Author Topic: Weapon Thread (Current Weapon: GNOME CALCULUS QUESTIONS)  (Read 13458 times)

Captnq

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Weapon Thread (Current Weapon: GNOME CALCULUS QUESTIONS)
« on: January 23, 2013, 03:04:39 AM »
Hi Ho Keeds!

I continue my work on the Weapon Handbook, which shall be the complete guide to all things Weapony in D&D. Sort of like how my “What Can You Do With…” spell discussion thread was about exploring everything you could do with any given spell spell, then moving onto the next, this thread will be about weapons. I shall begin with the non-magical ones.

As before, I welcome all comments and brutal assessments. Lets figure out exactly what you can do with any given weapon.

I expect this thread to move faster then the other one, mainly because there are a lot less weapons then there are spells. The Spellbook was over 1600 pages. This isn’t even a hundred. So, without further adue, let us discuss WEAPONS!!!

Weapons Currently Addressed On This Thread
Spoiler
Ankus
Caber
Chondathan Steelsword
Collasping Crescent Fan
Garrote
Scissor Sword
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 09:37:36 AM by Captnq »

Captnq

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Ankus
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 03:06:14 AM »
Ankus
Spoiler
- MASTERS OF THE WILD (3.0)
Exotic Two-Handed Melee Weapon
[Tripping, Droppable, Non-Lethal]
Cost: 15 gp
Damage: 1d6/2d4
Critical: x2
Reach: 0 to 10 ft
Weight: 15 lb
Type: B
The ankus is a hooked device used to steer elephants. It deals only subdual damage, but because of its
hook, you can also use it to make trip attacks. You can drop the ankus to avoid being tripped during your own trip attempt. The ankus has 10-foot reach.
Editor: This is a 3.0 weapon, so your DM may not allow it’s use. The weapon does not state it has a minimum distance for use, so despite it’s description, it threatens everything out to 10 feet. It’s reach is the only thing it has going for it. Over all, this weapon is fairly useless, except for smacking dumbo upside the head.

Editor (General WSAs): A few jump out at me. Bane (animals) makes this ideal for handling animals, which is the point of the weapon. Who’s going to shell out that much money to whack an elephant in the back of the head is another story. If you got the money to burn, You should also look at chargebreaker/intercepting, just in case an elephant tried to trample you. If you want to discourage your animal handlers from beating your elephants, might I suggest vicious. It is only a +1 bonus, it adds +2d6 damage, and it only does 1d6 non-lethal to the wielder. Most Elephants couldn’t handle an Animal Bane/Vicious weapon for more then one or two shots, but most handlers will feel the sting of getting hit for 1d6.

Captnq

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Caber
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 03:07:10 AM »
CABER
Spoiler
- MASTERS OF THE WILD (3.0)
Exotic Ranged Weapon
Cost: 10 gp
Damage: -
Critical: x2
Range: 10 ft
Weight: 100 lb
Type: B
Ammo: Thrown
A caber is a heavy pole that you can throw at one or more targets grouped closely together. To throw a caber, you must target a 10-toot-square area and hit AC 15. Success means that everyone in the target area must make a Reflex save (DC = your attack roll) or move 5 feet backward. If a creature or object in the target area is incapable of movement, it takes 2d6 points of damage. The caber is normally used for breaking up military formations.
Editor: "What rolls downstairs, along or in pairs, and rolls over your neighbour's dog? What's great for a snack, and fits on your back..." Ren and stimpy References aside, what you have here is the only area of effect weapon. Unfortunately, the weight of this thing is off the charts. I would suggest using a Glove of storing to keep it in reserve.

Editor (General WSAs): Since the weapon does no damage, you have to use only WSAs where you hit the target, but don’t need to do damage. The upside is, you hit everyone if you hit AC 15, so it always goes off. Ranged jumps right out at me, because it’s only effective out to 50 feet. Aquatic (2,000 gp) might be nice. Imagine throwing a log 50 feet down to bash a bunch of sea creatures, then watching the log float back up to you. If I saw someone throw a log 50 feet through water, I’d be frickin terrified. Clouting is +3, but it will knock your targets back another 10 feet. Diseased (+1) will do con and dex damage once. But how often are you going to throw this thing? Dislocator (+1) teleports the targets 10 feet. Explosive will cause it to do damage to everyone in the area, regardless if they make the reflex save. Rusting would be just rude. Shrinking would make transporting so much easier. Torturous might stun someone. And wounding (+2) will drop all targets one point of con.

Editor (Exit Wound): A +2 bonus. Wow. How to handle this one. I mean, technically it works. However, you are aiming for an area, not a person. But an area is a target, so… That would mean the first 10 square you hit is at AC 15, the next 10 square is at AC 19, then AC 23, AC 27, and finally AC 31. You have to roll to hit each square, or it stops in the last square you hit. It does 1d6 extra damage to every target in the square that fails a reflex save. Basically you roll the log for 50 feet and crush a whole bunch of people. Definitely buy it with ranged and teleporting. Roll your log a 100 feet, then have it reappear in your hand next round to do it again. Bonus points if you dress up as Donkey Kong.

Editor (Hating Invisibility): Revealing causes everyone who you hit to gain faerie fire for one round. Upgrade to sparkling for several rounds. Think you have an invisible intruder, throw a log at an area and see if anyone in it glows. Technically, it works if the enemy is hit, not damaged, so everyone in the area starts glowing, no saving throw allowed.

Captnq

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
COLLAPSING CRESCENT FAN
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 04:29:54 AM »
COLLAPSING CRESCENT FAN
Spoiler
- SANDSTORM (3.5)
Exotic Light Melee Weapon
Cost: 40 gp
Damage (s): 1d4
Damage (m): 1d6
Critical: 19-20/x2
Weight: 2 lb
Type: S
Only a few desert societies have the wherewithal to forge the exotic weapon known as the collapsing crescent fan. Of those, the bhukas are most commonly associated with the weapon, and so another name for this weapon is the “bhuka blade”. When not in use, a crescent blade folds into a compact shape not too much larger than a wand. However, with a mere flick of the wrist, the many segments of a crescent blade slide into view and lock into place. The vanes of the fan are thin, razor-sharp steel sheets. When you attack a flat-footed foe with it, you gain a +4 bonus on the attack roll.

Editor: +4 to attack any flat-footed foe. Great when combined with Iaijutsu Focus. What’s to say, except that it’s sneaky as heck. I see this being the weapon of a woman who fans herself with it, then slashes the crap out of you when you least expect it.

Editor (General WSAs): Assassination/Deadly Precision/heartfinder all seems like an obvious choice for the sneak attack. Since this seems like a sneaky weapon, harmony might be a bad choice. Blurstrike will render your target flat-footed. I like chargebreaker (+1), but only for the imagery. Clouting (+3) drives people back 10 feet. Duststorm also seems thematically appropriate. I like the idea of putting an air elemental in it. Fly also seems to fit. Hideaway allows you to fold it up to nothing for 2,000 gp and it returns to normal size as a swift action. Jumping comes with feather fall built in, which fits with a fan weapon. Paralyzing is good if you are using this to assassinate someone. As a sneaky weapon, silent moves would be a good fit. Smoking goes along with a fan theme. Strength Sapping (+2) could be a good fit. Stunning surge as well. Vanishing allows you to teleport 60 feet, a good trick for an assassin.

Editor (Brutal Surge): A +1 bonus. This one takes some explaining. Brutal Surge allows you to initiate a bull rush against any target you hit with a successful melee attack, without actually moving along with the target. So it’s sort of like you wave the fan at someone and send them flying backwards. Just a cool visual effect. Using a two handed weapon with brutal surge is far more effective. Although you could use balanced to wield a large CCF, thus making it a one-handed weapon that you could wield with two hands. A lot of effort, however, to do what a longsword does as a martial weapon.

Editor (Vorpal/Tentacle): Normally I don’t recommend vorpal. That said, there is some merit to having a vorpal fan. One, it’s a light weapon which means you can use it in your off hand. You can just keep swinging with it and hope to get lucky. Two, if you are an assassin and get lucky enough to behead someone from the shadows, that +4 will help confirm the critical. Three, it’s kinda cool to kill someone with a fan. Although, if you want to go for sheer style, a tentacle fan is just scary as crap. A fan with tentacles wiggling out of it, ripping out peoples brains… When does that EVER stop being fun?

Editor (Whirling): It seems like a natural fit, but actually it’s a poor choice. Your weapon has no reach, it’s damage is only 1d6, and it requires you to be surrounded by your enemies. That said, if you want to go with the whole whirling fan of doom thing, take shadowstrike as well. That extra 5 foot reach will make or break whirling.

Captnq

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Ideas for this monster
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 05:15:29 AM »
BOW, BONE
Spoiler
- FROSTBURN (3.5)
Exotic Ranged Weapon
Cost: 250 gp
Damage (s): 1d8
Damage (m): 1d10
Critical: x3
Range: 120 ft
Weight: 4 lb
Type: P
Ammo: Large Arrow
This powerful and oversized bow is designed to fire exceptionally large arrows specially made for it. Made of the bones and sinews of huge animals such as woolly mammoths and dire rhinoceroses, these bows were designed by primitive cultures expressly for the hunting of huge creatures that require a lot of damage to take down. A bone bow functions as a composite longbow with regard to applying the user’s Strength bonus to damage done with arrows shot from it. The bow has a long, thick spike protruding from both ends; this spike is used to brace against a solid object (either the ground or an overhanging protrusion or ceiling) to aid in pulling the bow’s string. A character may use a bone bow as a martial weapon, but doing so imparts a –4 penalty on attack rolls, and firing an arrow from the bow requires a full round action. For purposes of feats such as Weapon Focus and Weapon Specialization, a bone bow is treated as if it were a longbow; thus if you have Weapon Focus (longbow), that feat applies to bone bows as well.

Giving your DM a reason to kill you

Okay, first, we need to make this out of dragon bone for the extra +25 feet range (+100 gp). Then we need to make both ends of the weapon dragonfang, so the two end spikes do 1 point of energy damage (+600 gp). Then we make the bow elvencraft. In this case, the elven craft makes it a quarterstaff, that does less damage then the 1d10 piercing it comes with. Since the two don’t stack, it keeps the 1d10 damage, but loses the -4 penalty to attack rolls. (+300 gp). Now, the difference between a longbow and an elven double bow is 925 gp. A bone bow is three times as expensive as a longbow, so lets assume that the cost to make a double bone bow is +3,000 gp, just to round up. Continuing on, just for the heck of it, let’s add a bow blade to the grip, just because I can (+2 gp). Oh, and lets add a strength bonus to that of +5  to each bow. (+1000 gp) If we want it to be masterwork, there are technically 5 different weapons combined into one, so you need to buy masterwork for all 5, for an additional +1,500 gp. A grand total of 6,752 gp

1) Any errors in my calculations?
2) What exactly could you do with this? What springs to mind?

This is an open call to go to Twink Town and abuse the rules out of this Bastard. Seriously. I want to see the worst that this has to offer.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 05:20:04 AM by Captnq »

dipolartech

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Weapon Thread (Current Weapon: COLLAPSING CRESCENT FAN)
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 07:41:14 AM »
whats this +5 strength to each bow? Each end? Each weapon? How is adding even 1 +5 bonus only 1000gp much less multiples?

Nytemare3701

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 07:49:27 AM »
whats this +5 strength to each bow? Each end? Each weapon? How is adding even 1 +5 bonus only 1000gp much less multiples?

I believe he was speaking of the Composite effect's "Up to +X of your strength modifier to damage"

Kajhera

• Minion
  • Scroll of Scribes
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 08:48:06 AM »
5 wand chambers springs to mind.
"The question arises: What constitutes dessert?" - John Stuart Mill, "Utilitarianism"

Captnq

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 11:21:30 AM »
Oops! Almost missed it.

Close Fighting Blade. +100 gp. Alas, I would be unable to ever release it. It is spring loaded and concealed, but I think It takes up the same position as the the bow blade. Still, I see no reason the bow blade can go OVER it. It'll just be retracted and never used. Perfect for making +5 defending for the AC bonus. Now then, the price climbs to... 7,152 and has 6 "weapons" built in. Strange. They are all piercing damage.

zook1shoe

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 12:49:00 PM »
Isn't the ankus in a 3.5 book, like Frostburn? (I'm afb)
Do you like DnD 3.x high optimization?
Ask me about a cool 3.5 multiplayer gestalt gladiator game!

Keldar

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 04:00:00 PM »
No such luck.

Captnq

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 12:42:41 AM »

Nope.

I've finished going through every book and getting a master list together. Just a rough draft mind you. needs cleaning up, and master lists need to be made. And a giant spread sheet, broken down by weapon type.

BTW, worked 38 hours in the past 48, need sleep.

Captnq

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Weapon Thread (Current Weapon: GARROTE)
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 09:38:15 PM »
GARROTE, WIRE
Spoiler
- SONG AND SILENCE (3.0)
Exotic Light Melee Weapon
Cost: 10 gp
Damage (s): 1d6
Damage (m): 1d8
Critical: 19-20/x2
Weight: 1 lb
Type: S
This weapon is nothing but a thin wire set into a pair of wooden grips. Like the cord version, it is used to strangle an opponent. The grips protect the attacker’s hands from the wire. A character using a wire garrote without grips or some other form of hand protection takes 1d3 points of damage per round from the wire. Using this weapon requires a special garrote attack.

Editor: Ah, the humble garrote. The rules for using it are byzantine, the effects less than to be desired. Against low hit dice guards, it’s only really effective in the hands of one skilled with sneak attack. After all, once you start to kill someone with it, you get to sneak attack every round. Still, for the silent assassin, it has the advantage that a guard cannot scream for help while you are choking the crap out of him.

Editor (Useful WSAs): Assassination (+1), Duh. Bloodstone (+1) only works on the living, which works with a garrote, that only kills that which breathes, plus an empowered vampiric touch could give you just the edge you need while sneaking into a place. Brilliant energy (+4) is expensive, but being able to strangle a guy in full plate is just too funny. Deadly precision (+1) for the extra sneak attack damage. Dispelling (+1) will make sure all of the target’s buff spells are down. Consider earthbound, because chances are you will be strangling someone while in contact with a surface. Last Resort (+1) technically works if you are being grappled, or grappling someone, so if you are a pixie, you get many extra dice to strangle an ogre. If you want to only knock out the guards, consider merciful. Definitely look at paralyzing (+1). Passage (32,400 gp) lets you open a portal to the spirit world once a day. Excellent place to dump a body. Speed (+4), it is expensive, but lets you strangle someone faster. Spell Storing (+1) lets you store hold person or something useful. Stunning Surge (+1) can make this end quickly. Transmuting (+2) lets you overcome all forms of DR, which is the bane of all garrotes. Torturous (+1) can also stun your target. Vampiric (+2) is just plain funny. Wounding (+2) drains Con.

Editor (Energy Damage): For some reason I just like the idea of adding cold damage to this thing. It’s just the image of choking someone, them turning blue, then ice building up on their head that just makes me smile. The players open a closet to find a missing guard tumble out, horrific expression on his face, his head encased in a block of melting ice. That’d creep the hell out of me.

Editor (Subterfuge): First, you need eager. Not for the initiative, but for the +2 to damage during the surprise round, as well as the free action to draw. Imagine it jumping out of your pocket into your hand as you walk past an unsuspecting victim. Hideaway and shrinking, used in conjunction, could reduce the weapon to a speck. Sizing also works, and lets you increase the size, after you successful start to strangle, so you can increase the damage. Don’t forget silent moves, since chances are, you will be sneaking around with this thing.

Editor (Locking): The locking garrote lets you leave someone to die, because it locks in place. For the locking garrote, there are two WSAs that jump out. Consider the WSA explosive. Sure, you’ll get caught in the blast the first round, but after that, the target explodes every round until he gets it off. Add sonic damage and you have yourself a distraction to draw people’s attention, but dangerious to actually help. On top of that, add fleshgrinding. Even after you get the locking garrote unlocked, you’ll still need to overcome the fleshgrinding to pry it off. And after 5 rounds, it returns to you, so you don’t have to worry about coming back to retrieve it.

Editor (Killing with kindness): Make the garrote into a necklass. Add fleshgrinding, vicious, and masterslaying. Maybe explosive if you want to be noisy about it. Give it to someone as a gift. When they put it on, wait. Activate it at your whim. With luck, they die in five round, then it returns to you. I suggest you hang out somewhere that gives you an alibi.

Editor (Smoking): +1 bonus. Just plain awesome. Since you have to enter the same square as someone you are using a garrote on anyways, while not have a 5’ x 5’ stinking cloud that makes your target nauseated. Since nauseated targets can only make move actions, and resisting a garrote is a standard action, it’s an instant win! Pity the saving throw is only a DC 14.

Editor (Vorpal): The obvious. Vorpal. +5 bonus. The funny thing is, even something designed to go around the neck won’t automatically cut off someone’s head. You still need to roll a 20. I would talk with a DM about this one. Sounds like it should work better then it does.

Editor (Whirling): Uhhhhh… Well… Technically… It IS a slashing weapon, so you can technically put whirling on a garrote. Whirling works for three rounds a day, so you can strangle everyone for that long. I can’t even imagine what that would look like.

Editor (Implacable): This causes bleeding for 2 hit points a round for five rounds. It stacks with itself. So If you want to be messy and covered in blood as you stalk the halls of a castle, looking for people to strangle, this is the +3 bonus for you. I don’t recommend it for the damage, but I do recommend it for the creep-tastic imagery it gives me.

zook1shoe

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 12:03:04 AM »
Make the garrote out of Gehennan Morghuth-Iron to deal Dex damage.

Have a Raptor Arrow relic on the second string of a Elven Doublebow, to avoid that pesky move action to reload. But it still is only one extra attack per Raptor Arrow strung per round.
Do you like DnD 3.x high optimization?
Ask me about a cool 3.5 multiplayer gestalt gladiator game!

Nytemare3701

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 01:04:04 PM »
Dragon 316 and 355 have expanded Garrote rules.