Author Topic: Free Boards  (Read 6199 times)

Prime32

• Minion
  • Problem Solver
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Free Boards
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 08:04:42 PM »

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 08:29:13 PM »
Yes, you're right, Prime32. I was referring to the site mentioned in this post: http://www.ruleofcool.com/smf/index.php/topic,552.0.html
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

bhu

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2013, 01:57:40 AM »
There are 2 dnd wikis??

Prime32

• Minion
  • Problem Solver
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2013, 07:30:52 AM »
There are three, since Wikia installs new management on any abandoned site (and deletes any references to people moving).

From oldest to newest:
  • dandwiki.com
  • dungeons.wikia.com
  • dnd-wiki.org
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 07:32:47 AM by Prime32 »

bhu

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2013, 03:20:48 PM »
Which is the good one?

Tarkisflux

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • DnD Wiki Bureaucrat
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2013, 08:12:51 PM »
Which is the good one?

I'm partial to dnd-wiki.org (full disclosure: I am a bureaucrat there and do a lot to help run the joint, and we now have a legend homebrew section). But it really depends on what you're looking for:
  • dnd-wiki.org has some non-wiki like policies to protect authorial control to minimize undesired changes (but is still open, so it can happen), has policies to delete or sandbox (move from the main namespace into a user subpage) incomplete or poorly received work, will remove work upon the request of the author, and tends to be a bit more active in critiquing work. Work there is categorized using a system with some parallels to the tiers, but it's not tiers. I think it's the closest of the 3 to a forum setup.
  • dungeons.wikia.com has annoying advertising, narrow layouts that work poorly with large class tables and other content likely to be seen in homebrew, and basically no leadership or editors. And that last part is something that you might be looking for, since you can grab it and do whatever you want with it really, since wikia has a lot of name recognition and google rank.
  • dandwiki.com wants to be a traditional wiki, and so does not have any stronger authorial protection than the "primary contributor" defaulting for edit wars that wikipedia has. They don't really care what you post or how complete it is and do not categorize material by any metric (which has given them a reputation for incomplete or unbalanced stuff), nor do they allow listing of primary authors. They pretty much don't delete non-infringing or non-objectionable things, ever. And the site owner has some really bizarre ideas about copyright, and will complain loudly if he notices you putting your work up anywhere else under a different license. But hey, traditional open wiki.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 08:15:06 PM by Tarkisflux »

bhu

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2013, 09:08:58 PM »
My Gawd I could easily triple the amount of 3.5 homebrew you have in the case of monsters (and maybe PrC's)....

Tarkisflux

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • DnD Wiki Bureaucrat
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2013, 09:29:09 PM »
You're certainly welcome to bring it over if you like. It's hard to turn down more monsters after all ;). If you decide you want to, feel free to bug me or ask in the irc chat (linked on the sidebar and main page) if you need any help with the formatting.

bhu

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2013, 10:05:40 PM »
There could be a minor problem with some of my stuff.  Some of my humorous entries are a bit risque.  Peek at teh spells for the Witch Doctor I posted on the AByss on this board.

zook1shoe

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2013, 01:28:37 AM »
@Tark

For several years, I've been working on an uber list of ALL the spell descriptions from all official 1st-party and 2nd party 3.x content. Such as Dragonlance, Ghostwalk, FR, Eberron, WotC web enhancements, etc.

I was just about to look into either a free blog or some 3rd party wiki to post the info.

What sort of things do you guys have over there about posting a compilation of copyrighted and OGL material?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 01:30:39 AM by zook1shoe »
Do you like DnD 3.x high optimization?
Ask me about a cool 3.5 multiplayer gestalt gladiator game!

Tarkisflux

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • DnD Wiki Bureaucrat
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2013, 02:10:02 AM »
There could be a minor problem with some of my stuff.  Some of my humorous entries are a bit risque.  Peek at teh spells for the Witch Doctor I posted on the AByss on this board.

Some of the graphic examples are borderline maybe (I can talk about which ones elsewhere if you like), but the ideas themselves are probably fine. We have pulled objectionable written content before, but it was really objectionable and your work isn't there yet. If you're worried about it you could skip it or put it up in subpages of your user page instead of in the main navigation. Subpages means it's probably not going to get seen by casual users, but it serves as another storage box if you wanted one. We let people put all kinds of weird stuff in there, like the one guy who has a bunch of BoEF "NPCs" stated up.

@Tark

For several years, I've been working on an uber list of ALL the spell descriptions from all official 1st-party and 2nd party 3.x content. Such as Dragonlance, Ghostwalk, FR, Eberron, WotC web enhancements, etc.

I was just about to look into either a free blog or some 3rd party wiki to post the info.

What sort of things do you guys have over there about posting a compilation of copyrighted and OGL material?

We have the full SRD posted and a whole namespace devoted to publications (because we're clever, it's the "Publication" namespace). We will delete any infringing material (and have before), but any OGL material or index/summary material is acceptable as long as it's your words and not copypasta from the text proper. So some of our "Complete X" entries have a feat or class or spell index with summaries, but plenty others don't. And other pages, like Complete Gear (3rd party publisher) or Unearthed Arcana, have OGL material appended to them as subpages (that is then included via wiki magic in OGL material lists elsewhere for ease of browsing).

If that sounds workable or interesting, feel free to pop on over to the DnD 3.x Pub Listings and take a closer look. Or you can roll your own solution along whatever lines that you think more fitting. But I strongly recommend not trying to post copyright material. Aside from legal and ethical concerns, posting copyright material is just asking for takedown notices (see Crystal Keep, the assorted Char Gen sheets that aren't floating around anymore, etc.). And then all of your work doesn't get seen. It sounds like you've put in a bunch of work already, and it would be shame to not get to use it.

zook1shoe

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2013, 02:56:53 AM »
*nods* thanks for letting me know what your boards do
Do you like DnD 3.x high optimization?
Ask me about a cool 3.5 multiplayer gestalt gladiator game!