Author Topic: D&D Play by Post  (Read 3089 times)

phaedrusxy

• Elite
  • Magic 8-Ball Problem Solver
    • View Profile
    • Awards
D&D Play by Post
« on: January 20, 2013, 04:25:21 PM »
Where should we create threads for D&D PbP games? Should these have their own sub-forum(s), or should we use the Realms of Adventure area?

afroakuma

• Administrator
  • Elite
  • Prayer Wing Scroll of Scribes Problem Solver RoC Staff Art Aficionado Eye of Seeing Aquarius Dev Team
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: D&D Play by Post
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 06:26:10 PM »
I've been mulling over this issue in the past few days, and I think what I would like to do is create a Play-by-Post subforum for all non-Legend games, filed under Gaming Discussion. I know there are a few voices who might advocate for PBP subboards by game, but I feel that D&D's going to win the lion's share regardless and that it would be more inclusionist.

Anyone with thoughts on the matter, please drop them here. I'd like to come to an informed conclusion on this as soon as possible.

sirpercival

• Elite
  • you can't stop the miles
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 07:32:51 PM »
What MMX did was have an "everything PbP" board, and then each game had its own subforum with the DM as moderator, so there could be charsheet threads, world threads, IC & OOC threads, etc.  In general, though, I don't really care where they go, as long as they go somewhere :D
It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.

Homebrew Notebook
PbP Char Notebook

phaedrusxy

• Elite
  • Magic 8-Ball Problem Solver
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 07:50:26 PM »
What MMX did was have an "everything PbP" board, and then each game had its own subforum with the DM as moderator, so there could be charsheet threads, world threads, IC & OOC threads, etc.  In general, though, I don't really care where they go, as long as they go somewhere :D
/agree  ;D

It's not hard to have all the various threads of each game linked in the first post of one "master thread", anyway. And it's a bit easier on the moderators.

AriasDerros

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 09:20:19 AM »
... and I think what I would like to do is create a Play-by-Post subforum for all non-Legend games, filed under Gaming Discussion.

I agree with this. It shouldn't go into the same areas as the other PbP's that are here, because this forums purpose is as a ground for Legend players. You guys have been so kind as to provide us with a port in our storm, but that doesn't mean we should be taking over the inns and taverns in this port. Especially since most any PbP we start here would insta-migrate back to MMX if / when it returns.

I don't think it would make much sense, on a forum dedicated to one particular game, to have an "everything PbP" board, though I do agree that in the area for DND PbP it would be better to be able to make sub-boards.
[It's] More fun to play a character, not a bunch of numbers with a sword taped to them.

afroakuma

• Administrator
  • Elite
  • Prayer Wing Scroll of Scribes Problem Solver RoC Staff Art Aficionado Eye of Seeing Aquarius Dev Team
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 09:33:39 AM »
Alright, well, for the moment, I'm going to try the setup that you see now, and I may make additional changes if it seems warranted or there is enough demand.

We've been very happy to have the MinMaxers here and have no problem with that continuing; we have a big forum section just for Legend, but most of the RoC people came here from D&D/other games and I see no reason to diminish that. However, as you've said, significant infrastructure setup needs to be balanced out with what's going to stick and what's going to vanish if and when MinMax ever comes back.

Comments on the current setup are, as always, very welcome.

sirpercival

• Elite
  • you can't stop the miles
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 09:37:56 AM »
Yay!  Can you do me a favor and move the "Heroes Reborn Character Profiles" thread into that forum?
It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.

Homebrew Notebook
PbP Char Notebook

afroakuma

• Administrator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 09:55:34 AM »
Anyone else who needs a thread moved, let me know.