Author Topic: A Board of Great Karma  (Read 7331 times)

delvin_anaris

• Administrator
  • Minion
  • Problem Solver
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: A Board of Great Karma
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2012, 02:44:57 PM »
One thing that I'm not seeing now but would appreciate is a way to see where you got your karma from, at least for yourself. In the minecraft forums, it displayed the number of thumbs ups you got on a post in the corner, which made it easy to tell how your post went over. I don't see anything similar here.

I've been looking for such a function but haven't identified one yet. I don't believe the option exists in our current karma system. That may require custom work.

Unless Mystify means a different Minecraft forum from the one I think, they're not using SMF, so what they have there isn't particularly useful for determining what we can install here.

delvin_anaris

• Administrator
  • Minion
  • Problem Solver
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2012, 03:52:51 PM »
Do people have thoughts one way or another about this reputation system?

It does a fancy weighted reputation score, with limits on how often you can change people's karma and other interestingly tweakable levers.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 03:59:07 PM »
Looks good. I'm not sure, but does it let you see where you gained your karma from? That is one thing I'm finding annoying with the current setup.
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

delvin_anaris

• Administrator
  • Minion
  • Problem Solver
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2012, 04:04:32 PM »
Looks good. I'm not sure, but does it let you see where you gained your karma from? That is one thing I'm finding annoying with the current setup.

I believe it does, but I'm not certain. If so, then I think it's actually pretty unusual among SMF karma systems.

crackpotTheorist

• Shaman
  • Minion
  • Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2012, 08:22:14 PM »
Interesting. Is still missing having the +/- ratio, instead of just a sum of both, but I could get behind a system like that, yeah.
Track overview (stolen from Zejety to spread the love)

Valixes

• Paladin
  • Elite
  • Knight of Life
  • Ballot Box Dev Team Eye of Seeing Dungeon Delver
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2012, 09:19:42 PM »
I prefer the two scores shown separately.
I would also vastly prefer if karma was shown when it is dolled out - so that people can't abuse the system.

tanwyn

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2012, 09:24:01 PM »
If we are going to use a karma system, I would rather have one like the reputation system that was linked. I'm not going to re-post it in it's entirety, but I've literally seen karma systems on SMF software completely destroy what had previously seemed to be good, stable groups.

J.T. Hurley

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2012, 09:34:31 PM »
I vote for just pulling it entirely. It doesn't actually provide meaningful feedback, and it gets in the way of people judging each post on its own merits. No matter what kind of karma system you implement, it's eventually just going to devolve into karma wars. I'm actually pretty sure going to public votes would speed that up, if anything.

afroakuma

• Administrator
  • Elite
  • Prayer Wing Scroll of Scribes Problem Solver RoC Staff Art Aficionado Eye of Seeing Aquarius Dev Team
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2012, 09:39:54 PM »
Currently, having a Karma system is... not an option.  :-\ Improving it is an option.

Extra

• Rogue
  • Minion
  • Back to the basics: making things complicated
  • Dungeon Delver
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2012, 09:43:30 PM »
Currently, having a Karma system is... not an option.  :-\ Improving it is an option.

That being the case I think the proposed reputation system is a much better idea now.

afroakuma

• Administrator
  • Elite
  • Prayer Wing Scroll of Scribes Problem Solver RoC Staff Art Aficionado Eye of Seeing Aquarius Dev Team
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2012, 12:43:24 AM »
See Announcements forum for new developments on this topic.