PirateRob

• Mook
  • Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Bard
« on: March 05, 2012, 12:00:20 AM »
Welcome to the 1st draft of myBard.

Feel free to leave questions/comments here, or on the google doc.

Tenno Seremel

• Shaman
  • Elite
  • Destiny is chain for the weak.
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Bard
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 03:57:46 AM »
There is no B.A.B. specified.

PirateRob

• Mook
  • Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 10:27:14 AM »
Opps, that got lost somewhere in copy/paste land. Got the BAB back on there now.

afroakuma

• Administrator
  • Elite
  • Prayer Wing Scroll of Scribes Problem Solver RoC Staff Art Aficionado Eye of Seeing Aquarius Dev Team
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 01:10:43 PM »
I'll have to take a look at this later; Bard kept coming up in "things people wished Legend supported" and stirred up attention as a result.

DragoonWraith

• Sage
  • Global Moderator
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Dev Team Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • DragoonWraith.com
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 01:19:02 PM »
Originally, there was a Skald, but... the Skald is probably the only class that saw more unsuccessful complete rewrites than the Ranger. Coming up with something that is simultaneously interesting, balanced, and not a total headache to design/display/run is very difficult.

Anyway, made some comments. Seems more of an actor/Elan-style Bard than a musician.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 01:37:33 PM by DragoonWraith »
Legend contributions: As Above, So Below (rewrite); Reap the Whirlwind, A Personal Touch, Kept Secret, Kept Safe (Professional Soldier); Combat Alchemist (extra track)

PirateRob

• Mook
  • Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 03:46:29 PM »
Thanks for all the helpful feedback DragoonWraith, I really appreciate it.

I Definitely pictured this Bard as a charming trickster who defeats opponents through wit and style. Not as a minstrel/musician. I was very wary of giving out sizable bonuses to everybody (ala 3.5 Bard) for fear of messing up too much combat math.

DragoonWraith

• Sage
  • Global Moderator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • DragoonWraith.com
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 04:08:29 PM »
Mm. Unfortunately, that doesn't quite jive with my concept of a Bard; that's more of a rogue (little 'r', actual definition of the word) to me.

Heh, I wish my feedback had been more useful; I was completely off-base on two of those (the extra Swift/Immediate action thing, the heal+make an attack thing).
Legend contributions: As Above, So Below (rewrite); Reap the Whirlwind, A Personal Touch, Kept Secret, Kept Safe (Professional Soldier); Combat Alchemist (extra track)

GRM13

• Monk
  • Minion
  • Ore! Sanjou!!
  • Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 11:12:00 PM »
When I think of a bard I personally think of someone fighting with the power of music/rock. no weapons but his guitar/lute/flute and weave yoru magic with it. Shoot lightning with a few cords played, having it be more potent with better play. Shock waves coming out of your cymbals. Heck you don't need a instrument, you could do it with your singing or dancing.

Examples of character in fiction that comes to mind are good example of bard.

-Princess Tutu
- Kamen Rider Hibiki
-The scene in Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World where they are having that face off against the twins.
- The guitarist (who's name escapes me at the moment) and Double C From God Hand
-Dante using the guitar weapon.
-I think you can count Eve From Parasite Eve as she burns everyone while singing.

Prime32

• Minion
  • Problem Solver
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 10:10:21 AM »
Examples of character in fiction that comes to mind are good example of bard.

-Princess Tutu
- Kamen Rider Hibiki
-The scene in Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World where they are having that face off against the twins.
- The guitarist (who's name escapes me at the moment) and Double C From God Hand
-Dante using the guitar weapon.
-I think you can count Eve From Parasite Eve as she burns everyone while singing.
Throw in Mic Sounders + some of the characters from Macross there. Bonus points for having pseudo-science explanation for how rock music can make robots and souls more powerful. Oh, and there's a bunch of music-themed magical girls out there.
All of those have used the themes "music inspires hope, and is thus harmful to beings based on fear" or "music makes people put aside their differences".

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 02:51:05 PM »
I'd reword the "additional swift or immediate each round", to "two swifts or immediates", so it doesn't stack with the item that gives 2 swifts. IT just seems like its asking for trouble to let a character get 3 swifts in a round. Look at what happens if you combine this with just blade and elementalist, for instance. You can add leveld6 to your attacks 3 times per round. There are lots of ways a pile of swifts becomes extremely powerful, and hence swift increasing things should not stack.
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

PirateRob

• Mook
  • Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 03:23:33 PM »
I just copied the ranger text for the extra swift/immediate. Am happy to change to stay inline with it.

DragoonWraith

• Sage
  • Global Moderator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • DragoonWraith.com
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 03:31:10 PM »
Rangers can already take a True Relic for three Swifts a round. This isn't adding anything new there.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 03:39:08 PM »
Ok, then you can use this to get 4 when combined with that.
Extra actions is something I would be extremely  wary of, and I'd argue that the ranger should probably be likewise changed.
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Zejety

• Shaman
  • Elite
  • Sage of Heed
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Track Overview
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 11:30:53 AM »
My first associations with RPG bards are Ragnarok Online's bard classes and Heroes of Newerth's Rhapsody.