Author Topic: Warhammer 40k: Dark Heresy  (Read 4380 times)

Geigan

• Team Awesome
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Dev Team Magic 8-Ball Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Warhammer 40k: Dark Heresy
« on: March 18, 2012, 02:05:14 AM »
So my friend has been bugging our playgroup to try this thing and despite the fact that it's complex gameplay is practically the opposite of Legend we thought we'd try it. By the time we got there it was clear that he didn't quite fully grasp the rules himself and didn't know a lot about GMing so after an encounter I was asked to take over. I have never even played anything Warhammer related and I'd never seen the system before this weekend when he showed me the book, but hey I guess I can just improvise. I've never even read anything about the setting until this weekend also, so I'm starting from scratch on a campaign here as well. Simple enough. Oh, and I'm apparently running it every Saturday for awhile until my group decides whether they like it or not. I think I've grasped all the basics of combat and am reasonably capable of running the game as long as I've got the book in front of me for reference. I've also got my basic story map for the first part of the adventure done since the setting seems really easy to pull things out of for a story, though I might have violated a star chart somewhere by just sort of making an adventure on a type of planet without defining exactly where it was but whatever, the lore police can give me a ticket and direct me to the proper solar system.

Does anyone have any experience with this system? Likes, dislikes, tips on running, tips on playing, etc etc.

gkathellar

• Tactician
  • Global Moderator
  • Ace
  • My right hand was thunder, and my left was stone
  • Scroll of Scribes RoC Staff Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing Dev Team Art Aficionado Magic 8-Ball
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Warhammer 40k: Dark Heresy
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 08:50:48 AM »
I suggest you read the TvTropes entry on the setting to get a feel for it. It's pretty detailed.

Warhammer 40K is grimdark enough to be hilarious, but plays itself almost entirely straight. Your mileage may vary on whether it ends up awesome or just kind of bland as a result.
Seven is the Number of Legend.
This is my mod voice.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 02:07:57 PM »
Is this a separate RPG system, or the tabletop wargame? I suspect the former, but I only have experience with the latter.
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Geigan

• Team Awesome
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 03:45:14 PM »
Is this a separate RPG system, or the tabletop wargame? I suspect the former, but I only have experience with the latter.

The RPG system, Dark Heresy. Focused on the Imperium, meaning all players are acolytes of the Inquisition. In my current game the group is part of the Ordo Hereticus under Globus Vaarak sent to investigate suspicious unrest on a feudal planet. A bit backwater and very odd to be making any fuss which probably means something serious, so in go the acolytes to burn out some heretics.

DaviTheEccentric

• Mook
  • Just stands there. And watches.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 10:29:31 PM »
Two things to remember regarding Dark Heresy:

1. The Warhammer 40k setting is a big place, and there's a lot of weird stuff in it. Also, the guys at Games Workshop played so fast and loose with canon anyway you could find two books out there that support whatever idea you have being in the setting. So don't worry about not being in-canon, just focus on running good adventures.

2. You know how the example adventure in the back has a Challenging Climb test to not sprain your ankle climbing up a steep hill? Yeah, that's bullshit, don't do that. Starting characters or not, they're still supposed to be competent enough at their jobs to get hired by the Inquisition in the first place. So, especially in the early days when they have a 30% chance of success before modifiers, be generous with the bonuses. Even if you're taking a black comedy approach, people like feeling competent.

Just keep that in mind and look at the Errata and you should be fine.

Djtooth

• Rogue
  • Elite
  • Tourist wielding a Pez dispenser that holds kunai.
  • Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 08:32:57 AM »
War-hammer 40k seems like an interesting game to play. But i was always deterred by the high costs of the model pieces.
Its interesting to see they have a tabletop RPG version that doesnt costs hundreds of dollars and many fragile play pieces.
I will see if i can convince my group to play "dark heresy". Hopefully then i will be able to help you with any questions you may have.
Two dictionaries and a chicken were playing tag one day, they are joined by a tree and some marshmallows.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 08:45:30 AM »
War-hammer 40k seems like an interesting game to play. But i was always deterred by the high costs of the model pieces.
Its interesting to see they have a tabletop RPG version that doesnt costs hundreds of dollars and many fragile play pieces.
I will see if i can convince my group to play "dark heresy". Hopefully then i will be able to help you with any questions you may have.
I just have to say that the space marine figures are not fragile. Other races, sure, but the space marines models are very sturdy little chunks of plastic. My dad constructed special carrying containers for his dark elder army to protect them, I could throw my space marines in a box.
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Geigan

• Team Awesome
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 03:49:31 PM »

Two things to remember regarding Dark Heresy:

1. The Warhammer 40k setting is a big place, and there's a lot of weird stuff in it. Also, the guys at Games Workshop played so fast and loose with canon anyway you could find two books out there that support whatever idea you have being in the setting. So don't worry about not being in-canon, just focus on running good adventures.

2. You know how the example adventure in the back has a Challenging Climb test to not sprain your ankle climbing up a steep hill? Yeah, that's bullshit, don't do that. Starting characters or not, they're still supposed to be competent enough at their jobs to get hired by the Inquisition in the first place. So, especially in the early days when they have a 30% chance of success before modifiers, be generous with the bonuses. Even if you're taking a black comedy approach, people like feeling competent.

Just keep that in mind and look at the Errata and you should be fine.
Yeah, I was a little dubious of the percentile system at first when I saw how small chance of success was for even simple things. But then I saw that there were modifiers to make sure that simple things still made sense, and then the world was sane again. Thank you for the errata as well. I didn't even look at the sample adventure because the guy who suggested the game said it was boring. I just started running something off the top of my head, and it didn't implode into an uncontinuable shape so I guess I'll keep running it.

You seem to have forgotten who your GM is again DJtooth. Perhaps you should see a doctor about that oncoming case of Alzheimer's, and then just show up on saturday so you can play some more. >_>

<------- Hint: GM is this person
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 03:53:21 PM by Geigan »

Djtooth

• Rogue
  • Elite
  • Tourist wielding a Pez dispenser that holds kunai.
  • Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Eye of Seeing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 07:59:53 PM »
Starting to think ti know this Geigan person from somewhere...
Two dictionaries and a chicken were playing tag one day, they are joined by a tree and some marshmallows.

Kalik

• Ranger
  • Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 01:49:15 PM »
Starting to think ti know this Geigan person from somewhere...
Don't let him lie to you!!!!

I'm also in their playgroup and I have to say the system almost feels like everyone playing differently spec'ed fighters from 3.5. That's not to imply that it isn't entertaining, but from what I've seen the only class that doesn't shoot/smack something has a one in ten chance of making crazy shiz happen, which gets worse as they level, which is rolled when they do any of their special class stuff, and the crazy shiz has about 1 in 10 chance of being hazardous. Like death. Or summoning something that is more than capable of killing your party. Keep in mind that this was all our first and second time playing, and we were low "level" (it's not so much a level system as an exp system, but whatever). All in all it seemed fun.... If you like dead players. The game seems designed with having someone die every few encounters, actually... But like I said, new game, low level. All in all pretty fun

Geigan

• Team Awesome
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 11:40:28 PM »
That poor runner that your psyker accidentally summoned a demon on top of. He was just lucky that it got summoned outside the ship they happened to be riding on. It was hilarious because the demon actually managed to maul the guy just enough to the point where he couldn't run away, but was still just barely alive when the demon's time was up and poofed. Funny how that worked out.