Author Topic: Last Stand  (Read 1906 times)

GRM13

• Monk
  • Minion
  • Ore! Sanjou!!
  • Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Last Stand
« on: June 24, 2012, 01:15:10 PM »
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/funhaver/last-stand/

So browsing around I ran into this little gem here. The game seems interesting as you are able to gain powers from the monsters you fight, meaning like maybe taking a giant scorpion's stinger or picking up butterfly wings. The Ragnarok and Dungeon setting also seem quite awesome, (always wanted to play a character that gain powers from it's enemies, like taking the fire breath glands of a dragon and eating it so I could do it as well).

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Last Stand
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 02:09:48 PM »
Not a bad implementation of the mechanic. A previous DM of mine once let me eat the heart of a red dragon we slew (my ranger was heavily focused on using fire enchantments and was already immune to fire by this point). I gained the fire version of the Midas touch, which had its good sides (flametongue swords) and bad sides (medieval settlements are primarily constructed of wood).

Have you ever played a Blue Mage in a Final Fantasy game? I'd suggest FF5, but a handful of the others have that class as well.
The idea could be brought into Legend without too much trouble (3.5's non-core Spell Thief prestige class), though balancing it would be a nightmare.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 02:15:52 PM by Yoder »
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

DragoonWraith

• Sage
  • Global Moderator
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Dev Team Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • DragoonWraith.com
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 05:07:43 PM »
Spellthief was a base class, and was sadly quite weak.

The concept would work pretty well in Legend, since Circles give a great way of determining relative power level of abilities, but I dunno what will or won't be balanced.
Legend contributions: As Above, So Below (rewrite); Reap the Whirlwind, A Personal Touch, Kept Secret, Kept Safe (Professional Soldier); Combat Alchemist (extra track)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 05:43:06 PM »
There is My Name is War, which has a similar concept.
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly