Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: Temporary Edition  (Read 24501 times)

afroakuma

• Administrator
  • Elite
  • Prayer Wing Scroll of Scribes Problem Solver RoC Staff Art Aficionado Aquarius Eye of Seeing Dev Team
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Ask a Simple Question: Temporary Edition
« Reply #120 on: January 27, 2013, 09:36:22 PM »
Should have stickied this long ago.

BruceLeeroy

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #121 on: January 28, 2013, 02:59:33 AM »
A35: One cheap way is martial discipline weapons. A +1 bonus, provides a +3 enhancement while in a martial stance associated with the weapon.

But as far as something on the same scale as True Strike shenanigans, well... no. Wraithstrike, I guess? Wraithstrike + Greater invisiblility?

Oh, wait! Lady's Gambit. Feat. Dragon something. Sacrifice HP in exchange for bonuses on attack and damage. Something like 2HP/+1 attack and damage. Maxes out at 10 HP/ +5 attack and damage per round, i think. Not really True Strike level, but significant if you have regen or ridiculous HP for whatever reason.

And of course Law Devotion.

So, not really on that level of cheese, but still some substantial bonuses that are fairly cheap. Compared to, say, weapon focus, they're a steal.

Ithamar

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #122 on: January 28, 2013, 12:10:00 PM »
As an add on, combine Lady's Gambit with Stone Power feat from ToB.  Use Stone Power for -5 to attack for +10 temporary HP.  Then you burn those 10 HP for Lady's Gambit for +5 to hit and damage.  So now for the low, low cost of 2 feats, you get +5 damage pretty much all the time.  Hooray?  ::)
Arena of Ascension - Still running strong after nearly 4 years!

BruceLeeroy

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #123 on: January 28, 2013, 01:04:36 PM »
And it's still better than Weapon Spec and Greater Weapon Spec.

Captnq

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #124 on: January 28, 2013, 02:26:30 PM »
Q36: Can one enchant a throw splash weapon? Is it a thrown weapon? Ammunition? Does it fall under any weapon? Or only enchantments that can go on both ammunition AND weapons? Are you allowed to enchant them at all?

kevin_video

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #125 on: February 04, 2013, 02:42:30 AM »
Got a wizard character that wants to go all item creation because I'm allowing a decent amount of downtime for the group.
Q 37 What are all of the available item creation feats that a 1st level human wizard could have access to? And what are their sources?

ksbsnowowl

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #126 on: February 06, 2013, 03:55:01 PM »
Got a wizard character that wants to go all item creation because I'm allowing a decent amount of downtime for the group.
Q 37 What are all of the available item creation feats that a 1st level human wizard could have access to? And what are their sources?
A 37: Scribe Scroll, Craft Talisman (OA), and I think I've seen one other oddball one mentioned before, but don't recall what it was.  Probably something out of a Dragon mag.

ksbsnowowl

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #127 on: August 14, 2013, 12:24:03 AM »
A 31: It does exactly what it says it does, nothing more. Since the last weapon to hit it satisfied all 3 categories (piercing, slashing, and bludgeoning/piercing; note that bludgeoning-only weapons do not trigger the reactive DR), the Skindancer gets all 3 DRs (DR 15/(bludgeoning or slashing) and (piercing or bludgeoning) and (slashing)), which can be bypassed by any weapon that deals both slashing damage and either of piercing or bludgeoning.

Touche`
More complicated than I thought.  I even started to type a response that mistook what you'd said.

Since I can't think of anything that would deal both slashing and bludgeoning damage (aside from a bite), the only thing that would overcome the DR at that point is a claw attack (Piercing/Slashing) or a bite.

Hitting it with a claw would get you both DR 15/piercing or bludgeoning and DR 15/slashing or bludgeoning.  Which would do nothing to resist a second claw attack...  interesting

So claws are the bane of this monster...

Just to be thorough, here is the full quote of the ability:
Damage Reduction (Su): A skindancer gains damage reduction based on the damage type of the last weapon that damaged it. If the last weapon that damaged it was a piercing weapon, it gains damage reduction 15/bludgeoning or slashing. If the last weapon that damaged it was a slashing weapon, it gains damage reduction 15/piercing or bludgeoning. If the last weapon that damaged it was a bludgeoning and piercing weapon, it gains damage reduction 15/slashing. This damage reduction lasts for 1 minute or until another type of weapon damages the skindancer.

In most instances, a skindancer does not have damage reduction at the beginning of combat.
"... gains DR based on the damage type of the last weapon that damaged it," and "This DR lasts for 1 minute or until another type of weapon damages the skindancer."

So, a skindancer has DR 15/piercing or bludgeoning, and is struck with a warhammer.  The hammer completely ignores the DR.  Does it also then wipe away the DR?

It was another type of weapon that damaged the skindancer; this should, in theory, end the skindancer's current DR, should it not?

And Bludgeoning never initiates the DR...

So, bites, claws, and hammers are the way to beat this thing...

Odd.
I know this is very late follow-up, but it is handy to have such things pop up in the google search a year from now when I think of using it in game once again.

The skindancer has a stat block in Elder Evils (p. 60) that better defines and clarifies the skindancer's adaptive DR ability.

Damage : DR
Piercing = 15/bludgeoning or slashing
Bludgeoning = 15/piercing or slashing
Slashing = 15/bludgeoning or piercing
Bludgeoning and piercing = 15/slashing
Bludgeoning and slashing = 15/piercing
Piercing and slashing = 15/bludgeoning

They still forgot to deal with a bite attack (B/P/S), but presumably that would either strip him of all DR, or just not change whatever DR he had up previously.