Author Topic: Request a Legend Homebrew  (Read 24870 times)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Request a Legend Homebrew
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2013, 09:52:02 AM »
C5:
I had been using Into the Breach as a benchmark and had initially misunderstood 'single attack action'.
Reworded this to make it more similar, so it's now just simply an Iconic version of that same effect that can be used for less effort, every couple Rounds.
As I said earlier, extra attack actions is a big no-no
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

loganic

• Monk
  • Elite
  • Problem Solver Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2013, 05:23:21 PM »
Oops had wrong item commented
Alright mystify you're right the concept is neat, but not really feasible, just struck it out

As for C5, going to try looking at that, but I thought it would be useful to have a game, because the mechanics for a racing game would be useful for a tracking/hunting game also.

SilvasRuin

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2013, 08:50:42 AM »
R6:
I like the concept of power invoked through the language of creation, etc. however Legend's current incarnation of Runesong Scholar and the Words of Power feat both feel very limiting, both in mechanics and fluff. It seems like a daunting task to me, though perhaps this is due to not having the right perspective on how to go about it, but I would love to see a reasonable recreation of Pathfinder's Wordcaster concept: http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateMagic/ultimateMagicWordsOfPower.html
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 08:52:23 AM by SilvasRuin »

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2013, 02:02:30 PM »
C6: The Runesong Scholar was made to respresent the concept of True-Naming, not the more broad domain of Words of Power.

A system like PF's Wordcaster (a very interesting read, btw), is not currently in Legend mechanically. There is supposed to be a magic supplement coming out later (sometime after Monster Guide, I assume) that may have something more in the vein you're thinking.

As for modeling the fluff of PF's Wordcaster, Chirurgic Poet and the Sage's tracks can be thmeatically appropriate when combined w/ the Runesong Scholar. The 2 standard spellcasting tracks (especially when taken together) give enough variety that you may be able to fluff it as the Wordcaster concept.

Finally, there has been some Homebrew on this forum that has emphasized a more modular approach or addition to casting spells, though most of need to be updated in light of Legend 1.0.

As for making Homebrew for the Wordcaster, I don't have the time, but someone else may jump on the idea.
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Sodalite

• Mook
  • 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21...
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2013, 10:40:07 PM »
R7: I would like to request a track representing the powers thematically present with becoming a star, specifically the fusion-reactor kind. I would hope to see a number of defensive abilities, such as being harmfully hot to the touch or emitting subtly harmful levels of radiation, and I would be exceptionally pleased if the final circle of track involved one of the forms a super-giant star's remnant can take, such a large mass of diamond, or a black hole. A mere, and only slight suggestion, should the final circle be related to a black hole, I believe the name Schwarzekind may have interesting sound to it, but I would be unsurprising and not unhappy if that name were not used.

This request may bear a resemblance to my own attempts several months to more than a year ago, which is indeed the case, since I feel my own attempt on the matter was a horrible failure, and do not feel I would be able to do a significantly better job now.

Thank you for your consideration, and if applicable, your response to this request.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2013, 02:10:19 AM »
R7: I would like to request a track representing the powers thematically present with becoming a star, specifically the fusion-reactor kind. I would hope to see a number of defensive abilities, such as being harmfully hot to the touch or emitting subtly harmful levels of radiation, and I would be exceptionally pleased if the final circle of track involved one of the forms a super-giant star's remnant can take, such a large mass of diamond, or a black hole. A mere, and only slight suggestion, should the final circle be related to a black hole, I believe the name Schwarzekind may have interesting sound to it, but I would be unsurprising and not unhappy if that name were not used.

This request may bear a resemblance to my own attempts several months to more than a year ago, which is indeed the case, since I feel my own attempt on the matter was a horrible failure, and do not feel I would be able to do a significantly better job now.

Thank you for your consideration, and if applicable, your response to this request.
Is this the type of thing you were thinking of?
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1G8RKmBi9OqZtDh-KEnPXaR_C48IvxooEsxx4Jl-q5Vc/edit?usp=sharing

Other than that, I think fire elemental/celestial does a good job of that concept.

Sorlin

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2013, 07:52:01 AM »
Are there rules that can be used to differentiate the usage of two-handed weapon, two weapon? Because for now i see no reason to not use a shield. (maybe two handed have 1 more weapon properties?)

Sodalite

• Mook
  • 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21...
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2013, 08:00:41 AM »
Is this the type of thing you were thinking of?
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1G8RKmBi9OqZtDh-KEnPXaR_C48IvxooEsxx4Jl-q5Vc/edit?usp=sharing

Other than that, I think fire elemental/celestial does a good job of that concept.

Yes, that's basically exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Timeless Error

• Ranger
  • Elite
  • Emerald Knight
  • Typo Hammer Dev Team Problem Solver Eye of Seeing Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2013, 08:05:45 AM »
Are there rules that can be used to differentiate the usage of two-handed weapon, two weapon? Because for now i see no reason to not use a shield. (maybe two handed have 1 more weapon properties?)
There's no such thing as handedness in Legend.  You can fluff the weapon you're wielding as a two-handed weapon, two weapons, a weapon and a shield, or anything else, really.  As for reasons not to use a shield, since there are no mundane shields in Legend (they've been replaced by the [Guardian] weapon property), any shield you would use occupies a magic item slot.
Thanks to Aruius on GitP for creating my excellent avatar!

This space is dedicated to Nezzy, the noblest Roden of them all.  May he rest in peace and be undisturbed by toxic chemicals.

My Homebrew

--Timeless Error, Emerald Knight

Alexandra Moldovia

• Mook
  • Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2013, 07:00:25 PM »
Hello, new player here, and I was curious if someone could help me with a character concept, or two so!  Onto the Requests:

R8

Something to do with a Blood magic Track, character's a Vampire, so, being able using blood hers and others to do effects would be nice

R9

Being a Damned Old Bat, this vampire has developed an Impressive control over all forms of Nature, from the Seas, to the skys to the earth itself...perhaps some kind of geomancy track?

R10

Now, completely leaving behind the Mistress of the Night... anyone ever thought of an FF11 style Summoner?  Where you summon companions and they stay with you till you Desummon them?

Anyway, thanks for any help, and hope to hear from you soon!!

afroakuma

• Administrator
  • Elite
  • Prayer Wing Scroll of Scribes Problem Solver RoC Staff Art Aficionado Eye of Seeing Aquarius Dev Team
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2013, 07:42:13 PM »
Welcome to the boards!

C8
Vampire track and feats should be able to emulate that. Can also use the "drink" feats and run with a blood theme.

C9
The Primordial track from this post might be what you need.

C10
For issues of balance, Legend doesn't really support summoning. If you're playing a Legendary character, the Minions ability lets you do this though.

DragoonWraith

• Sage
  • Global Moderator
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Dev Team Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • DragoonWraith.com
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2013, 08:33:57 PM »
C6: Pathfinder's Words of Power mechanics are extremely broken, as are the similar mechanics found in the Epic Level Handbook and Unearthed Arcana. It wasn't for Legend, but I know one of Legend's lead developers spent months working on such a system – which became massively, laughably complex – and it was still trivial to break. It is my opinion, and I believe this is an opinion shared by most if not all of the Legend development team, that such a mechanic is literally mathematically impossible to create such that it is both compellingly unrestricted and even remotely balanced.

I say this not to yell at you (I really don't use bold for yelling, just for emphasis) or tell you it's a bad idea: it's an awesome concept. I'm just telling you that I can basically guarantee that no one will ever be able to produce such mechanics that would fit well within Legend.
Legend contributions: As Above, So Below (rewrite); Reap the Whirlwind, A Personal Touch, Kept Secret, Kept Safe (Professional Soldier); Combat Alchemist (extra track)

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2013, 08:53:20 PM »
C6: If several video games have been able to make modular spellcasting a reality (most in terms I could easily explain), I don't think "mathematically impossible" is the correct term to use here. And saying the math video games do is too complex won't cut it, b/c I know some of them are doing relatively simple calculations w/ whole numbers. Not to mention, how compelling something is is hard to quantify, being a qualitative attribute.
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2013, 09:11:08 PM »
C6: If several video games have been able to make modular spellcasting a reality (most in terms I could easily explain), I don't think "mathematically impossible" is the correct term to use here. And saying the math video games do is too complex won't cut it, b/c I know some of them are doing relatively simple calculations w/ whole numbers. Not to mention, how compelling something is is hard to quantify, being a qualitative attribute.
He didn't say it couldn't be done, he said that it couldn't be balanced and fit within legend. I've designed games like that myself, and I wouldn't even think of trying to get it to fit with legend.

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2013, 09:49:41 PM »
C6: I was implying in a balanced manner. Why would I mention if it it couldn't be balanced? If it can't be done in Legend, then Legend has the problem (similar to Legend being unable to handle summoners).
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew