Author Topic: The Small Rants Thread, because sometimes we get pissed off...  (Read 14933 times)

Kuroimaken

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: The Small Rants Thread, because sometimes we get pissed off...
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2013, 10:37:15 AM »
Huge fire happened in a nightclub in a city I used to live in. Over two hundred CONFIRMED dead. Lots of injuries, people in the freakin' ICU.

An overcrowded place, in the middle of a fire, and people were blocked at the exit so they wouldn't LEAVE WITHOUT PAYING.

Times like these... makes me wish mankind's stupidity and greed had a physical form for me to whittle down with my bare hands.

DragoonWraith

• Sage
  • Global Moderator
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado Dev Team
    • View Profile
    • DragoonWraith.com
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2013, 10:59:21 AM »
I believe many, if not most, nightclubs operate in violation of the local fire code. Blocking people, I assume, was either done by some kind of inanimate blockade (which is illegal) or by bouncers who were uninformed during the chaos.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 12:09:57 PM by DragoonWraith »
Legend contributions: As Above, So Below (rewrite); Reap the Whirlwind, A Personal Touch, Kept Secret, Kept Safe (Professional Soldier); Combat Alchemist (extra track)

Kuroimaken

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2013, 11:01:25 AM »
It was done by bouncers and the doors were locked.

The place was ON. FIRE.

At the absolute VERY least these guys better be getting charges of criminal negligence.

DragoonWraith

• Sage
  • Global Moderator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • DragoonWraith.com
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2013, 12:15:11 PM »
It was done by bouncers and the doors were locked.

The place was ON. FIRE.

At the absolute VERY least these guys better be getting charges of criminal negligence.
You really believe the bouncers were aware that the place was on fire? Because I don't. Even the most self-interested of bouncers would realize that he's not getting paid nearly enough to kill people and risk criminal charges for his employer.

Locks on the doors, the place being overcrowded (as it almost certainly was), poor lighting and indication of fire exits (most likely), lack of a prepared plan for dealing with a fire (including, for example, updating the bouncers at the door about a fire deeper in the club) are all illegal, and the club's owners are going to be a very great deal of trouble. The bouncers will almost certainly also be investigated, and most likely will also see criminal charges (for letting in too many people, possibly for not having a method of communicating critical information like that if it was their responsibility to set one up, though more likely that was their bosses' responsibility).

On the other hand, it's notable that a lot of people go to clubs because they violate the fire code (read: overcrowded, dimly lit, music too loud to hear). Certainly doesn't mean any of them deserved to die or that the owner should be off the hook for catering to those demands, but there is a reason almost every nightclub violates fire codes. The entire clubbing institution is like a worst case scenario for fire safety.
Legend contributions: As Above, So Below (rewrite); Reap the Whirlwind, A Personal Touch, Kept Secret, Kept Safe (Professional Soldier); Combat Alchemist (extra track)

Kuroimaken

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2013, 12:43:59 PM »
I get what you're saying, it just doesn't do my rage any favors, sadly.

The town itself has what could almost be called a tradition of horror stories involving fires and arson. Here's to hoping that at the VERY least, people get with the program in that regard.

bhu

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2013, 06:45:29 PM »

You really believe the bouncers were aware that the place was on fire? Because I don't. Even the most self-interested of bouncers would realize that he's not getting paid nearly enough to kill people and risk criminal charges for his employer.

Having been in a warehouse that caught flame, yes I believe it.  After a minute or so it's impossible not to notice, especially not a place as open as a club.  Besides if a bouncer is blocking the exit, he can escape when he wants, and he only gets charged with murder if the people inside live and are considered credible witnesses.  If they don't pay you just lock the doors behind you and let them all burn.  Any attorney could crush their testimony of they were drunk or high at the time and panicked in a burning room full of people. 

I should have prefaced this by saying I've had jobs where I worked with criminals and am intensely cynical as a result...

DragoonWraith

• Sage
  • Global Moderator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • DragoonWraith.com
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2013, 09:36:21 PM »
Most clubs I've been in (which are admittedly few) don't have that open a floor plan. Sure, the main room is wide-open, but you can't see it from the door. Also, Kuroimaken didn't say how long the doors were blocked for: it wouldn't take long to cause a lot of extra deaths, considering the mass confusion/panic and how the press of people now makes it difficult to open the doors (and get the key, if relevant) even once the bouncers realize what's going on.

Still, you may be right. I certainly don't have any experience with criminals. I just felt the need to inject some salt there.

Kuroimaken

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2013, 10:43:52 PM »
Not that much info on how long they were blocked for. But like you said, any amount of time led to extra deaths.

Death count is at 245 confirmed, with roughly that many others injured or burnt in some capacity, Friend of mine is flying in overnight to help with psych relief, and come tomorrow I'm off to donate blood.

I should note I hate needles. Unfortunately, I don't have any skills that could help those people. I can't help the firemen at this point, and I don't have any medical or psychiatric training.

Jackinthegreen

• Minion
  • Magic 8-Ball
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2013, 12:57:17 AM »
*bangs head against wall*

My dad bought me Adobe's CS2 software back in high school, so it's been about seven years.  Short story is: They got some sort of bug and are telling people to just download it instead and have given a key and everything.  That's great and all, but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to get it to properly install.

I have a feeling I should just learn a freeware program like GIMP and see if I can make some money here and there off art, assuming I get good enough at art to have it be worth being commissioned and crap.
Boredom is just the time and space between ideas

Kuroimaken

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2013, 07:59:15 AM »
Look on the bright side, you can't be as bad as me in that department... I can only draw misshapen chibis.

amechra

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2013, 11:37:35 AM »
Look on the bright side, you can't be as bad as me in that department... I can only draw misshapen chibis.

You can manage that? I started spriting because it is way, way easier than drawing...

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2013, 01:08:42 PM »

You can manage that? I started spriting because it is way, way easier than drawing...

Same here.
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

Jackinthegreen

• Minion
  • Magic 8-Ball
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2013, 10:05:47 PM »
Well, speaking of sprites...

Boredom is just the time and space between ideas