Author Topic: Questions about the rules, thread #2!  (Read 77891 times)

Psyga315

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Questions about the rules, thread #2!
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2013, 08:25:03 PM »
Q9: I apologize if the answer is obvious and I haven't looked for it, but how is damage dealt and where's the page that discusses it? I know that half of one's KOM adds to the damage, but other than that, I'm not sure how it's dealt.
Q10: Is the die that you roll fixed or does it vary from weapon to weapon?

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2013, 08:38:25 PM »
Q9: I apologize if the answer is obvious and I haven't looked for it, but how is damage dealt and where's the page that discusses it? I know that half of one's KOM adds to the damage, but other than that, I'm not sure how it's dealt.
Q10: Is the die that you roll fixed or does it vary from weapon to weapon?

A9 base damage is 1d6+KOM. Its on page 292
A10 The die you roll is fixed, but [brutal] can increase your damage, and the weaponized feat can replace it with KOM
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Gikkman

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2013, 01:20:25 AM »
Q 11
If I attack with a Grim Herritor and as I hit, I wish to use my stored spell. Will the attack with the Grim Herritor still deal normal damage from the attack, or will there be no damage at all (unless the spell deals damage)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2013, 01:23:01 AM »
Q 11
If I attack with a Grim Herritor and as I hit, I wish to use my stored spell. Will the attack with the Grim Herritor still deal normal damage from the attack, or will there be no damage at all (unless the spell deals damage)
A11 the attack will steal deal all the damage it would have dealt if you didn't channel.
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Warmask

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2013, 07:33:58 AM »
Q12: With abilities that allow you to replace a defense with something else in response to an attack (e.g. Reign of Arrows' Ricochet, Acrobatic Adept's Just That Quick), or when using the Rogue's 2nd circle Esoterica Radica ability to gain a defense bonus as an immediate action, can you use these abilities after the attack roll has been made (i.e. at the point when you actually know whether or not you actually need to use an ability to avoid being hit) or do you have to declare that you're using them as soon as the enemy's attack is declared?

DragoonWraith

• Sage
  • Global Moderator
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Dev Team Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • DragoonWraith.com
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2013, 09:56:55 AM »
A12: I believe you have to use them after they declare that they are attacking you, but before they roll. Once they roll, you have already been hit (or not, as the case may be).
Legend contributions: As Above, So Below (rewrite); Reap the Whirlwind, A Personal Touch, Kept Secret, Kept Safe (Professional Soldier); Combat Alchemist (extra track)

Vicerious

• Minion
  • Foolish Mortal
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2013, 01:22:32 PM »
C12: Additionally, if an ability allows you to react after the die roll result is known, it will say so.
"A witty saying proves nothing." --Voltaire

Warmask

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2013, 03:36:43 PM »
C12: Additionally, if an ability allows you to react after the die roll result is known, it will say so.
Q12.5: If this is the general rule, then does that mean that Parrying weapons (and other reactive damage-reduction abilities) must be used before the result of the damage roll is known, as after the roll is made you've already suffered the damage and can't reduce it? I couldn't find any instances in the rulebook of abilities that specifically state that they can be used after the result of an opponent's roll is known, only abilities that you can activate after the result of one of your own die rolls is known.

mwchase

• Minion
  • Typo Hammer Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2013, 06:21:26 PM »
I've got a variety of questions, some of them less about how to apply rules, and more about how rules were applied.

Q13: On level up, is total HP calculated by adding HP/Level to the previous total (RAW, page 34), or by recalculating based on (level+1)*HP/level (easier to calculate, e.g., for characters created above first level)?

(Sorry if that's a little silly, but I was seriously contorting myself trying to work out how the Dire Wolf's HP works, until I realized that it's possible for its KDM to be constant for the first four levels.  That solves one problem, and makes it actually possible to work out the starting array for it.  But speaking of that...)

Q14: Why is the total HP for the Dire Wolf 80 instead of 75?  I get base 12/level from chassis, +3 from KDM (assuming CON is ability 1; if STR is ability 1, I get more confused because the HP should be 2 lower, due to lower starting KDM, if RAW p34 is intended).  This works out to 15/level, constant across the first four levels, which works out to 75; I seem to have missed a +1.

Q15: Previous discussion of the Dire Wolf ended on the note that an explanation of the +2 to CON would come out eventually.  It's 1.0, and maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, but I'm not seeing it.  So... what's going on there?

Q16: Adaptation (p46) advises that bonus feats should have a minimum level prerequisite of at most 3.  Several of the bonus feats in core now (Arcantric Accuracy, Chatty Bugger, Lightbender Adept, Weaponized, Terrifying Shout) have a level prerequisite of 6.  I'm not sure how to phrase this, I'm just trying to figure out the rationale, for homebrew purposes.

Q17: Can a Skeleton Champion only take [Weapon] feats that can be taken at first level as a bonus feat?  (From "Any [Weapon]" feat")  If this is the intention, is it laid out in the rules anywhere?  (I'm aware of the restriction for "Any one", but not for "Any [subset of all feats]".)

KyleJ

• Paladin
  • Elite
  • Maker of Cool Stuff
  • Typo Hammer Eye of Seeing Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2013, 06:48:49 PM »
A13: It's actually (KDM+HP/Lvl) x (Lvl+1), so when your KDM changes, so does your HP.  The way it's written is fairly confusing, but nothing we can do about it now.  Go with what's on the sheet.

A14: See above.

A15: Utter Brute got a Con bonus as of 1.0 that wasn't there before.

A16: Use your judgment case-by-case.
Remember, the rules exist to facilitate the game, not the other way around.

Alternative OFFICIAL Character Sheet
GM Screen (OUTDATED)
Quickstart Sheet
Mook Quicksheets

IF YOU WANT ME TO SEE SOMETHING QUICKLY, PM ME. I don't check this forum regularly.

mwchase

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2013, 06:59:48 PM »
C14: But the KDM is +3.  (3 + 12) x (4 + 1) = 15 x 5 = 75. (It's a coincidence brought about by low levels that it's possible to reach this result through addition instead of multiplication.)

C15: Okay, so at least now I'm just looking on one page—HOLY **** I AM BLIND :O.  Question withdrawn.  (I mean, I must have missed it because it was in around the second biggest type, and outlined in green.  That's the ticket.)

Yoder

• Sage
  • Miniboss
  • I exist.
  • Ballot Box Eye of Seeing Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2013, 07:29:31 PM »
A 17: Any time there's "Any", whether truly any or any of a subset, that restriction still applies.
"Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle."
~ Michelangelo

My Homebrew

My friend just shared this: "Remember that time Gandalf convinced the whole party to flee so that he could take out the Balrog and not have to share any of the XP? Shows up the next session with fancy new robes and everything. What a jerk."

sakuuya

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2013, 01:01:54 AM »
Q18: Is the second part of the Mummy's Growing Horror ability (where the first enemy it hits in a turn becomes [Shaken]) a [Fear] effect? It seems like it should be, but it's not explicitly marked as such.

mwchase

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2013, 01:08:23 AM »
A18: I seem to recall that the answer is yes, but I can't find confirmation in the rules.

VertigoCharades

• Sage
  • Global Moderator
  • Minion
  • Magic 8-Ball RoC Staff Ballot Box Dev Team Dungeon Delver Problem Solver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2013, 02:05:19 AM »
A18: I seem to recall that the answer is yes, but I can't find confirmation in the rules.

It's certainly our intent. We'll try and make that much more explicit. Thanks for bringing that up!