Author Topic: Tips on how to avoid losing your work  (Read 2595 times)

Libertad

• Ace
  • "Remember, remember, the 5th of November."
  • Problem Solver
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Tips on how to avoid losing your work
« on: January 03, 2013, 03:48:55 PM »
One hacker/spam attack is a tragedy.  Two is too many.  Whether Blue Host has crappy Internet security, or some [expleted deleted] has a personal vendetta against the Char Ops community, doesn't change the results: the Min-Max Boards cannot be accessed except through Google Cache, and some work might get lost despite our best retrieval attempts.

I decided to create this topic for people so that they might avoid future loss of Handbooks and Homebrew.

The Boards Are Not Your Safety Vault: Do not rely on Internet Message Boards to save your work for years on end.  Things happen, old sites get lost, posts get deleted, servers change.  There's no guarantee that 5 to 10 years from now your work will be easily accessible or still there.

Save Your Stuff: I save my rough drafts of my work on my computer in Word Documents, and sometimes copy-paste the work of others as well.  In the off-chance of a hard drive crash, I regularly transfer my favorite works onto a disc.  This way, I effectively have three copies of the stuff.  One on a message board, another on my hard drive, and a third on my disc.  If one of these gets compromised, I can pull it out from one of the other two.

Edit: Cloud storage spaces are also an increasingly popular way to save your work.  Basically they are online memory banks which allow you to store and work on uploaded documents.  Google Drive and One Drive are clouds I both use.

Spread It! Sometimes I post my stuff elsewhere.  My Planar Revision Project is on the defunct Min-Max Boards, Giant In The Playground, The RPG Site, and The Gaming Den.  Same for my Alignment Throughout the Ages article.  I primarily did not do this as "backup plans," but to cast a wide net and show my work to anybody who might be interested.  It's also useful because having your work on other boards makes it easier to retrieve.

Google Cache: As Prime32 discussed in this thread, you can use Google Cache to find old webpages of your work.  If you don't know the URL, Google Search with relevant keywords, and click on the >> arrows to the right of results.  There should be a blue "cached" option available to access the page.

If you have any tips of your own, feel free to share!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 01:46:22 PM by Libertad »

RedWarlock

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Tips on how to avoid losing your work
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 04:27:09 PM »
My best advice is to use backup systems like Dropbox and Google Drive. I keep all my gaming material on google drive, since google docs saves to there, and don't even consume any drive space (only uploaded files do). This means I can get to it anywhere, work or home, in full word-like or excel-like formats.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Minion
  • Another Forum culled eh?
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 10:12:35 PM »
Its not my work that is difficult to save. Its others. I've been on a rather ambitious, related project for a while now: conglomerating all useful CO information.

PM me if you want to sign up. I have tons of good stuff to copy lined up.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 10:26:06 PM by PlzBreakMyCampaign »

nijineko

• Mook
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 11:35:44 PM »
here is my collection of downloaded threads. some from bg, some from mmb, some from pnpg, enworld, wizcom and so on. can't guarantee the most recent versions, but it is something. hope it is helpful to some.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kv1yymh9v0jhbp6/Nijineko_WizCom_BG_PnPG_MMB_Boards_good_finds.zip

note of warning: file is about 94.4mb in size. zipped collection of html and a few other formats thrown in there too.

as a side note, "the archive" is there too. (https://www.dropbox.com/s/bmlzmuh5ogjyg1y/nijineko3xArchivePlus_v1-3.7z) it's about 2.2gb even 7z-ed.
Arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?

Libertad

• Ace
  • "Remember, remember, the 5th of November."
  • Problem Solver
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 01:46:55 PM »
Thread necromancy, but I came back to mention that cloud storage spaces are great for this kind of stuff.