Author Topic: Shōendō: the Way of Statecraft  (Read 59438 times)

gralamin

• Tactician
  • Minion
  • Sentient Construct
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box Art Aficionado Capricorn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Shōendō: the Way of Statecraft
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2012, 09:24:17 PM »
To Lord Enera
It is sad to see you harmed, old friend. Although I cannot act directly, soon we will have knowledge of secret Herbs, and with them the ability to treat the injured.  Stay strong, and the herbs may yet reach you in time.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2012, 09:32:14 PM »
Lord Enenra sends a message back to Lord Hazama:
Spoiler
In that case, I thank you for your support. You have my gratitude, and I shall return the favor when the time comes.

He also sends a message to lord Hirayo
Spoiler
Why should 1 man need to be strong when 10 men would be stronger? Does a man need to swing a sword to be valuable? All of your soldiers would be useless if not for the humble farmer. He may not be strong himself, but his support is necessary for the might of the samurai.
I may not be able to swing the sword myself, but that does not mean you cannot profit from an alliance with me.

And replies to Emiya Kortio
Spoiler
Thank you, those will be much appreciated. I have always appreciated your "special" goods, and hope we will be able to trade in the future.
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

KyleJ

• Paladin
  • Elite
  • Maker of Cool Stuff
  • Typo Hammer Eye of Seeing Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2012, 10:06:18 PM »
Spoiler
!8;7XEMH83FMF*.QMGS=-7X|B.3D:W75&@_KS6&;GWA833LL9;>_
Remember, the rules exist to facilitate the game, not the other way around.

Alternative OFFICIAL Character Sheet
GM Screen (OUTDATED)
Quickstart Sheet
Mook Quicksheets

IF YOU WANT ME TO SEE SOMETHING QUICKLY, PM ME. I don't check this forum regularly.

gkathellar

• Tactician
  • Global Moderator
  • Ace
  • My right hand was thunder, and my left was stone
  • Scroll of Scribes RoC Staff Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing Dev Team Art Aficionado Magic 8-Ball
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2012, 11:03:23 PM »
With events as they are and recent depletion of forces becoming an issue, the Wolf Clan's soldiers deploy in proper, with orders from Ōkinayama Shin to ensure the clan shows its strength well throughout its territories. He gives several speeches to the Wolf's families on preparing the clan for the arrival of their lord, who has earned great accolades in the south for his skill and virtue in assisting in the defeat of a powerful Oni demon.

Not all of the Wolf Clan is happy with Ōkinayama's recent plays at regency, however. While troops move, the Wolf Clan's Sōgen family takes action bordering on the rebellious: they strike out to expand the clan's territory, claiming a new Plainsland for the Wolf — a shrewd maneuver, as the Wheat production of this new territory protects them from criticism.

Spoiler
wA<F-?6,PU`fWzO7D@3PK@.U)(B::JA=?73P47V9H&4&:3DC97:G99&EV¶
H;E,:4*DV/1;)9PL:d=VUm4@)Yd

x5B7(29:E?HkWDE7@FH<U-&4-PKGHJ0*Pf@I<.H4&?)DbWxB).?8=8F-U)35D¶
yIG7Ut.?*DbW*D,DcTPKGHJ0*Pj@IL;;;8^

In any case, Ōkinayama is much to distracted by troop movements and Lady Shikomi's arrival to move against the Sōgen. So distracted, in fact, that he fails to reply to the Enenra, while the morbidly-named Bohyō family manages to receive the Black Lotus Clan's missive and gift without him ever knowing. Bohyō Shinzō, the family's somewhat cold and contemplative head, gladly accepts their gift of Fruit and offers the Black Lotus clan a gift of 20 Iron in return. As he considers the Imperial Tariff, Shinzō considers that his lord Yasumaru is already courting the Emperor, and sends a gift of 49 Iron to the court to enhance his tariff payment. He sends the following missives:

To the Black Lotus:
A lotus, stem strong
That for all its black petals
Shines with abundance
Beasts forget all unkindness
And recall the generous

To the Emperor
The Wolf stands ever
Watchful, in north or in south
By his master's side
This, heaven's fine decree, that
Righteous subjects revel in

While Ōkinayama does his best to entertain Lady Shikomi — a woman whose boldness and confidence he finds himself at a loss in the ability to deal with properly, resorting mostly to repeated affirmations and vague agreements — Yasumaru arrives at the monasteries of the Enenra in the company of the Imperial Exorcist Fuun Daisuke. While they do little to announce themselves and come seeking only ritual purification, rather than an audience, rumors of the errant Wolf-lord's presence nonetheless ripple through the ranks of the monks.

Personal Writings of Ōkami Yasumaru
I do not wish to admit it, but Fuun Daisuke was right in his reluctance to bring me with him. Though I suppose I performed well enough for an amateur new to hunting oni, I feel nothing but shame for how easily I was tricked by the demon and its illusions. I now know, more than ever, that Fuun-hakase is a trustworthy retainer to the emperor, for he seems to agree. Though we have spoken naught of it, he knows, as I do, how little it matters that I struck the killing blow. In a way, to even say that I did seems to overstate my role in all this — yet to deny it would be a grave dishonor to all involved.

Perhaps, then, there is no escaping this: I will encounter honor conflicts wherever I go, and however I live. It is time for me to return home.

First, though, I must honor my promise to Fuun-hakase. We have arrived at one of the Enenra monasteries, and though we have made no special effort to announce ourselves, I can already hear the monks beginning to talk. It is hard not to wonder what these holy men think of me … and yet such thoughts only distract me from my meditations. I have been too long away from Daishōen, and its warm air seems unfamiliar as I try to empty my mind. Memories swirl about me during the cleansing rituals Fuun-hakase leads me through, and I find myself dwelling on the unnecessary. Would that I thought tomorrow would be easier!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 01:56:08 AM by gkathellar »
Seven is the Number of Legend.
This is my mod voice.

gralamin

• Tactician
  • Minion
  • Sentient Construct
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box Art Aficionado Capricorn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2012, 11:05:35 PM »
The black Lotus accepts the Gift of Iron, and gladly makes the trade to the Serpent clan. (+60 Wood, +20 Iron, -103 fruit)

afroakuma

• Administrator
  • Elite
  • Prayer Wing Scroll of Scribes Problem Solver RoC Staff Art Aficionado Eye of Seeing Aquarius Dev Team
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Week Three
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2012, 12:53:11 AM »
Week Three
Imperial Tariff: 10%
The Wolf Clan is favored by the Emperor.
Orochi Kyoto has been captured by the Enenra Clan, who may now ransom him, execute him or release him in dishonor.
The Emperor is deciding on what Gift to request. The recommendation of the Clan that bids the most Influence will be taken.
All Holdings produce resources:

Spoiler
Black Lotus Clan
Spoiler
}?;H>9;*O-*?F*)O:@EW3*GE1ED).>-<V
14:BEn7J2114-IW57?*>9=DU_UH{J:.DS
"EM7Du';CD&349HFJ4)E).UhTTOk8E<R
}?;;U}4759=UH744;,;KDU_Eu;<.(94*BWl*B(<c
14:BE1ED).>-<UH744;,;WUV_EzOGPDI/.B<DUOr2D<Qe<:.HA3,Ox>8K9&>).U¶
93)O)8DK:25E[eWj4?*V

Boar Clan
Spoiler
1BHW45;<W09<A=0S4E=HF8JW4C1;A7?S
,GAFD$A7=RCJ;8::=<WcbgK|7FFV
1BHJKy&IE59A7KKD7F<>;8Rh[cD)A,=`
,GAFD?G5<<A??S>@=5<Rcj[SvPGH9A7W/C3JM6=RfgKy4F<V

Cherry Grove Clan
Spoiler
-<GN<.H4S438B26N5L@4KL:>@1;=;M
+>ILD0=@7Nd\fN'<>3=2DBS3D>ALK>I?Q7C968B4E\
-<GNG=7=8LicS~K>SAANF2E45?57SuDA=43C=<@ZSD:875Q8A=D>J2ENH57N¶
M67;8LA5SFADFLw0F:>0B1EN5;6NCA:4FL5AC=E\
-<GASr3AA93=8@Q?F<6D72Q_d\Q!=07\
-<GAS4;5HL70F;ENd_QwB3>D9;54S.FN7<GAHZ
+>I?Q7C968B4ENM67;8Lb_cL$HCL3=8Lb_cLt79?D89@Q0B1Q2C;EDA2Q`cL¶
w>C1_

Enenra Clan
Spoiler
-<GH,5=>HC;7H39KO1C9623;T
)8IL:*;9S4.:2@-*8SI8I?Qu4B5C=9?KTD5HO=<2Q,4GHO8:LbXTS'?5867;8a
-?>S53?*S719HBD.)SH8.S2@.2MS#*ABD*._S~;C0:2D~M?=CM
+8:FSu*F:>*38S@;C1G,*GS`XcLr95@9CV
-<G;D!C>*GA7;.9GO9F<6>(9SdXSu@<5=F1==<@V
}CIBHv937D{91-S=D8)I75<S]fHmBG@2F.F24BS178LD*.G9CHe\Qq3GD9;5A;83S¶
:B8ALK8:FS|8B.E=*F=5<a
&A>7S<?586@08SM9.@1QYYcS"BCL37)S7?7GB?.DicOnC<6VDtD@59@Q1&J9O¶
+92@H(CBF.FA7-DHCOnC<6V

Serpent Clan
Spoiler
;HF;1;=H.-<584DG7,K;6?4.F0G
%B<EOj9;48457O5J8+A6,FOUgHm;4;F]
}G>9Kx(E=197+KC9B4:;.:KcVbOjG8+Y
,6HO-9?,KE,F5&J,/17Fs>.E*3Kz<F2&F-9E`
 BE7Wt0B8:G?(CH7>B+H3*WZVKx6B4R
18<>RlBB*K=F<E67E(=<F\bVR'4G-T
%B<EOw@;0:8FCB4<>*1FFcOq97(K_F5E9WB6AR/4F*W/<8?F 139V
 ;H9R84D-0:::RB&A<,KcZbOvQ8F-A+R34F<<98Fg_D}860`
 BE7W/6>6,FO8M/-1EF4O'A=;1EF75+=*;WR(A4DhZ[K&6?4.=;:K498O8D*0:S

;HF;1;=H916,<F*<H(K:09DDG/F\iFxB:A=F2E6@O9@.Fm?(6;D$8;AFFu<&FV

z48F{=5=;0-?Fu?:J=F?J0E<8W@0@;FEE2G;:KG/4DDQ8<>R-BB(=<F/B4@99L.+K¶
4*GCDG/F.E<G11A=@K<5RI4M;F9B:GO7=,,:GF519L5,YR BED@*=1R3BC9WYVK¶
z6A?7e

Tsuchigumo Clan
Spoiler
(1*Q,H=-*D_KS *4X#=-4QEGK.7EXL<.D%>JD.3FXz@*3XLW{83AKW6BDbhe
-8:DX+<;.@>WD;46N;9<DbX%57&_
2GI;Dw:JA5&@=WD;46N;9<DbhW'1*7Ie
-8:DX@C5);G?GH73BK9HUbhW&B4Q:F8H(AGKI6*QjgSn4A=e
{*?3F9S{-;KGIH-3LWH;.GFH<.)QBFS+&FMD9H&@=W;*.@><S.=B>J=.35>eSp*Q¶
A9GH77:;<.)Q%=J.1QjX
-8:Q@9=7DbiW|7+>N=B,*Q:LS,4GKLa

Wolf Clan
Spoiler
}@LW0713P4?<W7;?D94=;A7=H
}@:CV?2<<D9&DV=*H6*5DJFMHf_Dy37CM.D+*P&EV;8K:9^
}@LJH&4&:3DC97:G5C45L;.IGU`TP.@.7<R
*4FIWjE:)67=8F-IG(=&:DW=>-D=.G<KHE.DdTP*G5:1*C8P8F-U-&C3PPG>U]TP¶
l@EG;c
!4F7P$A7;G5C45L;.IGU`TP J8DU
}@:CV@8B,.?,DVQ2;4)PUcfWzO7D235V;8D;:>*PjgH{745R
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 12:59:05 AM by afroakuma »

Lord_Gareth

• Mook
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2012, 01:03:56 AM »
The Lady Shikomi is less than pleased by the news of Lord Kyoto's defeat, and immediately orders all remaining troops back into her Territory in the steppes. Anticipating potential retaliation, she levies forces (100 Ryo) and goes to meet with her host.

"Lord Ōkinayama Shin, please forgive my intrusion," she states with a deep bow. Her voice, while carefully polite, is edged with a rage that is both deep and cold. "I am afraid that my gambit has been temporarily stalled. Blessedly, the bounty of the Serpent Clan's holdings continues to provide us with an abundance of material goods, and we wish to sell some of those goods to you. Have you need of wood, or perhaps the shrine we so recently took? Neither is currently seeing use, and the funds we could raise by such a sale would see use immediately."
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 01:12:30 AM by Lord_Gareth »

afroakuma

• Administrator
  • Elite
  • Prayer Wing Scroll of Scribes Problem Solver RoC Staff Art Aficionado Eye of Seeing Aquarius Dev Team
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2012, 01:08:47 AM »
The Court is stirring as the Emperor prepares to request a Gift from the Great Clans.

Rumors rise and fall of battles won and lost, alliances forged and broken, treaties brokered and signed. Today they relate that the forces of Orochi Kyoto committed acts of wanton brutality during an attack on the Enenra Clan's holdings. The Serpent Clan has been dishonored at court.

gkathellar

• Tactician
  • Global Moderator
  • Ace
  • Scroll of Scribes RoC Staff Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing Dev Team Art Aficionado Magic 8-Ball
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2012, 01:41:34 AM »
"Shikomi-sama," Ōkinayama says in a faltering voice, at first intimidated by the sudden arrival. "I," he ponders, looking at the rage apparent on the Daimyo's face. "The Wolf will gladly purchase the Shrine you have taken, but our own economic straits are little better than yours, and I would be hard-pressed to dip too deeply into our coffers within the limits of my own authority. I can offer you perhaps 40 Ryo, and a further gift of both wheat and iron."
This is my mod voice.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2012, 01:49:23 AM »
Lord Enenra sends a message to Lady Shikomi
Spoiler
Your attack failed, and we have captured Orochi Kyoto. We will return him if you return our Shrine and cease further hostilities.

He also meets with Yasumaru when word reaches him of his arrival
Spoiler
I am sorry you have to arrive in a state of such distress. We will nonetheless be happy to perform the purification rituals.
Feel free to stay and rest as long as you need, and please accept our hospitality.
(He provides Yasunaru with 10 apples)
Spoiler
|LD.1C71=9L?BDHF?8D@Q=4SAIH:.D6R
|S8*J2Q<95B42B4Q8789B<S@G,-SH8*HL;/D|S16S.F=&7?5-_LzH<=@<H¶
=:?.)=5D.@FQ;*@91<9L?BD75@=I?7-DG5=>F.;H.BS42G5A74Fa
He also shores up his defenses, turning the cliffs into a fortress
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 01:03:36 AM by Mystify »
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

gkathellar

• Tactician
  • Global Moderator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2012, 02:27:33 AM »
While in the monastery, Yasumaru hears rumors of his clan's dealings to the north, and resolves he must return home as soon a he is done. After speaking with the Imperial Exorcist, composes a letter to the Emperor apologizing for his absence and begging for forgiveness. An ear to the ground is a valuable thing, and Yasumaru suggests that he must see to his clan's fortunes, which dwindle in his absence, though what little he has heard of the Wolf's coming wheat crop seems promising.

In a later meeting, the young lord bows his head slightly as Enenra-sama makes his appearance, and listens intently. "You have my utmost gratitude for your aid, though I am sure you tire of hearing such things from so many. I shall see your courtesy reciprocated upon my return to the north — all the more reason to hasten it when I have completed my meditations here."
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 11:32:47 PM by gkathellar »
This is my mod voice.

Djtooth

• Rogue
  • Elite
  • Tourist wielding a Pez dispenser that holds kunai.
  • Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2012, 08:23:02 AM »
If registration is still open.

the Jubokko Clan who specialize in the magical school of Transmution.
The leader Kazue Ike is a powerful Sorcerer.
The Samurai Akina Mizu is a master Fortification tactician.
The clan resides in the ancient weathered Shrines built by the Al-mi'raj ancestors long ago located in the fertile valleys.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 02:04:32 PM by Djtooth »
Two dictionaries and a chicken were playing tag one day, they are joined by a tree and some marshmallows.

Lord_Gareth

• Mook
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2012, 10:31:55 AM »
Lady Shikomi is meditating over the Wolf Clan's offer when the message from Lord Enenra arrives. A slight, annoyed tension crosses her face upon reading the message, but she composes herself quickly and reaches for ink and brush to compose a reply.

To Enenra
Lord Enenra,

The reports of my servant's conduct during the siege of your lands disturbs me greatly. Permit me time to contemplate if I even wish the treacherous cur back in my service before I accept or deny your offer. I trust, of course, that he will be treated according to his station during  his absence. I am certain your clan does not wish to dance upon the Emperor's fragile favor.

Lady Shikomi, Daimyo of the Serpent Clan.

She informs her host that a recent development has tabled any transaction they might make, though she does have an interest in the Wolf Clan's iron resources. It is implied that she might wish to trade some of the Serpent's abundant Wood for the resource.

afroakuma

• Administrator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2012, 11:05:22 AM »
Rules for the disposition of captured Samurai added to first post.

gkathellar

• Tactician
  • Global Moderator
  • Ace
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2012, 01:11:41 PM »
A call sounds throughout the Wolf Clan's holdings for troops — and all at once, the clan is in motion, as if their hard times have finally come to an end. Yet with that conflicts that have arisen under Ōkinayama's leadership, the families of the Wolf answer as one, arming their best soldiers for war and recruiting and recruiting ashigaru and mercenaries from all across their shōen, all arriving within days of the call. All but the Sōgen family, that is, which rumor says is caught in fierce debate on Ōkinayama's right to call for troops. Nonetheless, Bohyō Shinzō suggests a public celebration, and a great sacrifice to both the Emperor and to Heaven for the renewal of the Wolf — sending another gift of iron to the emperor in the process.

Then, on the sixth day, Sōgen irregulars are seen from the gates of Ōkami Fortress. They outnumber the force sent by any family thus far, and travel in front of great wagons, loaded with an early crop of this year's abundant harvest. The middle daughter of the family, Sōgen Akarui, leads them in full armor, and over her shoulder she carries a great red banner with the black character 狼 — Ōkami — flying for all to see. She refuses to even speak with Ōkinayama, but her men bring their crop to the festival fires, and offer their abundance of wheat alongside other foodstuffs in sacrifice to the gods.

Spoiler
U`fWzO7DE4PC=?OG9C4@GKV

-),67:E?HmWDv4@;WPjWD@+P@LH-0*29\VjXU<-6DC<E*?6.?,P$A<9UDv4@;WqU¶
;927E<<HE=9P<:K@QU.4CDxFF8HU

jF7E?=;C776PP W-?:*49P8W0?.9P47VmXUp7@3PKGHJ0*Pi>G=;E:R

Personal Writings of Ōkami Yasumaru
Though my meditations and the rituals of purification are completed, I feel compelled by both courtesy and curiosity to remain with the monks for a few days longer, or at least until I can announce my departure formally to Enenra-sama. Fuun-hakase has gone on his way back to the capital, seemingly satisfied that I am as clean of evil influences as it is appropriate for a lord to be. For my part, I have been enraptured in consultation with the monks on worldly affairs — which strikes me as by far the most ironic thing I have experienced on all my travels — and in the great monastic libraries.

Though they are secretive about it, not all of the monks are so unreadable as Enenra-sama seemed during our brief encounter. I believe that the Enenra have not only won a great battle, but also taken a prisoner of some importance, and I have heard news of visiting messengers from the Tsuchigumo Clan. No doubt I am being kept deliberately ill-informed, and I will know far more upon the moment I set forth. Yet even as the thought of failing to return terrifies me, so too does the thought of a return, for all of my resolve. I begin to wonder if my dread is even real, or if it is a phantom, come over me in my years of wandering and now with its hands around my throat.

Perhaps I am not as pure as Fuun-hakase believed. I will wait only until courtesy no longer demands I stay, and during that wait, I will undertake both hard training and further meditations. When I can wait on Enenra-sama no longer, I will borrow a horse from the monks and set forth to become the Wolf I was born to be.
This is my mod voice.