Author Topic: The Small Rants Thread, because sometimes we get pissed off...  (Read 19361 times)

Littha

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: The Small Rants Thread, because sometimes we get pissed off...
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 05:52:42 AM »
Do tell what your approach to the issue is, Littha, and I will tell you just how to overcome the Abysswalker.

Mostly I wander around in Giants Armor +5 or Havel's armor and use either the Gravelord Sword +5 or a Divine Zweihander +10 coupled with a Black Knight Shield +5. Basically the idea is to be just about bulletproof and hit like a train, It usually works quite well (Nito and the four kings didnt know what hit them).  While I can tank his attacks near indefinitely I can never find an opening to actually hit him

Kuroimaken

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 08:36:04 AM »
Yeah... hint the first: a tanking strategy doesn't work well with Artorias. The guy's attacks eat stamina for breakfast. You WANT a lighter set, though you won't necessarily need a different weapon. The thing about Artorias is that he doesn't HAVE any openings if you block him, as you take precious moments of blockstun to recover from his attacks. Artorias is most vulnerable after he attacks, and even so it's for a brief period. You don't want to try attacking him more than once or twice at the most, specially with a Zweihander. Dodging, particularly sideways dodging, is very effective against the guy; you should defend mostly when you see you won't be able to dodge. There are three basic moments when he becomes open for attack:

1- Immediately after his huge leap slash. If you see him crouch down and he's a fair distance away, he is going to do this. Get ready to dodge immediately after he leaves the ground, and hit the attack button shortly after you see him land - that way, you should be able to get him with a dodge attack.

2- After his somersault slashes. He will typically do three of these in a row (four if he's allowed to power-up). Dodge to his right, ALWAYS to his right (it's the side of his limp arm), and you'll come out unscathed. At the end of his third slash you should be able to get a dodge attack in (be VERY careful about pressing the attack at this time; if you're unsure whether he'll do a fourth slash, do one more roll. If you're light enough you'll recover in time to attack him anyway).

3- When he's about to power-up (Artorias crouches down and gathers black sludge around him). Be VERY CAREFUL with this. The explosion can hurt a lot and it's unclear how many hits or how much damage it takes to make him stagger out of it. Typical strategy in this scenario is to quick-switch to a bow and headshot him to interrupt (can be done with a sufficiently strong bow). IF he does power-up, he'll get faster, his attacks will do more damage (including stamina damage) and he might do up to four or possibly five somersaults. Fortunately, this wears off after about a minute, but in the meantime, you have to survive this. Artorias will power-up once about every time 20% of his life bar is depleted, and the power-ups can stack, which is part of why he can be a real pain in the ass.

Also, be wary of the sludge. You can't really increase your defense against this except with humanity, and even that has a cap. It will slow you down if you're covered in it and will constantly damage you if you're standing on it - when he powers up the sludge deals more damage and lasts longer too. It should be fine to defend, though bear in mind there is no shield that can completely negate its damage.

If you've got just about enough Int, Homing Soulmass can be fairly useful to whittle down his HP to a point. Artorias has no weaknesses and is strong against Lightning and Fire but not necessarily against magic.

awaken_D_M_golem

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 05:58:12 PM »
I could rant about anything,

but right this moment I'm happy as a Clam.

A mom is dragging her screaming baby away.

+1 to the Mom.
I miss the BG_Baby's +1 Rattle of Cuteness pic, already ... (sniff)

Is this the Post-Modron Apocalypse ?!

amechra

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 06:23:51 PM »
I just found my passport after spending around 8 hours looking.

I'm hopping on a plane out of the country tomorrow morning.

Needless to say, I'm a tad bit relieved...

sirpercival

• Elite
  • you can't stop the miles
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2013, 07:26:26 AM »
What a horrible night last night...

My 2.75yo son has had a fever for a couple days (nothing serious, just one of those viruses that kids get with no symptoms other than not sleeping well).  Last night he woke up after 3 hours, terrified of something in his room.  We couldn't figure out what he was talking about, because he kept telling us he wanted to "get rid of the bubbles", and grabbing at empty air.  After about half an hour of this, my wife and I were absolutely terrified... we couldn't figure out if he had had a dream and was imagining, or if he was actually hallucinating.

We left the on-call pediatrician a voicemail at 3AM... Dr called back and told us that yes, he was hallucinating, and that it was quite common for kids with fevers to do that, perfectly harmless (though freaky as hell, paraphrasing).

(Sidenote: my wife and I keep ourselves very well informed about what's going on with our kid.  How have we never heard about this?)

Anyway, he spent the rest of the night getting a couple more hours sleep in bed with us, and then woke up half an hour ago with a fever up to 103.7 (or 39.83 for all you metric folks).  And he won't go back to sleep.  Sigh......
It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.

Homebrew Notebook
PbP Char Notebook

phaedrusxy

• Elite
  • Magic 8-Ball Problem Solver
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2013, 10:43:04 AM »
Poor kid. That's a pretty high fever. I assume you're giving him ibuprofen?

I remember hallucinating with a fever when I was a small boy. Mine was luckily more pleasant. I saw a monkey climbing up the wall, and was laughing at it.

sirpercival

• Elite
  • you can't stop the miles
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2013, 10:57:09 AM »

I remember hallucinating with a fever when I was a small boy. Mine was luckily more pleasant. I saw a monkey climbing up the wall, and was laughing at it.
After about 30 min his fever was down to 100.6, so we're all good (and exhausted).
It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.

Homebrew Notebook
PbP Char Notebook

phaedrusxy

• Elite
  • Magic 8-Ball Problem Solver
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2013, 10:59:40 AM »

After about 30 min his fever was down to 100.6, so we're all good (and exhausted).
Yeah, been there. We wound up going to the ER with our son in a very similar situation a few years ago. By the time we got there, his fever had already dropped dramatically, due to the ibuprofen we'd given him, so it was pretty much a waste of our time...  ::)

DragoonWraith

• Sage
  • Global Moderator
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado Dev Team
    • View Profile
    • DragoonWraith.com
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2013, 01:05:01 PM »
I remember hallucinating/dreaming-but-stayed an enormous bumble bee. Like, quite a lot larger than my parents' king-size bed (because, of course, that was where I ran). Don't remember being sick, but then all I really remember is being terrified and the image of it, not any of the context. I was very young.
Legend contributions: As Above, So Below (rewrite); Reap the Whirlwind, A Personal Touch, Kept Secret, Kept Safe (Professional Soldier); Combat Alchemist (extra track)

bhu

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2013, 02:15:09 PM »
Yet more bluescreen errors.  Code on em suggests my ram is bad.  Guess it's time to see where i can find cheap ram sticks.

Jackinthegreen

• Minion
  • Magic 8-Ball
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2013, 05:39:21 PM »
I'm currently having a microwave "barbeque rib sandwich."  I add quotes because on the package it says "rib-shaped pork smothered in barbeque sauce."

I'm not inclined to have another one ever again, especially since the s=called pork is so processed looking at it kinda turns my stomach.  I started it though, so I'm going to finish it.
Boredom is just the time and space between ideas

awaken_D_M_golem

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2013, 05:53:21 PM »
My room heater died ... good thing I'm sufficiently Fat  :P

bhu

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2013, 08:29:09 PM »
SO how much of my soul do I have to sell to be able to hack Google?

Linklord231

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2013, 02:03:53 AM »
Who designed the controls for the Dark Souls PC port?  They are seriously without a doubt the most needlessly complicated and frustrating keyboard+mouse controls I have ever seen.  AND THEN they go and make it damn near impossible to get a USB controller to work with it! 
On the other hand, once I got the controller to work right (had to download some 3rd party software specifically designed to do this), the game turned out to be pretty fun.  I've only played for 3 hours or so (just got passed the Hellkite Dragon) and nothing has been TOO frustrating yet.  Definitely had to backtrack more than once when I wandered in to some enemies that just one-shotted me though.  This game needs some kind of minimap or something.  At least give me some way to tell what the relative power of an enemy is compared to me. 

awaken_D_M_golem

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2013, 04:19:11 PM »

SO how much of my soul do I have to sell to be able to hack Google?

You might have that totally backwards ...  :-X ... as in you've
already sold your soul to google, and they've hacked You.