Author Topic: Spell optimization within party  (Read 1559 times)

loganic

• Monk
  • Elite
  • Problem Solver Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Spell optimization within party
« on: January 29, 2013, 05:29:54 PM »
I know that 3.5 doesnt have the kind of spell synergies that say 4e does, but it's still worth asking,
If  we're playing casters, (in my case my cleric is playing with a bard and wizard), are there certain spell thats that we should start off with that to help each other out?

That isn't a section that seems to be covered much in most handbooks I've come across, except treantmonk's wizard handbook

Dawnmor

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Spell optimization within party
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 02:05:42 PM »
Well, What level are you ?, you starting out at level 1 ?

If its level 1 the bard doesnt get any spells, but I say, determine who is the buffer of the party, who will concentrate on making the part GODs essentially.  Wizards are supposedly the best at doing this, as they get all the good arcane buff spells but Cleric also gets buff spells that the wizard doesnt get.  So have the wizard get buff spells that clerics dont get and vice versa.  As for the Bard, I suggest he just sing his heart out, enough said lol his primary buffing comes from singing to grant +hit/+Damage.  From sining Inspire Courage I believe its called, not 100% sure, I never played a bard but man a friend did and he was insanely awesome even if all he did do was sing and play games on his laptop lol.

Concerned Ninja Citizen

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Spell optimization within party
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 09:12:05 PM »
Level would be good to know here but a few general things:

The first thing you can do is make sure you're not doubling up on situational spells or things one caster can handle.

In particular, find out what the Bard has as spells known and don't worry so much about preparing those.

Beyond that, it depends on what your respective characters are trying to do. There are quite a few solid spell comboes. Some of the simplest ones involve casting debuffs that lower your opponents saves, then save or suck/die spells. If you've got two casters cooperating, you can do that in one turn.

If you are low level, Cause Fear is a good example of a spell that works better in combination with other casters. All of you can get it as a 1st level spell. It makes its target shaken even if it saves. This is key, because shaken, not only lowers saves, making the second Cause Fear more likely to work fully, but as a fear effect it stacks.

So if the 3 of you take on a character with a gigantic will save, if you all cast Cause Fear you will panick it for a round, no save. A panicked creature can only run away, it can't act otherwise, so if you've cornered the bad guy your melee dudes get to beat on it for free for a round.

A similar trick involves using the Shaken condition granted by Cause Fear to effectively boost the DC of another spell. Hideous Laughter (lv 1 Bard spell) is a good one for this.

That's low level stuff but the principle is the same at higher levels.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 09:25:09 PM by Concerned Ninja Citizen »