Author Topic: Man of Steel  (Read 4072 times)

afroakuma

• Administrator
  • Elite
  • Prayer Wing Scroll of Scribes Problem Solver RoC Staff Art Aficionado Eye of Seeing Aquarius Dev Team
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Man of Steel
« on: June 22, 2013, 04:01:45 PM »
Who's seen it? Opinions?

Personally, I liked the
Spoiler
childhood issues with X-ray vision - the implications of having a child with super strength have been done often enough, but that sort of disorienting and alienating experience was cool to see and well thought-out.

I did not like the
Spoiler
movie.  :P They traded out one kind of cheese ("KNEEL before ZOD!") for a stinkier kind ("Unleash the WORLD MACHINE!!!" and "WHERE IS THE CODEX?") while bringing in dull, dumb super-fistfights of the kind Nolan ridiculed in TDK and largely wasting a supporting cast that could have done fun things. It was a cold, drab film.

Mystify

• Sage
  • In Mithril Reborn
  • Scroll of Scribes Typo Hammer Magic 8-Ball Editor's Highlight Ballot Box Dungeon Delver Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Man of Steel
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 03:15:56 AM »
My thoughts
Spoiler
First off, it suffers from origin story syndrome. They make a new superhero movie, so they feel compelled to rehash their origin, even when everyone already knows it,and even when its the 12th reboot they've done. Even though man of steel tries to embrace being an origin movie, they don't really spend enough time on his development. They did a decent job with krypton in the beginning, but his development was very fragmented, and it rushed through a lot of things. Some parts where good, but it was lacking overall.
Once the major conflicts started happening, it didn't like taking time to slow down and consider the issue. Its just "oh, people are attacking battle" "ok, thats done, quick, launch an attack so we can continue the battle" "ok, thats done, quick, battle over here". Some of the battles don't even seem to serve any purpose beyond having kyptonians punching each other. Nothing seemed to be at stake, it was just a battle for its own sake.

I don't expect a superman movie to be realistic, because come on, its superman. But self-consistency would be nice. What gives kryptonians powers was very iffy. one moment simply breathing kryptonian air is enough to strip superman of his powers, the next people with breath masks are jumping around and punching people,  the next the air causes supersenses, the next superman is flying around in space without issue....

This feels nitpicky, but the colors on superman's suit make no sense. They establish the suit as a purely kryptonian thing. Superman never designed it, he didn't alter it, its just kryptonian garb. However, kryptonian stuff seems to be very black. Everyone was wearing black on krypton, zod and co are in black, and superman is handed a brightly colored suit. They could have established the black as military garb, or related to their house,  or whatever, which would have let Zod be black still, yet allowed the el's or other families to use colors, which would allow his suit to match up.His suit is an iconic part of the setting, and hence the background should support it.

It did do some things right. Lois being able to track down his identity, for instance, really lends credence to her chops as a reporter, esp. if the series continues and it would remove the incredulousness of Lois working with Clark and being regularly saved by superman and not making the connection. As fro said, him learning to deal with sensory overload was an interesting aspect.

Also, for all the "is the world ready" they go on about, they didn't really deal with that. They showed a couple of individual reactions to his presence, mainly in the military. No public reaction at all, no hint at his impact, all you really know is that there are now a whole bunch of wrecked stuff.

Mainly, the movie is worth watching if you enjoy collateral damage. In the second half its basically nonstop. Seriously, its a ludicrous amount of collateral damage, even for superman.
My extensive collection of homebrew
As always, Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

Rokku

• Minion
  • Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 10:47:51 PM »
Spoiler
Worst movie I've seen in years.

turalisj

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 02:30:15 AM »
@Rokku: You apparently haven't seen DBZ Evolution. Or Last Airbender. Or any Twilight movie. Or... I could keep going, really. How about Green Lantern?

afroakuma

• Administrator
  • Elite
  • Prayer Wing Scroll of Scribes Problem Solver RoC Staff Art Aficionado Eye of Seeing Aquarius Dev Team
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 09:04:45 AM »
Just means Rokku has good taste/is particularly fortunate.  :P

turalisj

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 03:07:47 PM »
 I'm just saying, there are far worse movies. Like almost every other superman movie ever made :P

afroakuma

• Administrator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 03:48:30 PM »
I'm just saying, there are far worse movies. Like almost every other superman movie ever made :P

Eh, 3/5 on par with this. It was pretty stinking bad though.

Rokku

• Minion
  • Art Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 06:28:20 AM »

Oh I'd put this FAR at the bottom of the pile of Superman movies.  Not that *any* of them are good, but Man of Steel is so aggressively bad.  It's been ages since I saw any of the other ones, but I'd probably go like... Original, Returns, 2/3/4 in no particular order, and then Man of Steel.

And yes, I saw Green Lantern.  It was bad, but just in being generally disappointing.  It didn't make me angry like Man of Steel does.

(I've also seen DBZ Evolution, which while bad, is at least kind of dumb fun.  I skipped Last Airbender because I love the show so much and why would you remake perfection?  Twilight I've entirely sidestepped because I'm not a twelve year old girl.)

I'm sure there's worse movies than Man of Steel, (I hear "The Room" is pretty awful) but I don't ever want to see them.