Author Topic: A New Way Forward  (Read 7326 times)

Geigan

• Team Awesome
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Dev Team Magic 8-Ball Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: A New Way Forward
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2012, 05:07:56 AM »
No objections, and I believe if objections do crop up they will be listened to if they are legitimate problems anyway. At which point we will all be discussing forum moderation policy again(hopefully not). ;)

afroakuma

• Administrator
  • Elite
  • Prayer Wing Scroll of Scribes Problem Solver RoC Staff Art Aficionado Eye of Seeing Aquarius Dev Team
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2012, 10:31:58 PM »
After thorough consultation, I feel obliged to let you know in advance: we're not going to be signing warnings.

KyleJ

• Paladin
  • Elite
  • Maker of Cool Stuff
  • Typo Hammer Eye of Seeing Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2012, 11:01:35 PM »
Is that because it's too difficult to implement, or something else?
Remember, the rules exist to facilitate the game, not the other way around.

Alternative OFFICIAL Character Sheet
GM Screen (OUTDATED)
Quickstart Sheet
Mook Quicksheets

IF YOU WANT ME TO SEE SOMETHING QUICKLY, PM ME. I don't check this forum regularly.

afroakuma

• Administrator
  • Elite
  • Prayer Wing Scroll of Scribes Problem Solver RoC Staff Art Aficionado Eye of Seeing Aquarius Dev Team
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2012, 12:24:47 AM »
After consulting with people previously and currently involved in forum moderation, we've determined that there is little value to having signed warnings and a lot of room for abuses and hassles.

ShneekeyTheLost

• Minion
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2012, 05:12:48 PM »
After consulting with people previously and currently involved in forum moderation, we've determined that there is little value to having signed warnings and a lot of room for abuses and hassles.
Will internal records be kept? Lack of accountability is one of my big problems with moderation on GITP. I want, if not the average user, then at least someone to be able to go back into the records and see patterns of use/abuse of moderator authority.

afroakuma

• Administrator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2012, 07:46:38 PM »
We'll keep tags on things, I assure you.

People have told us what ID'd warnings can result in, though, and the short, dramatic version is: "chaos." The longer version including more of what Yoder recently did. Mods from much larger and more established forums that have tried lots of different methods have been advising myself and the moderators on what's worked and what hasn't, and we've been taking that into consideration.

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2012, 08:00:50 PM »
I'd say that's misrepresenting things a bit...
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

afroakuma

• Administrator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2012, 09:02:48 PM »
Yes, I know you would, but I allocated a rather generous amount of patience to letting you have your say, as did other people. Do you want me to delete your thread, or do you want it to remain in place?

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2012, 09:07:59 PM »
There's no reason to be rude about it. My grievances being heard is generosity?
When did I ever say I wanted that thread deleted (I can delete it myself anyway, being the topic creator)?

Equating my actions with chaos is not appropriate.
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

afroakuma

• Administrator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2012, 09:43:18 PM »
Enough, Yoder.

gkathellar

• Tactician
  • Global Moderator
  • Ace
  • My right hand was thunder, and my left was stone
  • Scroll of Scribes RoC Staff Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing Dev Team Art Aficionado Magic 8-Ball
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2012, 09:59:50 PM »
As afroakuma states, we will have records, both of moderation actions and of deleted posts.

An important thing to understand about signed warned posts is that they dramatically oversimplify the way that we tend to confer before taking real action, and imply that the moderation staff does not act as a unified body. We do, and communicate with each other constantly on moderation decisions.
Seven is the Number of Legend.
This is my mod voice.

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2012, 10:01:40 PM »
As afroakuma states, we will have records, both of moderation actions and of deleted posts.

An important thing to understand about signed warned posts is that they dramatically oversimplify the way that we tend to confer before taking real action, and imply that the moderation staff does not act as a unified body. We do, and communicate with each other constantly on moderation decisions.

Thank you for the explanation. That makes sense.
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

afroakuma

• Administrator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2012, 10:07:38 PM »
The New Way Forward has officially been implemented in the Forum Rules. The Tribunal thread has been removed.

ShneekeyTheLost

• Minion
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2012, 01:03:15 AM »

Now that, I can get behind. Much harder to play Tin God when you are a part of a team. Also makes it a lot harder for an individual mod to go 'Mustang'.

Sounds like you guys have a solid plan for an unpleasant necessity.

afroakuma

• Administrator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2012, 01:09:11 AM »
Now that, I can get behind. Much harder to play Tin God when you are a part of a team. Also makes it a lot harder for an individual mod to go 'Mustang'.

Sounds like you guys have a solid plan for an unpleasant necessity.

I keep the moderators in check, they keep each other in check, and they keep me in check. I also keep myself in check - no bans in seven months except spambots, despite at least one person really earning it a few months back.

And yes, plans are in place for the possibility of suspensions and bans. They're very hard to earn, and they both take serious consideration, but it's still very possible.

To be frank, I'd release more specific details of how we're doing things if we weren't doing things in such a lenient fashion. The way I've set up the system, it would become very easy to game if people understood how, and that's something I really don't want to see happen. It would undermine all efforts and justifications for greater transparency and leniency. Perfect? No. Proactive? Yes.