Author Topic: Questions about the rules, thread #2!  (Read 94458 times)

KyleJ

• Paladin
  • Elite
  • Maker of Cool Stuff
  • Typo Hammer Eye of Seeing Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Questions about the rules, thread #2!
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2013, 02:06:44 AM »
A18.1: [Shaken] is itself a fear effect.
Remember, the rules exist to facilitate the game, not the other way around.

Alternative OFFICIAL Character Sheet
GM Screen (OUTDATED)
Quickstart Sheet
Mook Quicksheets

IF YOU WANT ME TO SEE SOMETHING QUICKLY, PM ME. I don't check this forum regularly.

Potent Imp

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2013, 11:38:12 AM »
Q.19 : The incantation version of Holy Smite simply mentions that the target takes 1d6 damage per level. From what i understand of the revised version of incantation, I hit the enemy with incantation+smite, the enemy takes incantation damage + 1d6 per level + 1d10 per level, and everyone in a 30 ft radius is affected by holy smite. Is the damage right, and does the target get a save against the 1d10/level? Thank you.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2013, 11:52:37 AM »
Q.19 : The incantation version of Holy Smite simply mentions that the target takes 1d6 damage per level. From what i understand of the revised version of incantation, I hit the enemy with incantation+smite, the enemy takes incantation damage + 1d6 per level + 1d10 per level, and everyone in a 30 ft radius is affected by holy smite. Is the damage right, and does the target get a save against the 1d10/level? Thank you.
A19 This is incorrect. You do not get the normal effect of the spell in addition to the incantation version. It would hit one target, and do incantation damage + 1d6/level with no save.
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Draz

• Paladin
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2013, 02:53:01 PM »
Q20 Is it intentional that the Combat Alchemist's Probability Redistribution does not actually require spending any Transmutation Points?

Don Jentleman

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2013, 08:33:18 PM »
Q21: Can Floating Feat be used on your bonus feat in order to designate it as an empty feat slot?

Tim4488

• Elite
  • Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2013, 10:06:19 PM »
Q22: Does Runesong Scholar's C4 require a Swift action to use, or is it a non-action to activate?
"MY BLADE THIRSTS FOR MORE LEGEND." - Valixes

My homebrew.

Draz

• Paladin
  • Elite
  • Typo Hammer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2013, 06:00:41 PM »
Q23 Can Martial Magister increase the save DCs of the special maneuvers in Discipline of the Serpent (Pushing Blow, Neutralize, Open Gate, Close Meridian)?

DotS doesn't define a Save DC for itself, just for your Maneuvers.  Therefore I must conclude that the DCs of the above maneuvers are maneuver DCs, not Track DCs.  Martial Magister can increase your maneuver DCs, but only for the five maneuvers listed in the feat description.  I'm hoping I'm missing something here.

Warmask

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2013, 06:20:02 PM »
A23: "Select a track with at least one extraordinary ability that forces a saving throw. You gain a +2 feat bonus to the DCs of all abilities granted by that track". As written, the feat grants a +2 feat bonus to all abilities granted by a track. There's nothing in the wording that says "except for special combat maneuvers granted by a track." As such I would say that the +2 would apply to all abilities granted by the track, even if they are also combat maneuvers, and you also get a bonus to certain combat maneuvers that are not granted by the track.

Q24: Looking at the above wording, would Martial Magister grant the +2 bonus to spells, SLAs and supernatural abilities granted by a track, so long as the track has at least one extraordinary ability as necessary to qualify for the feat? It just says "all abilities granted by the track", not "all extraordinary abilities". Is this intended, or an omission? (I don';t know if there actually are any tracks that both have extraordinary and other types of abilities requiring saving throws)

Razanir

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2013, 09:03:02 PM »
Q25) Is an Elementalist affected by his own Conjurer's Insidious Doom (C5)?

Metool

• Rogue
  • Elite
  • You ever lose hope?
  • Eye of Seeing Ballot Box
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2013, 11:25:10 PM »
A24: That is intended. For example, if you select A Reign of Arrows, which has 5th Circle – A Crashing of HeavenEX (A massive-damage [Death] effect that allows a Fort save for a lesser effect), you would gain a bonus to the save DC of 7th Circle – Thus Always UntoSU (a swift-action turn opener that attaches [Energy drained 1] to your attacks and allows a Fort save for a lesser effect.)

A25: Conjurer's Insidious Doom states "creatures" (and "each creature"), which means all eligible creatures, not "target creatures", allies or opponents (you can't be your own opponent). The Elementalist in question is usually a creature, and so would be affected. There is no choice in this.

EDIT: adding this
Q26: Smiting, "4th Circle — EscalationEX: Whenever your Struggle ability activates, [...]." When is Struggle considered to activate? An example attack action with Smiting 1 through 4, assuming all attacks hit, would be preferred as an answer.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 11:33:59 PM by Metool »
"Honestly, I don't know if this non-core option is 1.0-ready"

No, it isn't. It may be updated at some point but it isn't 1.0-ready, which is why it isn't in 1.0. Anything that isn't in the 1.0 core rulebook should be treated as not being 1.0 compliant and used with caution if at all.

mwchase

• Minion
  • Typo Hammer Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2013, 12:13:03 AM »
C25: Doctor! Doctor! It hurts when I do this!  (Sorry.)

C26: Tentative answer in the case that the opponent does not have Fortune's Friend C4, or something else that can remove [Battered]:  It looks to me like the first hit resolves as normal, the second hit activates struggle and gets +CHA and inflicts [Battered], the third hit gets +CHA and inflicts [Dazed] unless the save succeeds, and the fourth hit gets the first +CHA*2 and inflicts [Dazed] if the third attack didn't. On the other hand, if they can take [Battered] off of themselves between attacks, then I, personally, would specifically like to know if the fourth hit counts as an activation. (I believe the second hit does, not sure about the fourth.)

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2013, 02:27:18 AM »
C25:However, if you took the elemental resistance option at circle 2, when it upgrades to immunity at circle 6 you will be completely immune to your insidious doom, and hence it doesn't matter if you are hit.
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Vicerious

• Minion
  • Foolish Mortal
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2013, 09:28:11 AM »
A26  Here's a step-by-step with 4 attacks by my interpretation.  We'll ignore Smiting circles 5 - 7 for the purposes of this example, and that all attacks hit.

• Hit 1: The attack does +Cha damage, from Conflict.
  • Hit 2: As hit 1, and Struggle activates, granting your attacks +Cha for one [Round], including this attack.  The opponent is [Battered] for 1 [Round] by Escalation.
  • Hit 3: The attack does +2xCha damage, from Conflict and Struggle. The opponent is [Battered] for a total of two [Rounds] and must save or be [Dazed] for one [Round].
  • Hit 4: The attack does +2xCha damage, and the bonus granted by Struggle increases, for a total of x3Cha.  Struggle has been active since hit 2, its bonus is just bigger now.  The opponent is now [Battered] for a total of three [Rounds].  You've already used your once-per-[Round] [Daze] attempt on a [Battered] opponent, so another save is not necessary.
It should be noted that the [Dazing] part of Escalation is independent of the Struggle part, and would always trigger (once per [Round]) against a [Battered] opponent, regardless of how they became [Battered].
"A witty saying proves nothing." --Voltaire

Warmask

• Mook
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2013, 04:33:18 PM »
Q27: In my current game there is a Shaman with Combat Alchemist as his optional track. If he applies a Combat Alchemist poison to an Arcane weapon, can he shoot poisoned incantations, or cast poisoned spells?

Zaq

• Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2013, 04:34:52 PM »
Q28a If I have two things that can each be used as part of a move action, can I do both of them, assuming I do not actually move (or do anything else with that action)? (For instance, can I make a Knowledge check for Tactical Insight and prepare a Flash-Bang from Demo Man's C2, assuming that I don't do anything else with that action?)

Q28b If I have a thing that can be done as part of a move action, can I use it as part of another thing that can be done as a move action? (For instance, if I have access to Fire Elemental C3, can I use Flame Kiss as part of the move action used to activate Guile, from Heroica C2?)

Q28c If I have a thing that can be done as part of a move action but has no stated use limit per [Round], can I use it twice as part of the same move action, doing nothing else in the process? (For instance, can I make a Knowledge check for Tactical Insight as part of a move action, then make a different Knowledge check for Tactical Insight as the other part of that same move action?)

I do verb now and again, but gerunding is my real passion.