Author Topic: Nintendo Worlds Spin-Off (Recruitment)  (Read 27547 times)

oslecamo

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Nintendo Worlds Spin-Off (Recruitment)
« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2013, 03:49:04 PM »
Looking good now.

And it kinda is a skillful class now. Want to detect traps? Send in a projection! Scouting? Projection! Distraction? Projection! Carry stuff? Projection! Skill uses? Aid Self Another!

Right now it does kinda feel a jack-of-all-trades, no particularly OMG  ability now that "blot out the sun with dragons" is gone, but plenty of stuff to play with between minions and transformation and 6 skill points per level.

sirpercival

• Elite
  • you can't stop the miles
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: January 20, 2013, 10:15:42 PM »
Looking good now.

And it kinda is a skillful class now. Want to detect traps? Send in a projection! Scouting? Projection! Distraction? Projection! Carry stuff? Projection! Skill uses? Aid Self Another!

Right now it does kinda feel a jack-of-all-trades, no particularly OMG  ability now that "blot out the sun with dragons" is gone, but plenty of stuff to play with between minions and transformation and 6 skill points per level.
Would it be a dealbreaker if I boosted it to full BAB and/or d8 HD?
It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.

Homebrew Notebook
PbP Char Notebook

oslecamo

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2013, 06:10:51 AM »
Increasing to d8 HD sounds like a good idea, but considering the Str bonus it already has, Bab should stay at medium.

Sneaky_Sable

• Mook
  • Playing Skyr... Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2013, 12:53:10 PM »
Osle: I have a character proposal for you. No stats, no story, no anything. I want a "Sure" or "GET IT THE HELL AWAY FROM ME!!" from you before I delve deeper.

That proposal, the concept that I've used all the spare time I had, the concept that Jury Duty sought to obliterate... that concept is...

A Picori Ranger

My initial concept was going for Loremaster, but I'd need a trillion levels to hit Loremaster proper, and it isn't actually a "You know lots of stuff" but rather more of a "You're a Bard with loads of Wizard spells" so I was a little disappointed.

A Picori Ranger will satisfy my desire to play interesting and unusual characters, while being both combat capable and relatively non-combat as per my initial desire. Playing it as a Rogue would make more MinMax sense since it's such a naturally tiny creature it'd have +1 billion to sneaking and hiding... which is why I'm running a Ranger. More fun to play a character, not a bunch of numbers with a sword taped to them.

AriasDerros

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2013, 01:13:41 PM »
Read new sig.

Says it all.

Good statement there SS.

Still trying to work on the Mage Dragon.
[It's] More fun to play a character, not a bunch of numbers with a sword taped to them.

oslecamo

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2013, 02:06:39 PM »
Osle: I have a character proposal for you. No stats, no story, no anything. I want a "Sure" or "GET IT THE HELL AWAY FROM ME!!" from you before I delve deeper.

That proposal, the concept that I've used all the spare time I had, the concept that Jury Duty sought to obliterate... that concept is...

A Picori Ranger

My initial concept was going for Loremaster, but I'd need a trillion levels to hit Loremaster proper, and it isn't actually a "You know lots of stuff" but rather more of a "You're a Bard with loads of Wizard spells" so I was a little disappointed.

A Picori Ranger will satisfy my desire to play interesting and unusual characters, while being both combat capable and relatively non-combat as per my initial desire. Playing it as a Rogue would make more MinMax sense since it's such a naturally tiny creature it'd have +1 billion to sneaking and hiding... which is why I'm running a Ranger. More fun to play a character, not a bunch of numbers with a sword taped to them.
You got my full blessings for that character. May I sugest a Shikigami Kami as base race? You can also spice up ranger with Ancient Temple.

sirpercival

• Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: January 21, 2013, 04:28:21 PM »
You can use the Great Wheel variant ranger, if you want -- it's a martial adept, gets Ancient Temple as an option.
It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.

Homebrew Notebook
PbP Char Notebook

Sneaky_Sable

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: January 21, 2013, 05:46:39 PM »
I'll probably just use the Pathfinder base Ranger, since everything else everyone described sounds too complicated for my sleep deprived brain to comprehend. Rangers with martial prowess, or pledging to serve undyingly to an endless ghost maiden mistress master.

I mention Pathfinder's ranger since the Shikigami uses feats from Pathfinder. I'll be using this. Thank you Osle, if you'd be so kind, are the character build notions listed here somewhere and I missed them, or have they not been posted yet?

oslecamo

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: January 21, 2013, 05:55:36 PM »
Character build crunch is in the 1st post's spoiler. :P

Mind you, the Shikigami only has those feats from PF because it was more convenient to copy-pasta their links rather than making up new abilities to replicate the same stuff (as the Shikigam was a PF monster). The PF Ranger is fine, but let me know if you want anything else from PF.

Kuroimaken

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: January 21, 2013, 07:45:58 PM »
Question. Since the first Magic Knight Rayearth came out originally for the SNES...

Can I play as Mokona? XD

oslecamo

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: January 21, 2013, 07:58:21 PM »
Sure. I've always been a big fan of CLAMP and everything. Just too sleepy to sugest of a monster class for it...

Sneaky_Sable

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2013, 10:01:41 PM »
Considering what he could do, I'd be inclined to call him a Living Spell (Leomund's Tiny Hut)

:)

sirpercival

• Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: January 21, 2013, 11:33:22 PM »
Alright, Sage is complete, barring tweaks.

Homebrew Notebook
PbP Char Notebook

Kuroimaken

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: January 22, 2013, 07:53:48 AM »
Sure. I've always been a big fan of CLAMP and everything. Just too sleepy to sugest of a monster class for it...
That'd be God of Cute, of course.

Sneaky_Sable

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: January 22, 2013, 08:02:52 AM »
... Everything I said...
You got my full blessings for that character. May I sugest a Shikigami Kami as base race? You can also spice up ranger with Ancient Temple.

Okay, so full night's sleep later, brain is fully coffee'd and ready to give this a good read and such. Still going to stick with basic ranger, but may throw a sorcerer level in there or two for utility magic, not blasting (Imagine that..), and I'd like your approval to take from Pathfinder for Sorcerer. I'll choose all the spells and feats and such for the character from traditional 3.5.

The other thing I noticed is the Shikigami. There's one little hangup with them for tweaking them to a Picori: They're too big. Shikigami are Tiny Outsiders, while a Picori stands "As tall as Link's thumb". Now, unless Link has Gigantism, [Tiny] is a bit too big. From the description and the details, a Picori is a [Fine] sized creature.

I understand that a Fine creature is relatively useless, damage output wise, in combat scenarios and I understand that 99% of all D&D players see the game as "Useless Filler between intense Rolling Contests", but I'm that 1%.

I'd like your approval to drop the Shikigami from a Tiny sized Outsider to a Fine sized Outsider. Since the Shikigami has a racial ability that grants them their 30 foot movement, I'd be cool with a drop of that to 20 or even 10. Folks would be quick to point out that a Fine creature gets plus infinity to their Hide rolls, but as I'm not playing a rogue, you won't have to worry about that turning into infinite sneak attacks.

The concept is a Picori who's Kinstone was shattered, and thus has no kin among fellow Picori. He looks to have his Kinstone restored so he can return to his people as one of them, and hopefully someday find the one who has the other half of his now-restored Kinstone. Since he doesn't know how to do that, he'll need to make friends in the giant world and adventure to find out what's expected.

Possible roles something like him could fulfill are comic relief, fish-out-of-water situations, advance scouting and sneaking, etc.

Again, not looking to play an atom bomb with feet (Did that once, less fun then you think). :)

Let me know what you think.