Author Topic: Rumble2 [Sign Ups]  (Read 6406 times)

Djtooth

• Rogue
  • Elite
  • Tourist wielding a Pez dispenser that holds kunai.
  • Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Rumble2 [Sign Ups]
« on: June 20, 2012, 04:54:45 PM »
Alright ill host the next rumble match.

All are welcome to join, we wont start until more than 4 people agree to participate.

Rules summary:
  • Players generate a pool of abilities by choosing from a list or making up their own abilities.
  • Players secretly bid on those abilities spending Energy. Energy is an important ressource during actual play; don't spend too much!
  • Each turn, players can spend their current Energy total to attack, defend or use their abilities. (this does not actually consume energy)
  • Actions are revealed simultaneously
  • Damage taken (attacks-defense) is subtracted from Energy.
  • Players are eliminated when Energy reaches 0.
  • Last man standing wins
Please read the full rules if you are interested.

The game classically uses a super hero theme for its powers but I have also prepared a legend track themed version if you prefer that.

Players:
I am looking for 3-5 players.
One turn will last approximately 48h (maybe 72h if it turns out you need more time) to ensure that people from different timezones get to do their thing.
This thread will be used for discussion and player communication. Send your actions to me via PM. No secret communication between players, I'll trust you on this.

Please post here if you want to play and state which theme you would prefer: super heroes or Legend.

Houserules:
After powers have been selected but before bidding begins, players can vote for one power to get removed from the pool.
If a player misses the deadline for sending me his actions, I will randomly distribute his Energy on attack and defense. Attacks will get evenly distributed among all opponents.

The previous champion Judge Injury will be the announcer.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 05:39:27 PM by Djtooth »
Two dictionaries and a chicken were playing tag one day, they are joined by a tree and some marshmallows.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Rumble2
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 05:17:26 PM »
I'll play again
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Zejety

• Shaman
  • Elite
  • Sage of Heed
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Track Overview
    • Awards
Re: Rumble2
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 06:48:50 PM »
Ah, thanks a lot for taking over. This takes a lot of my current load from my shoulders. (Bachelor Thesis! *shakes fist*)
I'd gladly participate as a player.

Djtooth

• Rogue
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Rumble2 [Sign Ups]
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 10:24:05 PM »
This is still a thing if anyone wants to join.
Two dictionaries and a chicken were playing tag one day, they are joined by a tree and some marshmallows.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 10:24:36 PM »
I'm still willing to play again

Geigan

• Team Awesome
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Dev Team Magic 8-Ball Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 10:35:05 PM »
I'll give it a shot.

Djtooth

• Rogue
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 10:09:13 PM »
We currently have three players still need at least two to start.

Castodas

• Ace
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 02:10:28 AM »
This is a shame, someone needs to start one of these. This sounds like fun- though I would probably lose, haha.

Actually, if anyone is interested I think I will try to take this over. My rules will be similar to the ones above but with a couple changes (and if the original author would like to take it back over, I will gladly submit):

- First I want each player participating to come up with one theme of their own (such as super heroes), please choose your theme upon sign up.
- Next, once we get at least 4 players, preferably 5, each player will vote on any theme mentioned other than their own. Majority will choose the theme, and I will break ties.
- Furthermore, I'd like each player to come up with 2 powers. (If players would prefer I pick the powers, make that vote on sign up and majority will rule that decision).
- Finally, once the players have all posted their selection of powers, each may select one for removal.

And if anyone with better experience than I would like to help me make sure powers are kept reasonable, will be appreciated.

The full rules are linked with the first post, but for your convenience, here it is again: http://kevan.org/rumble.cgi?genre=hero&mode=rules

Here is a link to the default set of powers if you can't think of your own:  http://kevan.org/rumble.cgi?genre=hero&mode=viewall[\b]
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 02:28:36 AM by Castodas »

Zejety

• Shaman
  • Elite
  • Sage of Heed
    • View Profile
    • Track Overview
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 09:56:11 AM »
It is hard to make truly broken powers as the game is quite good at balancing itself (unless you do something breaking this very balancing mechnic purposefully) and with all players banning stuff, I wouldn't worry about balance issues.

Will banning happen double blind so that there can be an overlap? Otherwise we will end up with one power per player in the pool and that seems rather low-ish to me.

Otherwise, everythings sounds fine and fun.

My suggested theme is: Legend circles and feats

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 10:05:01 AM »
If you are going to have the removal aspect, then I'd say you need multiple people to want to remove a power for it to be tossed out.

Castodas

• Ace
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 12:05:12 AM »
Ha! I'm honestly very surprised this popped back up. I was actually expecting someone to berate me for reviving this thread.

To Mystify: yeah, that was actually my intention. I failed at wording.

Hmm, but thinking on what Zajety said, would it be better if everyone came up with 3 or maybe even 4 powers? Just to allow for a large variety? Though that may result in too many people spending too many points and resulting in a very short game. So how about three powers/ person and then we will vote off 2 powers from the pool.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 12:13:14 AM »
I don't think a veto mechanic is really necessary. If something is really powerful, then people will bid a lot more to get it, and hence have less for other things. And you don't want to make something too powerful, as someone else will probably get it. Between those two things, power creation tends to work out.

Castodas

• Ace
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 03:33:59 AM »
Sure. I don't really care. I came up with that awhile ago and I'm not really sure what I was thinking. Lol.

So am I counting you in mystify, or is Zajety the only one?

But regardless, I can't exactly start this without at least three people, and that may even be too low.
Is three people too low Zajety?

Zejety

• Shaman
  • Elite
  • Sage of Heed
    • View Profile
    • Track Overview
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 03:51:27 AM »
I don't have that much experience with the game either to be honest.
The game plays quite differently with a different number of players.

The more players, the easier it is to gang up on somebody but the stronger become "+X to every attack" abilities.
I think, games with less players are more predictable after the bidding phase, which is neither a good or a bad thing inherently.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 10:06:24 AM »
sure, count me in.