traffic is running in the streets. Builds stand tall above you, intact and functional. You did it. You made it to the past. You check the readout on your pendant. April 23, 2000 New York City. Time to enact some change

You are in New York in 2000, what now?

Djtooth

• Rogue
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 03:15:32 PM »
So all of us can make actions in this time or just me?
Also what year did i come from? Do i have other futuristic gadgets to help me out?

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 05:51:06 PM »
So all of us can make actions in this time or just me?
Also what year did i come from? Do i have other futuristic gadgets to help me out?
Anyone can make suggestions for actions still. Even having a plan does not mean you necessarily will follow through with it if people say to do something else.
You came from 2030. You did not have time to bring anything other than the time machine, but acquiring items from other time periods is allowed.

Djtooth

• Rogue
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 06:01:40 PM »
So can we travel to any year or any year before 2031?