Author Topic: Shōendō: the Way of Statecraft  (Read 59439 times)

Lord_Gareth

• Mook
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Shōendō: the Way of Statecraft
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 09:27:36 AM »
Orders are sent out amongst the Serpent Clan, and they boil forth from their holdings in a thunderous herd. Their sudden movement pulls itself up short at two locations - the Northern Forest and a clan-less Farmland that gratefully accepts the protection and patronage of the Serpents.

Spoiler
Establishing a Forest holding (to acquire wood and whatever else a Forest does) and establishing a Farmland holding in order to produce Goats.

A missive, carried by trusted messenger, is brought to the samurai-lord of the Wolf Clan. The messenger intimates that Lady Shikomi would be more than willing to negotiate with the lord's master, if such a thing is available, but that her Ladyship understands that the Wolf Clan has fallen on hard times.

Spoiler
Greetings, and welcome, from the Serpent Clan to the Wolf Clan. May many blessings rain upon your people.

Even in the distant steppes that we call our home, the Serpent Clan has heard legends of the ferocity of the Wolf. My mistress, Lady Shikomi, says of late that she smells blood on the wind and fears that our ways of isolation will no longer be enough to safeguard those who look to the Serpent Clan for protection. The seasons are changing, and we must change with them.

To this end, my mistress - the Lady Shikomi, Daimyo of the Serpent Clan - wishes to discuss the possibility of alliance with the Wolf Clan. Until such negotiations are concluded, she asks such favor as this: that neither clan shall interfere in the business of the other until a treaty is concluded or refused.

Our messenger is at your disposal, should you wish to use him.

Good fortune to the Wolf Clan,

Lord Kyoto Orochi, first samurai of the Serpent Clan.

Once the missive is sent, Lord Kyoto emerges from the Serpent Clan's territory. Their archers march quickly, moving through narrow mountain passes in order to cut through the land as quickly as possible. When they arrive at their destination, Lord Kyoto observes the mountain Shrine of the Enenra with a certain amount of cold disdain. What need did a true clan have of such petty magics as these?

"No quarter," he ordered softly, and his archers drew back on their bows to begin the assault.

Spoiler
Attacking the Shrine holding of Clan Enenra

gkathellar

• Tactician
  • Global Moderator
  • Ace
  • My right hand was thunder, and my left was stone
  • Scroll of Scribes RoC Staff Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing Dev Team Art Aficionado Magic 8-Ball
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2012, 11:56:29 AM »
After receiving the Serpent clan's message, Ōkinayama Shin waits only a day for more news of Yasumaru in the South. Then, surrounded by the whispering of the court, he drafts a reply and sends it to the Serpent Clan.

Spoiler
Greetings, Orochi-dono, and well met. We are honored by the attentions of the Serpent, whose auspice and fortunes are known throughout Ōshōen.

We too, have felt the empire shift beneath our feet, and the knowledge that we are not alone in this is welcome. As the world moves around us, the Wolf welcomes and honors the friendship of the Serpent. While my master Ōkami-sama is at present indisposed, and I cannot say when he will be otherwise, I act with his full sanction in inviting you to further negotiations. We shall, as you have asked, abstain from any hostility, and welcome Shikomi-sama or any others she sees fit to visit at the house of the Wolf.

I wish the Serpent Clan the continued favor of the gods, and much further prosperity.

Ōkinayama Shin, Chief Retainer of the Wolf Clan
Seven is the Number of Legend.
This is my mod voice.

afroakuma

• Administrator
  • Elite
  • Prayer Wing Scroll of Scribes Problem Solver RoC Staff Art Aficionado Eye of Seeing Aquarius Dev Team
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Week Two
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2012, 12:01:57 PM »
New players still being accepted and will be compensated accordingly.

If you have gained new holdings, you will need to allocate your forces between your holdings.

Week Two
Imperial Tariff: 5%
The Boar Clan is favored by the Emperor.
The Enenra Shrine has capitulated to the Serpent Clan without a struggle.
All Holdings produce resources:

Spoiler
Black Lotus Clan
Spoiler
}?;;U?.+DE17KD'5+7UJ*<18-;<D<9:1UhUYOn7<D:*>).aW':DE17KD1?9=UQ4:O¶
VXU 43?8V
/G:7Ok*HE1&>*<UH744;,;WUT_EnHM.9OMnHM.9O)8KF98O'<U}444NV
/G:7O.8B<.379HFJ4)E).UhTTOwBEcD>9+5:WUD|/7:de1D+;?F,D#;+IL&33+H¶
7F)D357IM2*OVXU}444S

Cherry Grove Clan
Spoiler
-<GASr3AA93=8@Q?F<6D72Q_c\Q!=07\
-<GAS5A;86@6GLK8996Nd\aN&FAN5;6Nd\aNv57AF67BS.@3S0A=GB?4S]aN¶
y<A3a

Boar Clan
Spoiler
1BHW45;<W09<A=0S9NGHF8JW4C1;A7?FS
1;ID?9?=R?=B=*;WYhbR+;@)@=;K`
,GAFD>A/LRGGKH-<WmEC8J;FD?9<W84J:9)VQ8MRclK|3=D>=A6=K53;W¶
qEC8J551V}*NBEe
%C:IWuAA8W<F4;M,=FRh[cD J8F^RO4=(?W2KR6D-=2<<H:LRQ;I7VK6AG;KK:4IW¶
==6;F;@4>A,9?RJ1G*8J,@`
,GAS-8N.WE8K157:@.<R.:)$&KL.JAR/1@)@F03a55WS&V3+5'<=>Sm2f+5R¶
G=/<3FD8?LRL459V?2N8FWEC:IW<G?7A1F8V9HhbWW.C3LKHLBR9@H&:CH¶
KGE=:;9?e
"GHEW4C1;A7?FRQ591;WYibR*ECD8F-W6BF?I2<W[gRxG;8RV#.=CRQ;I7V¶
@8D7<F3GD==-WBEWEC:VE*QR5=K:4I;.<RGGK5'8F-GARL492d

Enenra Clan
Spoiler
-<GH,5=>H:6H.DB9GH<<>-.B;CI
-<GH-5J5H@<E=D5S88@1;7,SH?HH57Hw9F@.BAQk15BP
"CBDHqCB1<H2D2*GS@;C1G,*Sh_H|;E9.F5D2C;_
"4IFOk@.@Hl954HD?A-:79CHdaQq3GD9;5A;83S5>-S?3289GOZcLz78D=B*H6A7D¶
:F?6SFA>7S!?75@F.7=9CV
-<G;D<C<-=;9<DM=558Lb\TS&I8S.@-D7C><I:7HYcSu8C1_Ho99@HM<G;D¶
<C<-=;9<D:94TS<DH>CIO@=9>H3994HH<Q*'5B48BLF1*Aa

(57Hx=A559@EHhF916Sw;-4S;579?3=*GSbYSu@<5=F1==<@V

Serpent Clan
Spoiler
;HF;1;=H.-<584DL1918F;?1<253FG
,?:JHl-E4?13<H7>B+H3*KHW[RmB19KV
 ;H9Ru4J.:@R7E?)M,,?RWb_D/860`
 BE7W{/><58O5J8+A6,FOUWu(:4TR)4MH5;JF;1;=H(K@(K92M6F/4743.LBF;9F¶
cOq97(Y
,6HBD@830<5:CDJ*0?8FcbTWz@;R(A4D;85?H48OXgHl;B+`Oo=.7KL6HBD¶
@830<5:CD>.+KB9RI4MH4-LF55D>89/8+RD4W*)-A+B>DL1,9`

Tsuchigumo Clan
Spoiler
(1*Q,H=-*D_KS *4X#=-4Q@9=78QRGIHUgX C74DX9HH(ANJHV
}ANW<*;7X=5;37=Wd`DzG>@>*@<=a
"4GXKD.36XhcXDzGKD273MAC7D3G<SYTaXLCH)7O=@85QM@9Ho;=GSJo;MKI7*XLW¶
!*8=XG:Hj;K=UTD3X,=.7Q"WG9*>EWH1&FXF90&F>KS=-7X:C7:EX9BH4BIGG239X¶
+56:D:AS;*5>AJ.8Q?GFH-3OAB0D3XLM9*Q:<J*3F:?9H4H>JSB4GKWC@3_X!HH¶
(ALLGHUQ&9B*R
+HMFH77L=5;(:X@5<D9:AB.)QRGIHUQ:<829;HF55D~:F5V
}ANJS{-DBF9H5DH<I,*EXhSu&@:e
-8:DX@C5);G?GH73BK9HUahW&B4Q:F8H(AGKI6*QigSn4A=eSs*7IWM8:DX¶
@C5);G?GH+7=WC;DKHMS6&KX@5?*QMGS*'3G<C7DFA=AV

Wolf Clan
Spoiler
5??H?,BJOPG9HF0P[8K<.2F2L\
)KE<H@:GKB=26.W/>A4OO2*N0XS?JOC8MJjqO$?88JX
2KENO-8M=ME5NCI19A>[7=98.<JRKE[cIqF1EQ5J3/V
1:NNO}?<-==E=>@CI,D,BIOP8/HD4OAC[?0HkZX/?H43.J>X=>@O/*J9XU?QO^XWrHJ?N]
#8M=X)9J5I9J:=Q3ACIYgZX%BK>W
"G@K[8K<.2F2L[IE56-W[jkO.I9H99=[3K>=>E0Xn_[u98<XX'5A@IBG@K[8K<.2F2L[6A4I8JJRKE[G35DJGA5@O>8W,;=>@?8HL3>I]
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 09:19:21 PM by afroakuma »

afroakuma

• Administrator
  • Elite
  • Prayer Wing Scroll of Scribes Problem Solver RoC Staff Art Aficionado Eye of Seeing Aquarius Dev Team
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2012, 12:20:34 PM »
Word of warning: clarified combat rules have been posted.

Word of suggestion: Influence can be used as a resource.

Word of notice: New information up on Imperial Favor.

Word of reference: 100 Influence will definitely buy you the aid of an Imperial bureaucrat. Applications for that, or costs for officials above that, are nebulous.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 01:41:27 PM by afroakuma »

Exelixi

• Barbarian
  • Ace
  • Dwarfs can do lots of stuff. Like dig.
  • Contest Champion Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2012, 12:55:40 PM »
Disregard; problem fixed.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 12:59:11 PM by Exelixi »
http://www.ruleofcool.com/smf/index.php/topic,1185.0.html - A point-buy chassis (class) system. Perfectly balanced by the judicious application of SCIENCE!

""Release your inner dwarf.  Then get him some ale!" -EspyLacopa
"I have no idea what Exelixi looks like. I just picture crow feathers and a claymore." -Fro

Exelixi

• Barbarian
  • Ace
  • Dwarfs can do lots of stuff. Like dig.
  • Contest Champion Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2012, 01:17:37 PM »
A new Farm has recently been raised in the Boar territory, producing Rice.

A map lays on Kaiga Shiranui's table. It indicates
Spoiler
hbbW~C1;A.JFR9>C:E<HL;8WqC7KJ.KF^Wx=3<cH9A7Wq57DcH9A7W\dTV9=WG;=K¶
t(8<.EL`

Spoiler
*8@95B.E?HJ8FGAF(<Kb
hegW}M4

llH!EBF

bcD|G8<

fcgK'4C<2=EF
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 02:03:33 PM by Exelixi »
http://www.ruleofcool.com/smf/index.php/topic,1185.0.html - A point-buy chassis (class) system. Perfectly balanced by the judicious application of SCIENCE!

""Release your inner dwarf.  Then get him some ale!" -EspyLacopa
"I have no idea what Exelixi looks like. I just picture crow feathers and a claymore." -Fro

KyleJ

• Paladin
  • Elite
  • Maker of Cool Stuff
  • Typo Hammer Eye of Seeing Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2012, 01:58:18 PM »
Lord Hazama has heard disturbing reports from the territory of the Enenra clan, and sends a messenger to Lord Enenra with the following.

Spoiler
My old friend,
I have heard troubling reports of an unprovoked attack on your territory.  The rumors of anti-magical sentiment fueling the violence are particularly disturbing.  I feel that the best course of action would be to take back your shrine as swiftly as possible to show that these attacks will not be tolerated.  As it is your land, I will defer to your judgment for the time being, but please bear that there is a possibility that the Serpent clan presents a very real danger to me as well.

The spider is patient, but its bite is deadly.

Yours,
Hei

He also orders the construction of Farmland and sends new instructions to his ambassadors to attempt to Curry Favor

Spoiler
(1*Q:E6*8E:<C;8QF=B=.AGWH1*;KW7835>JB<D3;GI=DFA=S{*DI=B=D5E9BH9AX¶
L<.DvFH9;4DdWK1.>>WI<.@@WG>'FE=S6&9B;S=4QF9?.DFA==;D5:K9H2G<@S¶
64D>W783HBF7239fWSk&EMAB0D%IA8.7XLW+.'Q:?523EMWH1*Q,=F9*@MW75&@fW¶
Sj>QM@9H<3RcSB4GXF9?*DXLC5)QF=S14IXEI,-QBFG9.D:L=83Q"WG=&DM=8H¶
<;M@aHD%I=B-.@@W<8<7O=FH2G<@S238EM97(7X!S7*7=WH8DEI=B-DY"W<*;7X¶
hkQR
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 05:08:26 PM by KJacobs »
Remember, the rules exist to facilitate the game, not the other way around.

Alternative OFFICIAL Character Sheet
GM Screen (OUTDATED)
Quickstart Sheet
Mook Quicksheets

IF YOU WANT ME TO SEE SOMETHING QUICKLY, PM ME. I don't check this forum regularly.

Lord_Gareth

• Mook
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2012, 05:04:10 PM »
Spoiler
This is just an action skeleton; roleplaying segments later

Constructing Farmland to produce Food (100 Ryo).

Researching additional technology in Animal Husbandry (100 Ryo).

Lord Kyoto and a force of One Hundred and Fifty Soldiers attacks a Clan Enenra Monastary. My remaining forces return to my Territory (100 Ryo)

Greenish

• Elite
  • Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2012, 07:27:48 PM »
The Cherry Grove clan is famed for the delicious Cherries it produces.

The clan is ruled by Makumato Hirayo, a Scholar of some distinction, and his right hand, Hajoshiko Monoshi, a master of Archery.

The ancestral lands of The Cherry Grove Clan are fertile Farmlands of the Valley of Cherries, an area consisting mostly of Rice fields, but given a great beauty by the cherry tree groves that dot the valley in harmonious patterns.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 07:39:20 PM by Greenish »
Legend characters:

Samael Krane, chain-smoking demon paladin.

Greenish

• Elite
  • Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2012, 08:12:16 PM »
The Cherry Grove clan Expands to take over the abandoned and ancient Fortress of Great River standing near the Valley of Cherries.

To defend the fortress, they Levy more forces and Instate a new Samurai, Yamato Kuriburi, master of Fortifications.

Led by the Scholarly clan head Makumato Hirayo, the artisans of the clan develop a more advanced system of Irrigation based on a complex system of pumps and channels (Research Technology). To celebrate the event, the clan sends a princely gift of cherries to the Emperor.

Spoiler
'2@3S.Qu=3FNC3Q_c\Qq<2DA=2ENH<QC<2QsA=7AC?_
_h\Q"C9689?EN5;6N'.?DF.;N-.?0H<QyI?;1I?;N[rAAH6887.F8C;EWS.D4S¶
@F0H6A=91Q8BLF79Lw>FAD4G@_
_h\Q"C9689?EN5;6N'.?DF.;N{.<>G5;:CL~>B<E7=LYoF0:4FFZN5?7N¶
GA3C=<@48L;=SA:4Sr3AA93=8@_
Legend characters:

gralamin

• Tactician
  • Minion
  • Sentient Construct
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box Art Aficionado Capricorn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2012, 08:47:59 PM »
Spoiler
e<2HC=88540;J8DC+7JW4:DE=>A8DD;;DW)4O48JW-&F+HIH.05*H<J:.D9VU¶
,-*IE-EW-4G+?;JPD<58AW+4BE9;G515E@>GD&B+HIH*(9,29911IE>FK*9O¶
'+EM9DD..?JD5B+<;F(*[E*D<D211.U9D3?:.UG+DD..CW+4BE/KL:75E¶
,EF9&3:VU_}*CQH9G391)=UdDmV3HKHD9?E7EW,4?*V^

Edit:
Spoiler
U_UHIG1.4+;IW-4<*HCQD(16=?91
Y_E2DW*&3.H>G1)940U!D&=E=7C.37E=>A8DD;;De

The Black lotus focus inwards after their appearance, starting to produce more Farmland.
In addition, the Scholar lord attempts to make their farms more productive, starting to research into growing Medicinal herbs. (Changed after talking to the Fro.)
It also attempts to gain control of a nearby Forest that produces Medical Herbs.
Finally, he sends out messengers to the Serpents, and Wolves, each with a gift of fruits (20 each)

"Serpent's Missive"
Lady Shikomi, who rules the forests green,
The Black Lotus clan brings gifts of Bounteous fruit.
May we trade and barter, for the wood you provide
houses my people, as my fruit feeds yours.

"Wolf's Missive"
Hail,  Ōkami Yasumaru, and the Soldiers of the fortresses.
You whom protect our lands deserve our respect and gifts.
However, our need is also great - just as we can provide
you with food, we cannot grow it with the iron from your tools,
our Calvary cannot defend it without horseshoes. May we trade
and barter, for a better future?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 10:15:21 PM by gralamin »

Lord_Gareth

• Mook
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2012, 08:53:55 PM »
To the Wolf Clan
A runner is sent ahead to the Wolf Clan announcing that Lady Shikomi graciously accepts the Wolf's invitation of hospitality; a day later, the Lady herself arrives, clad in armor and attended upon by a small cadre of body servants. The lady is not beautiful, but might be called darkly attractive; she is tall, regal, and carries herself like an experienced warrior does. Her weapons, though ceremonial, have unmistakably seen frequent use. The Lady of Serpents is more than willing to stand on ceremony and pays much respect to her hosts before they finally settle down to do business.

"I am glad that the Wolf has chosen to accept our offer of friendship," she confides to the samurai-regent. "I did not relish the thought that I might have to face your forces in battle, nor do I find any honor in the prospect of assaulting an enemy who is still fresh with grief. My condolences for the death of your lord."

She pauses for a moment to gather her thoughts.

"My forces are currently committed in a siege of Enenra lands. My hope is to eliminate the wild factor of the monks' magics before true war can grip the Empire. The struggles of men I can understand, but a spell may well turn the tide of battle on its own. I am certain that you can understand how I might wish to limit this as a factor. It is my desire to open up profitable channels of trade with the Wolf Clan, and to secure a pact of mutual military aid and defense." Here the lady pauses, inviting a response by reaching for her drink.

To the Black Lotus
A reply is sent by messenger from one of Lady Shikomi's subordinates.

Blessings to the Black Lotus,

We gratefully accept your gesture of good will and would be more than happy - no, say instead that we would be delighted - to trade with the Black Lotus for the bounty of its farmlands. The Divine Emperor, in His wisdom, has placed a trade tariff, somewhat limiting the extravagance of any initial offer, but it is our hope that the offering of wood sent with this messenger may be traded for an equivalent amount of food.

Offering to trade 60 Wood to the Black Lotus Clan in exchange for an equivalent amount of Fruit (Costs 63 Wood due to Imperial Tariff)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2012, 09:01:22 PM »
Lord Enenra sends a reply to Lord Hazama
Spoiler
I appreciate your advice, but I am not in a position to act on it. I have no Samuri to lead an attack against them. I fear that, unaided, I may fall to my attackers. Without meeting a strong resistance,will use their conquest as a first step to gaining enough might to threaten the other clans.
The Serpant clan is a clear danger to all clans. They lack honor, attacking the foe they knew was unable to threaten them.

Lord Enera also sends messengers to all of the Clan leaders, except for the serpent
Spoiler
My esteemed friend,
The Serpent clan has attacked our shrine unprovoked. As you know, we strive for a peaceful existence and provide peaceful aid to those we can. This attack against us is both cowardly and dishonorable. These are not the actions of warriors. These are the actions of bullies.
I call upon you, noble brethren, to stand together alongside me, and let Serpent clan know that this behavior will not be stood for. For if he conquers my holdings, what will keep him from attacking yours? We should not let this Clan destroy the peace between us.
Any aid you provide will be rewarded. We were working on spells which would aid our allies when Serpent clan interrupted. Stop them, and when our progress is back on track we will extend these benefits to you.

The Enenra clan deploys their soldiers to the monastery to defend it against the attackers.
We also have beautiful Apple Orchards(buying farmlands)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 09:22:00 PM by Mystify »
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

KyleJ

• Paladin
  • Elite
  • Maker of Cool Stuff
  • Typo Hammer Eye of Seeing Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2012, 09:09:54 PM »
Lord Hazama replies to Lord Enenra:

Spoiler
I apologize for the confusion - clearly my scribes could do with more oversight.  I meant to suggest that I send you a detachment of my forces to help you push back the invading horde.  My son's expertise with siege weaponry should tip the scales in our favor.
Remember, the rules exist to facilitate the game, not the other way around.

Alternative OFFICIAL Character Sheet
GM Screen (OUTDATED)
Quickstart Sheet
Mook Quicksheets

IF YOU WANT ME TO SEE SOMETHING QUICKLY, PM ME. I don't check this forum regularly.

Greenish

• Elite
  • Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2012, 09:15:23 PM »
Lord Hirayo, leader of the Cherry Grove clan, sends a messenger to Lady Shikomi of the Serpent clan.

Spoiler
(Attached to the note is the message from Lord Enera begging for help, crushed. The note itself is short: )

Honour to the strong. Victory for the worthy.

-Makumato Hirayo

A messenger is also sent to Lord Enenra of the Enenra clan, with the following missive.

Spoiler
Ruling is both a privilege and a responsibility. If a lord cannot protect his own, what claim does he have for his position?

--Makumato Hirayo
Legend characters: