Author Topic: Homebrew Index on D&D Wiki  (Read 13685 times)

afroakuma

• Administrator
  • Elite
  • Prayer Wing Scroll of Scribes Problem Solver RoC Staff Art Aficionado Eye of Seeing Aquarius Dev Team
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Homebrew Index on D&D Wiki
« on: October 12, 2012, 01:14:03 PM »
The D&D Wiki is now accepting Legend content submissions. If you're interested in storing, organizing and indexing your Legend homebrew to share alongside that of others, you may want to consider this resource, as sorting through threads on a board can be a little overwhelming.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 08:25:19 AM by gkathellar »

Ghostwheel

• Mook
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Homebrew Index on D&D Wiki
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 01:20:01 PM »
While we're eager to accept homebrew, we're not quite ready. Over the next few days we'll be creating categories and templates for Legend homebrew, so please bear with us and I'll let you all know when we're ready for the big opening! :-D

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 06:41:34 PM »
Note that this reply is partially in response to the original locked topic:
Legend does not prescribe to the balance "levels" the wiki goes by (aka: something is either balanced or it's not), and I think the strictness of the wiki's balance guidelines (and who even determines what's balanced?) would cause problems in the long run. I'm not saying it shouldn't be used, but I just don't think it fits Legend as well as you might wish it did. I side w/ Afro in being wary of making it "official."

As a side note, some people can't access that website, and off-site linking of homebrew has already proved problematic for multiple forum members. For that matter, organization is why we have the Legend Homebrew Signature thread.
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 06:45:44 PM »
The signature thread only really helps you find content based on author. I wouldn't call it an organization scheme
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
  • I love foxes, can you tell?
  • Eye of Seeing Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 07:10:48 PM »
I just wanna start by saying this isn't a bad idea, however I personally am not gunna go for it.

I'm moderatly familiar with the way that wiki is laid out as when I was into 3.5 I did ALOT of home brew my self, and tended to look around for what other people consider 'balanced'. That being said I personally have little to no interest in putting my stuff on there for a few reasons (this is going to referance the orginal post as well so sorry in advance if some of this seems a little random.)

1: The content isn't inherently tied to my user name. I know this sounds a little selfish but when I make a track I want it to be well known that that I'm the one who made them. It's some thing that, yes I have done for fun, but I don't really plan on being any sort of official out side of my own game (and even then I limit which of my tracks players can choose, if you look at some of my stuff you'll see why).

2: It fixes some thing that I don't view as being broken. The truth is that is a wonderful idea, and it might be a little bit bigger in the future, namely when we go live. That being said the signatures have been working fine, it's been a nice repository of all all work so you can skim over the name, plus it keeps them organized neatly according to user and then the user sorts according to his preference. 

3: The site it's self has some rules and things that I don't really agree with. Namly their whole idea of balance system, but I'll get to that in a minute.
This in particular bothers me
Inappropriately Balanced Homebrew Articles
Occasionally an article will not specify a balance point, will specify a balance point that doesn't follow our balance guidelines, or it will fail to meet the balance point that it set out to. Any of these three conditions need to be discussed on the article's talk page before any changes are made, and making a change to the article's balance rating without the author's consent should not be the first action taken.

For an author facing one of these issues, there are several ways to resolve them.

The easiest way is to simply specify a balance level that more accurately represents the article.
    In cases where an article failed to meet an intended balance point, you should generally improve or detract from the features of the article until it meets the intended balance point.

Again, the decision to make either of these changes, or none at all, generally lies with the author. Suggestions to help them achieve one or the other belong on the article's talk page.
I'm just not a fan of big brother having that much control over my content, again even if you look at some of my Home Brew (small as it may be currently) I don't always like to make things in the traditional 'sense'. So their points wont work for every case so I don't like big brother coming and telling me that I can't do that.

4: The balance ideals of the site it's self. This is going to sound extremely hypocritical, however I do not like the 'balance' levels of the site. Honestly their is only one constant, balance. This balance is the golden fleece, the holy greal, the magic panacea. It's some that we are all striving for and it's not some thing that should be classified as High, Low and so forth the word balance just shouldn't be their because they are not balanced. This is not to say that you can't make a track for fun that is OP, heck I do that all the time, but encouraging the use of OP tracks by adding the words 'high balance' is very misleading and I think a mistake.

5: Lack of access. This is a problem that we have been having for some time any ways. The fact that a few members have trouble getting to off site material so counting on access to another site is a luxury that not every one can enjoy and that should be kept in mind.

In conclusion: I'm not saying that this is a bad thing, or horrid idea. I'm just trying to point out some major problems I have with the idealism of the host site, and some problems with hosting your material on there. If you want to do it I can stop you nor would I, I'm just saying that for the sake of others please keep publishing your stuff on this site too it's common courtesy IMHO... but do what your gunna do I say.
"The mark of a immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one. "
~ Wilhelm Stekel

"I thought I'd pretend I was one of those blind deaf-mutes."
~ Catcher in the Rye, J. D. Salinger

"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power."
~ Julius Cesar, William Shakespeare

My Moonshine

Ghostwheel

• Mook
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 04:28:07 AM »
Note that this reply is partially in response to the original locked topic:
Legend does not prescribe to the balance "levels" the wiki goes by (aka: something is either balanced or it's not), and I think the strictness of the wiki's balance guidelines (and who even determines what's balanced?) would cause problems in the long run. I'm not saying it shouldn't be used, but I just don't think it fits Legend as well as you might wish it did. I side w/ Afro in being wary of making it "official."

Legend in general is High level content--but that doesn't matter, since all of Legend is balanced around the same level and thus the balance code doesn't apply to it. You won't need to add a balance level for Legend material, so it's mostly a non-issue. On a side note, it's not hard to tell what the balance level of something is, and people easily come to a consensus on 95% of the material.

For that matter, organization is why we have the Legend Homebrew Signature thread.

What Mystify said.

1: The content isn't inherently tied to my user name. I know this sounds a little selfish but when I make a track I want it to be well known that that I'm the one who made them.

Actually, that's true of dandwiki.com, a site with no quality control and an administrator that is often either not there, or laying down the law in accordance to his whim rather than community discussion. The latter is the precise reason we split off quite a while ago. Everything retains your name through the author template, and as I mentioned in the original post, you retain all rights to edit/delete your material as you see fit.

2: It fixes some thing that I don't view as being broken. The truth is that is a wonderful idea, and it might be a little bit bigger in the future, namely when we go live. That being said the signatures have been working fine, it's been a nice repository of all all work so you can skim over the name, plus it keeps them organized neatly according to user and then the user sorts according to his preference. 

Again, the signature way things have been going only allow you to see a single user's homebrew, rather than having a list. And you can easily use the Ask command to list any one person's homebrew, as well as have users have their own specialized NavBox that automatically adds all their new articles without having to make any manual changes.

3: The site it's self has some rules and things that I don't really agree with. Namly their whole idea of balance system, but I'll get to that in a minute.
This in particular bothers me
Inappropriately Balanced Homebrew Articles
Occasionally an article will not specify a balance point, will specify a balance point that doesn't follow our balance guidelines, or it will fail to meet the balance point that it set out to. Any of these three conditions need to be discussed on the article's talk page before any changes are made, and making a change to the article's balance rating without the author's consent should not be the first action taken.

For an author facing one of these issues, there are several ways to resolve them.

The easiest way is to simply specify a balance level that more accurately represents the article.
    In cases where an article failed to meet an intended balance point, you should generally improve or detract from the features of the article until it meets the intended balance point.

Again, the decision to make either of these changes, or none at all, generally lies with the author. Suggestions to help them achieve one or the other belong on the article's talk page.
I'm just not a fan of big brother having that much control over my content, again even if you look at some of my Home Brew (small as it may be currently) I don't always like to make things in the traditional 'sense'. So their points wont work for every case so I don't like big brother coming and telling me that I can't do that.

Again--the balance stuff applies to 3.5, and not to Legend since everything is balanced around the same point rather than the hodge-podge mess that was 3.5 where monks and fighters and paladins played alongside god-wizards, sorcerers, psions, and clerics.

4: The balance ideals of the site it's self. This is going to sound extremely hypocritical, however I do not like the 'balance' levels of the site. Honestly their is only one constant, balance. This balance is the golden fleece, the holy greal, the magic panacea. It's some that we are all striving for and it's not some thing that should be classified as High, Low and so forth the word balance just shouldn't be their because they are not balanced. This is not to say that you can't make a track for fun that is OP, heck I do that all the time, but encouraging the use of OP tracks by adding the words 'high balance' is very misleading and I think a mistake.

Again--it doesn't really apply to Legend, since for the most part, all the material is based around the range. You won't find the ability to blind multiple foes at 3rd level with no way to remove or get around it alongside the guy who swings his sword for 1d8+3 damage, so it isn't really an issue.

5: Lack of access. This is a problem that we have been having for some time any ways. The fact that a few members have trouble getting to off site material so counting on access to another site is a luxury that not every one can enjoy and that should be kept in mind.

I've never actually heard of anyone who's had problems accessing the site... has anyone had this problem, at a location where they were able to access this message board?

In conclusion: I'm not saying that this is a bad thing, or horrid idea. I'm just trying to point out some major problems I have with the idealism of the host site, and some problems with hosting your material on there. If you want to do it I can stop you nor would I, I'm just saying that for the sake of others please keep publishing your stuff on this site too it's common courtesy IMHO... but do what your gunna do I say.

Thanks for raising your concerns :-) I hope I've addressed them well, and dispelled most of your fears :-)

Ghostwheel

• Mook
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 04:30:44 AM »
Wanted to let you all know that we've set up the wiki, and it's ready to receive new material! :-D

You can find the main Nav page here, and to add content all you need to do is to navigate to the right place for what you're adding, click on the "Add your own..." link, and fill it out in the appropriate place.

Please let me know if you have any trouble--I'll be more than happy to help out :-)

I'd be happy to start the transfer of a few people's content to the wiki to flesh out some of the categories so we have actual homebrew on there, as well as a guide for anyone else who wants to add homebrew as well. Any takers?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 04:48:07 AM by Ghostwheel »

Tenno Seremel

• Shaman
  • Elite
  • Destiny is chain for the weak.
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 05:14:37 AM »
Hmm… what's "status" in author block?

Ghostwheel

• Mook
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 05:49:48 AM »
The status of whatever you're creating. Examples include "incomplete", "almost finished", "just started", and so on.

Thanks for being the first contributor for Legend homebrew on the wiki :-D
Did you find the format hard to use at all?

Tenno Seremel

• Shaman
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 06:15:45 AM »
Well, I think the format is fine :) Although I had doubts whether I should capitalize first letters in benefit/prerequisites/etc. (because that text goes after ":") and whether I should end prerequisites with dot or not (since it became included in the search link at the bottom I guessed I didn't need it there).

Ghostwheel

• Mook
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 06:24:47 AM »
No period after prerequisites, yes to capitalization--but don't worry about your first one, I fixed that already ;-)

Tenno Seremel

• Shaman
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 06:29:21 AM »
No period after prerequisites, yes to capitalization--but don't worry about your first one, I fixed that already ;-)
Yeah, thanks, I've seen that just now :)

EDIT: BTW,
To make a new page for your own feat, simply replace "MyFeat" in the field below. Please leave the " (3.5e Feat)"

EDIT 2: Add New Legend Track template(?) should be modified. It looks like a class, which track is not (even though it can grant good bab, for example).
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 07:07:45 AM by Tenno Seremel »

Ghostwheel

• Mook
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 08:21:56 AM »
Whoops, thanks for catching those. I've fixed them both--the track preload accidentally pointed to creating a new class, which it shouldn't have. Now it should link to a track, which consists just of a description and the 7 circles that you get from the track (and you can add anything else you want, as is common in many of the additional tracks).

Thanks for the help!

Tenno Seremel

• Shaman
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 09:55:21 AM »
http://www.dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Legend_Items
Legend items don't have a cost. Template itself does not seem to mention it, maybe it's just summary. Maybe tier should be there instead.

SU, EX, Strength, etc. link to 3.5 SRD. Whether it is fine or not I have no idea.

Kitsune_Kinomi

• Ranger
  • Elite
  • I love foxes, can you tell?
  • Eye of Seeing Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 09:59:58 AM »
Just to clarify in response to my earlier post,
Well most of my idea's do not applie to legend that does not change the fact that I do not want my content moved to that site. Well I appricate what your doing as I've expressed before I have very little interest in getting my stuff offical so I have very littel interest in keeping my stuff off site.
So please do not mess with my content with out my permission
(note this is refearing to Ghostwheel making metion of him moving things over there)
"The mark of a immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one. "
~ Wilhelm Stekel

"I thought I'd pretend I was one of those blind deaf-mutes."
~ Catcher in the Rye, J. D. Salinger

"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power."
~ Julius Cesar, William Shakespeare

My Moonshine