Author Topic: The Lost of Arcana Lost  (Read 16531 times)

phaedrusxy

• Elite
  • Magic 8-Ball Problem Solver
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: The Lost of Arcana Lost
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2013, 01:57:27 PM »
Also, do Spellforge Gauntlets work with Remembrance Splintered and (if I have it) Vitriolic Corona Endowment? Because that would be a way to get Sudden Stunning on the weapons I'll be using.
You could use the MiC version, Stunning Surge, which is a +1 equivalent, rather than a flat 2k cost:

Stunning surge:
+1 bonus
On successful attack, take swift action to emit a magic surge.
Victim makes fort save vs DC=1/2 character level + cha modifier + 10.
stunned for 1 round.
uses/day=cha modifier.

phaedrusxy

• Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2013, 07:52:20 PM »

AriasDerros

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2013, 08:26:04 PM »
Crap... the link with all of your houserules is gone...

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=6720.0

Time for a Frigg Ackerfeldt level FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU [/panel]

Okay, next post is going to start saving some of the information.

Character sheets, lost. Damnit.
[It's] More fun to play a character, not a bunch of numbers with a sword taped to them.

AriasDerros

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2013, 08:31:42 PM »
Basic overview.
Spoiler
In the world of Perus (Paer-oos), there was a great war some 3,000 years ago. Each of the Humanoid races had their own side, Ancient (Primordial) Giants, Dragons, and Mind Flayers, all in a war royal. The power of magic was being thrown back and forth, decimating entire land-masses at a time. Magic energies coursing back and forth, back and forth, bowed, then broke. A maelstrom of Magic ripped across the world, leaving the forces of the armies too decimated to recover, in no small part due to the fact that magic had stopped working.

Each of the forces went back to their own homes, erecting peace accords that still stand to this day.

Generations later, magic started to return, but it was weak.

It still is. Those who have the ability to use magic, in any form, must usually manage to learn their talent by first handling a source of magical energies (a small magic item, usually). The people who can use magic are feared. Everyone knows enough of the historical stories to know what magic did to their world once. But people who use magic, or at least wield magic equipment, are needed. If a Basilisk shows up in a mine, it could well be the end of the operation, or even the town, without the aid of "adventurers".

Because of this combination of fear, antagonism, and need, those with the potential to awaken the magic in dormant items, or learn to use magic itself, are not considered to be a part of their race. Adventurers must deal with a little xenophobia just for wielding some portion of the power that once ripped across the world, but nowhere near as much as the races still feel toward each other.

Magic, while it has returned to an extent, is still weaker than it once was. Magic items must be used, strengthening their magical energies through use, or to the exposure of other magics, it is unclear exactly what causes some magic items to "re-develop".

Of course, there are organizations that have formed out of the people who are gifted. Many are "Royal Adventuring Companies", small groups who have charters with the local powers-that-be to go out and take care of problems that require the talents of such people. Other than such groups, there are others whose presence is known throughout most of the world. The Seal Wardens are quite well known as well, this group has one goal, things that are sealed away should stay that way {This is the Keepers of the Seal from Dungeonscape p61, same history and all, just re-named}. Then of course, there is the Grand Academy, a university that trains those who study how to use magic.

The three most well known groups, however, are the Keepers of Magic, The Incantum, and the School of the Sublime.

The Keepers are a group that catalogs magic, and the information about it. Their library would be the culmination of all spell-knowledge in the world, which makes it a target for thieves who wish to sell their finds to spellcasters (or thieves who are spellcasters). The Keepers vault, which is rumoured to contain magic items of all sorts, would be a much greater target. Only fools try to go after either of the Keepers collections, as they have used their knowledge of magic to protect their property and studies. The Keepers of Magic originally were, and mostly still are, clerics of the gods of magic. Because of the abuses of magic in the past the Keepers have two guiding rules: "Observe, record, and collect, never intervene"; "Do not allow for the abuse of magic to lead to another great ruination, even if one must gather the dispensation to ignore our first law".

The Incantum is much less intrusive in the affairs of others. This group formed because of invaders from other planes were endangering the lives of the people soon after magic started to return to Perus needed to be stopped. In order to stop these creatures, many of whom had powerful magical abilities of their own, the Incantum developed their own training on how to twist magic to be far greater than is typically capable for most spellcasters. This group still maintains these abilities, and uses them to make sure that no portals exist to the other planes, and make sure that any incursion by their old foes sees their enemies destroyed or sent back from where they came.

The School of the Sublime refers to all of the various monasteries, temples, and other training grounds that maintain contact with one another sending about representatives from one school to another. {To be lazy about the description of the function of the group, imagine any given Martial Arts organization that regulates the sport and the spirit of any of the martial arts.} The School has its origins in the original Temple of the Nine Swords, and the basic nine styles are still the most widely practiced. Over time however, a large number of other schools have been developed by other martial practitioners, even including the dragons on their island of Litrixearenkssifisv. There are many who support the School over all other organizations, seeing these people as ones who are able to deal with the threats of the world, without using the magics that once imperiled the world.

Magic
Spoiler
{en bracket is me, all else is NPC}
{Note: not all of what is said here is common knowledge}
Addressed to a neonate class of arcanists-to-be.

Hello, I am Professor
Ravenos
Chimest, Bardal, Wannerf, Addskor, Wedurd, Pallabar, Shadowcloak, Dalhed, Lenwann, Mabus, Jinaru, Buuthin, Donut, Skorvar, Jezeuse, Arumjanbar, Segsegras, Bareaus, Barjan, Ravenos
I am the Head Professor of the Grand Academy. I am here today to teach you about magic in the world of Perus.

First, the principal of the essence.
Spoiler
All creatures that live have some small amount of energy within them. This is the energy of the soul. As we grow and develop, so to do our souls. As our souls grow, so does this energy re-enforce the rest of our being. This is why a person who has developed themselves by facing challenges can learn things that eluded them before, and even take blows with minimal injury that would have felled them easily when they were younger.
It should be mentioned that certain forms of attack, such as the strike of a wight, can harm your soul, causing slight loss of some of this development, or even significant loss, in some cases.

Second, the principal of the pattern.
Spoiler
Normally, the energy of the soul is inert, but it can be forced into action. This is achieved by "filtering" the energy into patterns made of like energies. This causes the energy to "weave" together, thus causing effect in the world. My apologies for the somewhat inaccurate terms of "filter" and "weave", but methinks you either understand my meaning, or don't need to (and should find your way to another class if that is the case).

Third, the principal of the result of the pattern.
Spoiler
It is the result of the energy being focused into its weave that we are most familiar with. From putting people to sleep, to causing fire to erupt from our hands, we mages are generally quite overt in how we wield the energy of existence. However, the ways that the result of the weave take effect depend quite vastly on the method that is being used to filter it. Psionic abilities, Divine magics, and our own Arcane magics are quite often treated as though they were different, but in truth, we use the same energy in much the same way. Even the patterns that Psions use are closely related to the patterns we do, which is why there are so many of their Powers that produce the same effect as our spells. Divine casters patterns, as well as some Psionic users, are more removed from ours, which is why the can repair the body so easily, but they cannot usually manage things like Immediate Transitory Movement {teleportation} as easily as we do.
Of course, some of you might be asking yourselves about other types of pattern-use at this point. Well, the next most closely related to us in that of the invocations. There really isn't actually that much to be said about this, except that they are using yet another pattern-set to utilize their abilities, but one that sacrifices power for a decreased degradation of their ability to use it in a day, allowing them to re-use a small number of abilities continuously, rather than having our range or power of abilities which will tire and exhaust.
Then we have Meld-Shapers. These people actually use the energy of the soul, and combine it with excess energy of the same type in the environment to evoke a "basic" or "true" magic, called thus because there is very little filtering. Some mages even believe that some forms of the Shapers abilities don't use a pattern at all.
There are two other forms of magic that are considered "basic", much like the Meld-Shapers. The first is Truespeak. This form of magic has never been powerful in the world, but it never-the-less is an example of how someone can evoke the raw effect of the souls energy in the universe, in this case by causing a resonation with the sound of specific syllables in specific orders. This is quite difficult, and rarely worth it. Even I, in my two hundred years, have not met a user of Truespeak because of that combination of difficulty and the payoff thereof. The last form of "basic" magic is pact-summons. This magic uses specially drawn seals and other components to help build out a pattern for the souls energy in an area, that then beckons forth entities that lie hidden within the worlds energies. The abilities of these entities are varied, but I'll cover how they work in a moment.

There are other types of magic too, but this part of the lesson would take all your class hours for the year if I covered them all in-depth, so let's move on.
{He moved on, but I will be happy to answer any questions posed.}

Fourth, the principal of the pattern in nature.
Spoiler
I am certain I hardly need to tell you that some creatures of the world have strange abilities. Some, like the very existence of some ooze-type creatures, are not relevant here, but for the illustration of this lesson, let us look at the great Eye-Tyrants. Their rays are many and varied, but these too use the same energy and patterns as we do. The Eye-Tyrants also never lost their abilities, never had to re-learn how to use patterns, like we did. "Monsters" such as these creatures are able to use such abilities as a matter-of-course because the very energy of their soul is already arranged into not only the proper pattern, but usually into the completed weave of the effect, with no conscious effort on their part. They never lost magic, and every member of their species can use their abilities, because it is fundamentally written into them. Supposedly, this used to be true of my kind as well, though now only blessed-blood gnomes have a natural talent for magic.
Which brings up the phenomenon of so-called "blessed blood". In short, ever since the maelstrom of magic tore across Perus, most of the races that were using magic widely at the time have had their energies sealed within them. "Blessed blood" individuals do not have this issue, their souls energy is accessible to them, much like it used to be for all peoples. This seems to be nothing more than a natural regression.
Additionally, do you remember me mentioning the entities called forth through pact-magic? (If not, stop sleeping in class!) The fact of the matter is that these creatures magic is the same as that of creatures like the Eye-Tyrants I mentioned. which is to say, the magic is fundamental to their existence. That is all there actually is is to how they work. But the extraordinary trait about them is their ability to blend their soul-energy with another creature in order to provide that other creature their abilities.

Fifth, the principal of the magic that is lost.
Spoiler
You already know, and I've mentioned it already, but magic was lost after a maelstrom of energies decimated Perus. What seems to have happened is that magic was seemingly re-ordered to cause the patterns that used to work to evoke the correct weave didn't work any more. This combined with the issue of people not having access to their own energies in order to work the patterns means that we are still re-discovering much of what was lost.
Similarly, the patterns within most magic items are still there, but because those patterns don't work anymore, the pattern must be changed in order for the item to be fully-functional. This happens naturally as the item is used, and as the energy courses through the item, the pathways of the patterns are re-arranged like the hammocks of a swamp under the flow of water.

Was everyone paying attention? Good, because now you're going to be tested on what I just covered.
{There will not be a test.}

Religion (two paragraphs)
Spoiler
This campaign uses the Oerth / Grayhawk pantheon (in its entirety), and the various racial pantheons, including the draconic.

The people are relatively impious though, so whatever.
The people were subjected to each other in the war, and the gods did not intervene. The people suffered the maelstrom, and the gods did not intervene. The people had to deal with monsters who still had their abilities, when the people did not, and the gods did not intervene. The people now have to rely on a very small sub-set of individuals, some of whom are little better than monsters themselves, and the gods do not intervene. The people are not cared for by the gods, so most do not care for the gods.

The rest can wait a little bit, since most would need re-written anyway (cache only has half the next post, and nothing after that).
[It's] More fun to play a character, not a bunch of numbers with a sword taped to them.

Quillwraith

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2013, 11:12:42 AM »
I have Joseph Spades on my computer.

AriasDerros

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2013, 12:37:19 PM »

YAY!... and hello!

I really hope MMX comes back up soon.

This, just sucks. I thought I had more on my computer, but I realized that I didn't save several files on my computer when I reinstalled everything (including the OS). Including a few files wherein I told myself "It's already online".  :'(

phaedrusxy

• Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2013, 06:58:34 PM »

YAY!... and hello!

I really hope MMX comes back up soon.

This, just sucks. I thought I had more on my computer, but I realized that I didn't save several files on my computer when I reinstalled everything (including the OS). Including a few files wherein I told myself "It's already online".  :'(
yeah, i feel your pain... I had a hidden development board on mmx with npcs, custom homebrew, etc... almost none saved anywhere else...

Captnq

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2013, 08:57:30 PM »
yeah, i feel your pain... I had a hidden development board on mmx with npcs, custom homebrew, etc... almost none saved anywhere else...

Not to make you feel bad, but some people ask why I do the PDF thing for my handbooks. It's harder to do a google search and find the info they are looking for. This is why I make my handbooks as downloadable PDFs, so the information is available regardless of the stability of any given section of the internet. Plus I much perfer the formating options.

AriasDerros

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2013, 12:20:54 PM »
For those who missed it, over at RoC forums I announced that I was going to prep a second campaign storyline. This will feature those whom are currently listed as "reserves": VennDiagram; Pimpforged; GeniusSavant; PhaedrusXY; Risada, Scout89. Your campaign will be starting in a Human countries capitol city.

More to come. Need to Sleep today and there is so much to do here and elsewhere.

YAY!

I have my stuff back!
[Hugs boards]

What it says on ze tin.